Looks like a stout bottom end Doug. I agree, you'll be better served with the 195's. Just got my engine done and already dreaming of the AFR 195's. :rofl:

Really good example of the power of the AFR 195's here Doug:

383 Stroker Upgrades - Project Homewrecker - Super Chevy Magazine All Pages

The "low priced" heads they removed are my Patriot 190's. A good head design at one time (pretty much an aluminum Vortec head) and a good value but no longer competitive against the latest AFR and Dart heads. Quite a substantial increase from a head swap after the cam change in the article.

i think with the added oomph of a 406 an overdrive trans would be prudent. swapping from a th 350 to a 200r4 is a relatively painless easy route to take. it would be pretty nice to get 30% better cruising mileage with a big inch small block. i think the bto level 2 should fit the bill. :D

Bowtie Overdrives - View Item

A 4L80E would live a long life I would think. Basically a TH400 with OD. Some good controllers out there now and it gets you away from the TV cable.

Hey Doug and Greg,
I am contemplating the same tranny swap ie-A 200 4r in my C3.
I have a Corvette Central catalog 4 c3 and on page 150 (bottom right) there is a kit to allow the use of a factory shifter. I was wondering if this might include the shift slide and indicator. Do u think this kit might come in handy?

My '78 is stock so I believe it's a th350. I am taking a 200 4R out of an 87 Monte Carlo. I found another kit on a tranny site that has an electrical plug that goes to the trans and the wires hook up to your brake lites to unlock the converter. this allows u 2 use the computer controlled tranny in a non computer car. the kit was about 39 bucks. That along with the kit from CC should solve the main probs----The tranny length (if I am not mistaken) is close enuf to allow use of the old driveshaft, without any mods.

But the Monte has a crate 330HP 350 that comes with the 200 4R. So I will be transplanting engine and transmission. It was Greg who first asked me about the electrical end of the swap. Monte has a controller----78 doesn't. He was right----I had to look into it.

I am aware of the tv cable and how to set it. The converter is my concern. I don't have the car here and so I don't know if there is a wiring plug that goes to the trans. from the controller. Can u explain?

for me personally,i will be using the bowtie unit as it is complete with harness etc. for me the entire set up will be from bowtie. i may even use their crossmember to create more room for the exhaust system. whichever kit you decide on bob, i would suggest getting one that has all the connections and harness. for me i am leery of vacuum and a non stock camshaft. :D

I noticed the kit u linked me 2 says for cars with no cruise. I have cruise, so they must have an alternate kit? So, in fact the TC is controlled (on these trans)by the Electronic Control Module---(ECM) Was it the Modulator Valve on the Powerglide that controlled the TC? Now u will be using the brake light circuit to lock or unlock the TC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.