Hi. This little trip has Cathy and I pretty excited. Like Black 03 Z06 said, an interesting turn of events. Absolutely!

I have four older siblings, after this trip I'll have a few stories and history updates to tell....

From Cathy and I, :Cheers2: to all! :thumbs:

Reactions: Dub
Okay. So we check into the hotel and spot the security guards everywhere. No idea what was going on. While we were relaxing across the street at the Cathedral Social Hall guess who walks by.....the pictures were taken just before JT thrust his hand over the rail, in my face and says hello!

Attachments

• IMG_20170831_192356.jpg
    IMG_20170831_192356.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20170831_192355.jpg
    IMG_20170831_192355.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170831_192354.jpeg
    20170831_192354.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I said, Hello sir....not on board with the fellow but you have to be respectful. I understand he will be staying a day or so, we will probably see him again.

Wow that's not going to happen often in life. Cool experience for sure. The guy moves around the world like rock star. I am all over the planet and I get asked about him all the time. Most people I meet in random airports and bars really like the guy as he seems to represent Canada in a progressive, positive youthful way.
I think we as Canadians are getting good representation from him internationally. Domestically...well political discussions are a minefield...
:Beatdeadhorse:
Your response was very appropriate as anything else would have got you on a list...
Thanks for sharing this experience.
D :thumbs:

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Wow that's not going to happen often in life. Cool experience for sure. The guy moves around the world like rock star. I am all over the planet and I get asked about him all the time. Most people I meet in random airports and bars really like the guy as he seems to represent Canada in a progressive, positive youthful way.
I think we as Canadians are getting good representation from him internationally. Domestically...well political discussions are a minefield...
:Beatdeadhorse:
Your response was very appropriate as anything else would have got you on a list...
Thanks for sharing this experience.
D :thumbs:

Lol. whats one more "list" to me?

Cheers.

Reactions: ddgermann
So I thought i post a general update to my trip and investigation into my ancestor(s).

Thursday - well it started with shaking hands with the big J.T. Just like I did, I'm sure he sent a text to all the leaders of the G7 bragging that "he shook Dik's hand...!!!". :Biggrin: Well, he sure seemed to be excited to grab my hand....:Woohoo:

Friday AM #1 - Met the local rep for the genealogy Society of Saskatchewan, Rene Stock, a super friendly guy but in the end the society did not have any new information for me.

Friday AM #2 - Stopped in at Archives of Saskatchewan at the U of S. What a great experience! The staff was very helpful and once we completed our membership/orientation they sat us down in the library then placed three files on the table for us to read. These were the 110 year old original "Land Patents" (titles) and any associated files recorded by the county registrar from Humboldt. Amazing to see! They scan and email all 19 pages for only $0.50/page!

Friday PM - Riley, we spent three hours at the Western Development Museum like you suggested. Simply fantastic! Our favorite was probably the steam locomotive.

Saturday - A visit to grave markers, leave flowers, visit the homestead, take pictures of the buildings I could see from the public access. Too many things occurred to explain in writing but l'll leave it with there is a very ... no, extremely high probability I have living relatives in and near Wakaw, Sask. .... and I have their phone numbers!

Sunday - return drive home. we made two brief stops, we drove just 10 klicks over the posted limit and still made it home in five hours.

My impressions: Saskatoon .... just go there. This city has its mojo! Book a top hotel (at very reasonable prices) right downtown and absorb the atmosphere. Pubs, restaurants, parks, river, events, theaters, the night-life all take place in the downtown core. It is within walking distance and is a great place to be. One warning; the food and beverage taxes were a shock to our system. GST @ 5%, PST @ 6% and two other line items which I suspect were downtown development taxes or levies? I should have keep the receipt(s)....

Cheers and thanks for any/all your advice and watching this thread.

Sincerely,
Dick

Attachments

• Dmytro, Paraska Bilovus - 2017 - 009.JPG
    Dmytro, Paraska Bilovus - 2017 - 009.JPG
    814.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMGP2052.JPG
    IMGP2052.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMGP1903.JPG
    IMGP1903.JPG
    668.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Homestead Barn - 2017 - 002.JPG
    Homestead Barn - 2017 - 002.JPG
    680.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
What an interesting adventure Dik. You really made the most of the trip and came away with more information and got on a watch list. :Biggrin:
Kidding I'm sure you checked out fine.
There is positive after positive in your trip.
Meeting JT was a bonus. I admit I would have enjoyed that too.
Thanks for sharing this with us. :thumbs:

Sounds like a great trip! Glad you enjoyed the WDM. I always like going there and checking everything out. In school I actually got to work with the Phoenix Crawler which is a steam locomotive put on tracks with skis on the front, used for in the logging industry to haul logs to the river from where they were cutting them. There was the engineer in the cab controlling the speed and one person sat on the front, turning the skis to maneuver the locomotive. Our project was to design an emergency stop that the person sitting on the front could use to stop the train as they were hoping to having it running for parades. It turned out one set of tracks was seized, so they turned it into a static display at the museum.
I'll have to check out the additional charges on the food downtown, I didn't know about that. I knew the Sask Party just added the 6% GST in hopes of curbing the provincial debt, but didn't realize the downtown was taking it's share.
If you ever come back through, let me know and we'll have to try to meet up.

Reactions: ddgermann
Hi Riley.

Yes, we really were impressed with Saskatoon and would have no problem making a return trip, hopefully in a C7 convertible. The weather could not have been better, hot and dry with a light rain Sunday morning. Really nice. Riley, another trip is very likely as I have a few new things to pursue regarding my ancestors.

The Phoenix Crawler; an interesting machine for sure and there were many others, far too many to show here. The entire city street was especially interesting to Cathy and I. We should mention that this entire museum is indoors, extremely well done and lacks zero amenities. What a facility!

IMGP2043.JPG

IMGP1965.JPG

The fire engine and hall was pretty impressive too.... The level of detail inside each shop was incredible.

IMGP2107.JPG
IMGP2104.JPG

I said, Hello sir....not on board with the fellow but you have to be respectful.

Sorry to say but,I would've turned my back to him. As I did Nenshi at the Manchester Stampede breakfast 5 years ago,in my city coveralls. He isn't respectful to western Canada. Sorry Dik,I wouldn't cross the street to spit at this clown.

Reactions: CableGuy
Glad you enjoyed the trip, and please let me know when you plan your next trip, the wife and I spend a lot of time in Stoon, and we do have a 5 year goal of moving back home to Stoon.

Hi.

My wife and I will be staying in Saskatoon this Thursday through to Sunday and would appreciate someone pointing us to a nice hotel to stay in. One with a nice/good restaurant and a pub ( ....or one near by) will do. I'm thinking a big, established hotel downtown? Also we will have time to walk around (or drive around) Saskatoon to check out some local attractions too.

My goal is to do a little research into my ancestors who were homesteaders at/near Fish Creek. Their graves are at St. Micheal's cemetery in Alvena. So we will make a short drive east and check out what I believe is the homestead property plus I want to visit the government archives.

Cheers and thank you in advance for any ideas you can pass on.

Dick
Hi! I live in saskatoon. Try the bes or the raddison

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.