Took delivery of my C8 this week. Although the car is all I expected my delivery from the dealer wasn't as pleasurable. Expecting an invoice total here's what the dealer added and I'm wondering how much of this is standard; 'Etch' charge - $600.00, tank of fuel - $175.00, PDI - $1500.00, admin fee - $400.00.

After some discussion with the dealer's general manager I got the fuel fee dropped to $100.00 and the 'etch' fee down to $300.00 (although I didn't order this I was told 'we do this to all our vehicles' which I think is BS). Before I contact GM about my satisfaction survey I'd like to hear if others have had these or other charges added. Even after I disputed the 'etch' fee that I did not order, nor would ever have bought if I had the option, they still only reduced it by 50%.
Sounds about right. BTW my Acura was stolen in March, and the etching company paid me $5k. I thought it was total crap, until I got the $$$.

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
Leamington GM. My salesperson was fantastic to deal with, none of my issues are with him, strictly the GM and the owner of the dealership.
That is exactly why I did not even approach them about ordering a car. Bought a work truck from them once and they did everything to screw me over. I chose to go outside the area with my deposits. I saw your pics on Facebook of your car at the dealership. It looks like a nice build. I thought of you on Saturday as it snowed ... I hope you still got to take it for a cruise! If you are from the area I look forward to seeing it on the road. Hopefully my wife and I will be able to place our order next week for our yellow C8. Enjoy!

There is no doubt the General Manager wanted you to give up the car as they could make an extra $20K on it selling it to someone else. Instead they tried to get as much out of you as they could with their various fees. These fees vary greatly from dealer to dealer. Some don't charge an admin fee and some charge $600 or more. Last time I ordered a new car in 2021 I had the salesman give me a print out of what the total cost would be including all fees and taxes so there would be no surprises. When the car arrived I paid exactly what was on the print out. This is where your sales person let you down, he should give all customers this info whether you are purchasing a $20K Chevy Spark or a $100K Corvette. There is probably not much you can do about these fees at this point, however, when I picked up my new car in 2021 the salesman told me I would be receiving a survey from GM. He said if I can't give him a perfect score I should talk to him to resolve the issue. You can let the dealer know now they won't be getting a perfect score from you on their survey. Also, you can post a Google review to let the public know about this dealer's practices. This won't get you any money back, but if it costs them one sale because someone read your review and went to a different dealer they will lose more than all the fees you paid.

I saw a video on YouTube , that says, the prep, is paid back by GM Canada , in full and we should not pay for it. Also the law , in lots of places , says do NOT pay for anything you did not order. As for gas , my dealership always gives me a full tank of gas , for free , when I buy a car from them. When I finally ordered my C8 I asked the total price would be what and he sent me receipt, so I asked again, any other charges and he said prep. I will ask to cancel this charge when I go pick it up.

• Haha
Reactions: AndrewJ
Man, I hope I don’t get screwed in January when mine arrives especially having waiting since 2020. Another member who referred me paid MSRP so my hopes are high but you never know.
I feel for anyone in this position, but really these are questions that should be asked before even considering making a deposit.
When I asked this and other questions, I was told that Brian Cullen would never consider charging over MSRP. Him, the owner, knows the value of reputation and repeat customers. Of course, when I made my deposit, Canadian pricing wasn't available so I did take some chances. Of course one should do what one is comfortable doing and so one may take the chance of paying over MSRP if one can afford to.

I'm not aware of an Ontario dealer charging over MSRP, however, I've read complaints that one of the big 3, (not Spencer or Cullen) add on their own charge of mandatory tire insurance and key fob protection? One of their salesmen posted an attempt of justifying it on here but it wasn't very convincing.

I do have a break down on the final numbers and hope they stay with that. Hopefully when I take delivery in April I will get a tank of fuel at least. Only complaint is I have to pay over $2000 luxury tax. Something our govt needs on vehicles over $100,000. Nice

Is it 10% of the invoice that's over $100k?
Check this thread

I do have a break down on the final numbers and hope they stay with that. Hopefully when I take delivery in April I will get a tank of fuel at least. Only complaint is I have to pay over $2000 luxury tax. Something our govt needs on vehicles over $100,000. Nice
At least you don't have to pay 10% provincial sales tax...

What did you order?

I'm sure I have your old GS. Have sent you a PM. Doug.

I ordered a 2023 HTC 2LT in Red Mist Metallic. Hopefully starting the build in Dec and take possession in Feb and deliver it here in April
GST + 20% luxury tax on the amount over $100,000.
Yes Doug has my 2019 GS.

So..............a bit of an update on my situation. The GM of the dealership called me last week because of some 'social media comments' he read. Maybe this forum? He didn't say, however he wanted me to go meet with him to try to sort out the 'concerning comments' that he read. At the end of a lot of discussion, and my calling him out on all the BS fees the dealership tacked on, I ended up getting $1000 back on the extra fees they decided to arbitrarily add for things I didn't want nor would I ever have agreed to. I believe he expected me to profusely thank him when I opened the cheque. Although it was appreciated it didn't alleviate much of what happened.

One thing that made me laugh was that he said part of the fees was because they emptied the air from the tires and re-filled them with nitrogen. I told him that was THEIR decision, not mine, and that I would have been fine with the air that they put in the tires in Bowling Green. He tried to justify that extra cost for again, something I didn't want nor was told about. When I also asked him why they tried to charge me $175 for a tank of fuel his answer was 'gas isn't free and we have over 1500 employees that we have to pay'. I told him a tank should be free when you hand him a bank draft for $106,000.00. He didn't have an answer for that and continued to lie and claim that 'everyone does these things'. When I told him other dealerships don't and other costs are minimal he again told me that everyone charges all the same fees.

He went on to say that all the rest of the commenters on the forum lied or didn't know how things worked. This included multiple dealerships I called along with half a dozen salespeople/managers at other GM dealerships that are NOT part of this particular ownership group. Not a single other GM dealer my family has bought from in the past 50 years, including my parents and in-laws, EVER paid a dime for fuel on a brand new car nor had fees tacked on for extras that they didn't order nor wanted. His answer again was that everyone else was wrong.

I also cancelled my order with them for the high wing spoiler and labor I had already paid for and I re-ordered the high wing for $300 cheaper from a dealer in Ottawa. The treatment I received from the GM at that particular dealership made my experience horrible and I walked away feeling like a 16 year old kid buying his first car and getting chumped by a GM who thought I didn't know better and was going to swallow all the BS he kept feeding me. Dealing with him killed any excitement I had after a 19 month wait. I really hope no one here has a similar experience but it might be a good idea to ask your dealer EXACTLY what the final price will be before the car arrives to avoid the garbage I dealt with.

Last edited:
I also have always paid for fuel and office charges which I'm OK with.
The one thing I would call BS on is the nitrogen. I believe BG does inflate the tires with nitrogen at the factory. It's pressure is slightly more stable than air since air is only 78% nitrogen. So with pressure monitors it's a little more desirable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread