Aug 14, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
2023 Amplified orang
Province
ON
Took delivery of my C8 this week. Although the car is all I expected my delivery from the dealer wasn't as pleasurable. Expecting an invoice total here's what the dealer added and I'm wondering how much of this is standard; 'Etch' charge - $600.00, tank of fuel - $175.00, PDI - $1500.00, admin fee - $400.00.

After some discussion with the dealer's general manager I got the fuel fee dropped to $100.00 and the 'etch' fee down to $300.00 (although I didn't order this I was told 'we do this to all our vehicles' which I think is BS). Before I contact GM about my satisfaction survey I'd like to hear if others have had these or other charges added. Even after I disputed the 'etch' fee that I did not order, nor would ever have bought if I had the option, they still only reduced it by 50%.

These are all BS fees. Did you pay MSRP? If so, they probably hoped you would back out so they could sell it for a premium. BAD Dealer!!!!
I believe that's exactly why they did it. I thought I was paying MSRP but ended up paying $2300 over which, albeit minor compared to the U.S., is still bullshit. As soon as I questioned the charges the GM repeatedly said 'so you don't want it'? After the third time he said it I said 'what, the car or the extra stuff I didn't order'? I think they had someone else lined up and tried me to back out. I plan on contacting GM directly and let them know what happened, not sure if they will refund anything but at least they'll know about it. I'm curious as to what others here have been charged, especially the etch, PDI, and admin fee amounts, if any at all.

Took delivery of my C8 this week. Although the car is all I expected my delivery from the dealer wasn't as pleasurable. Expecting an invoice total here's what the dealer added and I'm wondering how much of this is standard; 'Etch' charge - $600.00, tank of fuel - $175.00, PDI - $1500.00, admin fee - $400.00.

After some discussion with the dealer's general manager I got the fuel fee dropped to $100.00 and the 'etch' fee down to $300.00 (although I didn't order this I was told 'we do this to all our vehicles' which I think is BS). Before I contact GM about my satisfaction survey I'd like to hear if others have had these or other charges added. Even after I disputed the 'etch' fee that I did not order, nor would ever have bought if I had the option, they still only reduced it by 50%.
Very disappointing and BS!! Corporate Greed is out of control....Curious what Dealer this is?? No reason to not call them out...

Step one: Did you get a purchase agreement when you placed your order (Allocation assigned)?
That is the time to challenge anything. Of course you should also have asked all about these things before placing your deposit
Not 100% sure, but recent ads on the tv state that you should only pay the advertised price for a car. To me that means MSRP if they quote to you that that is what you would pay. Anyway, caveat emptor applies here.

Many places etch the windows as a theft protection scheme.
I declined that option, but they did add many theft deterrent stickers to the windows.
I paid 2000 freight, 100 for gas, 249 admin fees, 100 for a/c tax, 10 for omvic fee and 3091 for GMPP

If their charges are out of line you don't have to go to GM, just contact OMVIC.
In fact if you mention OMVIC to the dealer they will quickly resolve any wrongdoings if they are going outside the rules... no dealer wants a call from those guys.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Regarding the deposit question, from the first day I got on the allocation list I never put a dime down. Even after the order went to 3000 status they still didn't ask for any funds. Technically, at the time the paperwork was presented, I really had no legal 'right' to buy the car because no paperwork in my name existed. No purchase agreement, no bill of sale, nada. The GM had me over a barrel and my guess is that he had another buyer lined up and tried to get me to back out on the purchase. Just my theory though...........

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
Regarding the deposit question, from the first day I got on the allocation list I never put a dime down. Even after the order went to 3000 status they still didn't ask for any funds. Technically, at the time the paperwork was presented, I really had no legal 'right' to buy the car because no paperwork in my name existed. No purchase agreement, no bill of sale, nada. The GM had me over a barrel and my guess is that he had another buyer lined up and tried to get me to back out on the purchase. Just my theory though...........
In order to enter an order into Workbench they need a customer name. They still can not order for stock. They could enter anyone's name of course and unless you asked for a copy of the workbench entry and got an order number, you were essentially screwed. Again, a lot of things you did wrong to save on a deposit. And I wouldn't let the salesman off the hook. He was NOT looking out for your interests.
Edit: Not blaming you. When I placed my order I had no idea how things worked with Corvette sales and only the honesty of Brian Cullen saved me from what could have been several bad errors on my part.

In order to enter an order into Workbench they need a customer name. They still can not order for stock. They could enter anyone's name of course and unless you asked for a copy of the workbench entry and got an order number, you were essentially screwed. Again, a lot of things you did wrong to save on a deposit. And I wouldn't let the salesman off the hook. He was NOT looking out for your interests.
Edit: Not blaming you. When I placed my order I had no idea how things worked with Corvette sales and only the honesty of Brian Cullen saved me from what could have been several bad errors on my part.
Whether or not the dealer put my name on the workbench or not I don't know however here's the facts to disprove what you claim I did 'wrong to save on a deposit'. With the dealer who I ended up getting my car from, on day 1 I was told 'we don't need a deposit but when the order gets accepted we'll take a couple grand'. Every other dealer I called, including the other three lists I got on WITH deposits, wanted a deposit. This included one large dealer who I fronted $2500 for their deposit so I wasn't looking to save a buck on ANYTHING. This dealership NOT taking a deposit didn't sway my decision as I put funds down at three other dealers to get on their respective lists.

On the day my order went to 3000 I asked 'so how much deposit cash do you need?' I was again told 'nothing, you're good'. Why? I have no idea, maybe because it is a smaller dealership and many of my workmates buy vehicles from them, but that's just a 'maybe'. I tried to give them a deposit and twice was told I didn't need to. When I got the order number, and AFTER being told I didn't need to put any funds down, I called the Concierge to get an update. The Concierge had NO info relating to me on the order. No name, no phone number, nothing. Everything on that order number came back to the dealer's name and address and after I gave the Concierge THAT info they then confirmed status of the order. The lady I spoke with actually updated and added my name on the order details. So to disprove your claim I did ZERO wrong and didn't try to save anything.

Whether or not the dealer put my name on the workbench or not I don't know however here's the facts to disprove what you claim I did 'wrong to save on a deposit'. With the dealer who I ended up getting my car from, on day 1 I was told 'we don't need a deposit but when the order gets accepted we'll take a couple grand'. Every other dealer I called, including the other three lists I got on WITH deposits, wanted a deposit. This included one large dealer who I fronted $2500 for their deposit so I wasn't looking to save a buck on ANYTHING. This dealership NOT taking a deposit didn't sway my decision as I put funds down at three other dealers to get on their respective lists.

On the day my order went to 3000 I asked 'so how much deposit cash do you need?' I was again told 'nothing, you're good'. Why? I have no idea, maybe because it is a smaller dealership and many of my workmates buy vehicles from them, but that's just a 'maybe'. I tried to give them a deposit and twice was told I didn't need to. When I got the order number, and AFTER being told I didn't need to put any funds down, I called the Concierge to get an update. The Concierge had NO info relating to me on the order. No name, no phone number, nothing. Everything on that order number came back to the dealer's name and address and after I gave the Concierge THAT info they then confirmed status of the order. The lady I spoke with actually updated and added my name on the order details. So to disprove your claim I did ZERO wrong and didn't try to save anything.
Relax man! It wasn't meant as a slight, but what I said about workbench is 100% accurate! Dealers can NOT put in a for stock order! Plain and simple. I now know how these things work after being around here and elsewhere for over 2 years learning all about how these things work. I'm fairly certain that the concierge can not modify an order. They can take down your info and refer it to the people that can (The department name escapes me at the moment). They used to have direct access to that department, but abuse of the system by buyers made them change that. They now work off a weekly report.
Perhaps I chose the wrong words. If you were aware of how things worked, you would have been able to get the right answers long before being surprised by the extra charges.

Sorry this happened to you, it is too bad that a dealer is willing to tarnish the excitement, and joy of picking up your new car after waiting for so long.
Don’t let this bring your experience down, enjoy the car, and remember this when you need your next vehicle, and drive right past that dealership.
Enjoy your new car!

Back in 2020 I paid $2000 for freight and pdi, $350 for admin and $50 for gas.
Similar to me in 2019 for my C7...$2K or so for the standard GM freight, but $0 for the dealer...other than yes about a $3-400 admin fee, which seems to be similar across all brands these days. Gas would have been at the price of the day I would think...I don't think you can cram $175 of premium into a Vette or even close to it, can you?

The 2022 supposedly has a smaller tank than the 2020 and 2021. 60 litres as opposed to 71 litres. If the 2023 is the same, that would be $2.91 per litre. Don't know what your premium sells for down there but it's about $1.75 here. Of course a tech's time at $175.00 per hour for 15 minutes would add it up fast. Found out last time at my dealer that there is a $55.00 minimum labour charge as soon as tech moves towards your car. They get you coming or going.

The 2022 supposedly has a smaller tank than the 2020 and 2021. 60 litres as opposed to 71 litres. If the 2023 is the same, that would be $2.91 per litre. Don't know what your premium sells for down there but it's about $1.75 here. Of course a tech's time at $175.00 per hour for 15 minutes would add it up fast. Found out last time at my dealer that there is a $55.00 minimum labour charge as soon as tech moves towards your car. They get you coming or going.
A bit more in Ontario but I paid $1.90/L the other day for premium. They shouldn't be charging labour to fill the tank in any case. When my son picked up his new Mustang a few years ago the sales rep went out for a drive with him...stopped at a gas station...and paid for $30 in gas. Gas was 2/3 of today's price then...so the equivalent of $45 today. in any case that was for a base $25K Mustang...and what any dealer should be doing out of goodwill.

A bit more in Ontario but I paid $1.90/L the other day for premium. They shouldn't be charging labour to fill the tank in any case. When my son picked up his new Mustang a few years ago the sales rep went out for a drive with him...stopped at a gas station...and paid for $30 in gas. Gas was 2/3 of today's price then...so the equivalent of $45 today. in any case that was for a base $25K Mustang...and what any dealer should be doing out of goodwill.
Totally agree but it appears some dealers are thinking different these days unless it's negotiated prior to purchase.....and signed in blood by the dealer.... lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread