Dik

Regular
May 7, 2014
St. Albert
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Z51 Convertible
Hi.

My wife and I will be staying in Saskatoon this Thursday through to Sunday and would appreciate someone pointing us to a nice hotel to stay in. One with a nice/good restaurant and a pub ( ....or one near by) will do. I'm thinking a big, established hotel downtown? Also we will have time to walk around (or drive around) Saskatoon to check out some local attractions too.

My goal is to do a little research into my ancestors who were homesteaders at/near Fish Creek. Their graves are at St. Micheal's cemetery in Alvena. So we will make a short drive east and check out what I believe is the homestead property plus I want to visit the government archives.

Cheers and thank you in advance for any ideas you can pass on.

Dick

Delta Bessborough or the Sheraton Cavalier are both right in the heart of downtown along the river. Lots of great restaurants and pubs both onsite and within easy walking distance. Can't go wrong with either one. :thumbs:

Delta Bessborough or the Sheraton Cavalier are both right in the heart of downtown along the river. Lots of great restaurants and pubs both onsite and within easy walking distance. Can't go wrong with either one. :thumbs:

Oh geez. Thank you very much. I'm all over this....

I am/was a Delta Privilege member.

I noticed the hotels are very reasonably priced!

Reactions: CableGuy
Sorry I'm so late, but I was actually going to suggest the Bessborough or Park Town. Great river views from both, and I always stay at the Park Town or Sheraton simply for the underground parking. Anyhow, you can't go wrong with the Bess, but if it is hot outside, you may find it a bit uncomfortable as it is an older building, and the ventilation isn't all that great, but what a great building. You'll enjoy touring the building, trust me.

Hey thanks for the note, Dub. I really appreciate your time on this. And just as I expected the Corvette community support will be much better than the generic web searches. Last year, for our 34 anniversary, I was suckered into a mountain retreat that was a bit too ..... "rustic" for us. We should have camped! So some local or first-hand knowledge from like minded people is by far the best route to go from now on.

Still no Vette yet so its the wife's Subaru for this trip.

Dick

Well have a great time, Saskatoon is a beautiful city with lots to do. On a side note, my cousin and her husband and kids actually live in Alvena:thumbs:. Her husband is from a family that has farmed there forever, so I'm not sure if I, or they, can help you out at all, but if so, please let me know. (I always say it, but it really is a small world).

Well have a great time, Saskatoon is a beautiful city with lots to do. On a side note, my cousin and her husband and kids actually live in Alvena:thumbs:. Her husband is from a family that has farmed there forever, so I'm not sure if I, or they, can help you out at all, but if so, please let me know. (I always say it, but it really is a small world).

Small world for sure. I have to run an errand but I'd like to send you a PM in a few hours with a couple of names; my original Austrian name and the current translation/spelling.

....amazing...shesh

Hi Dub. I just posted a PM to you.

Just as I mentioned in my PM, "you just can't get this type of information/exchange from Travago.com or Expedia.com."

I belong to a couple of other forums and I know this is the best community of them all. Cheers and thanks again to all for looking.

Sincerely,
Dick

Hello Ruff. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I considered just sending Riley a PM but I can ramp up my post count with a thread!
...... where is that guy anyway. Did he have a rough weekend?

If I had answered earlier, you would not have been able to raise your post count. :D , but seriously, I'm not on the forum nearly as much as I would like. Life has a way of making a person way toooo busy.

I see you selected the Bess. Nice hotel. I've never stayed there but it's the Bess so it's got to be good. Actually a really nice, hidden restaurant in the hotel is the Garden Court Café. I never knew about it, but my wife and I went there for supper years ago and it was quite good and not busy at all. You should be able to get a seat overlooking the garden/green space in the back of the hotel.

A newer hotel (last 5 years) that a lot of my friends rav about, and it quite neat, is the James Hotel which is attached to the Sheraton Cavalier, right on Spadina. It just has a really neat atmosphere and modern, clean rooms. Next time you're in town, I would definitely suggest that one.

Lots and lots of pubs downtown within a couple blocks. Another great restaurant is Cut, just half a block down on 21st Street. Hudson's is a casual, very chain like, pub. A cool, local pup is Winston's on the corner of 21st Ave and 3rd Street if you like trying unique beers. Let me know what sort of restaurant you are looking for and I can point you in the right direction.

If you guys are looking to go for a walk, I would suggest walking Spadina to the north and checking out Kinsmen Park. They have a scaled down train to ride on, Ferris Wheel and, it's just a neat attraction as a whole. Of course, it's geared towards kids but still worth checking out. Across the street is an art gallery. It's small, but gives things to look at.

How long are you actually in Saskatoon vs Alvena?

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Aaaah. There you are Riley! I hope you have been well. I haven't seen you since, well, since I sold my car and stopped attending the Ponoka rally. Shoot....this is getting depressing ....

I was considering the James Hotel based on the Booking.YEAH site then Dub chipped in and nailed it for me. And thank you for the excellent local information. Cathy and I will definitely be going for walks around downtown. I'm not picky with my beers but we enjoy both nice eateries and pubs too. Even though Cathy doesn't drink she likes to watch sports on the big screens with me. I'm a lucky guy for sure. We both like museums and antique shops.

The basic plan is; Friday spent at archives, etc. then walk around town to check out the city a bit. Saturday we drive out to Alvena to visit the grave markers. We will tour Saskatoon a bit more in the early evening. Sunday we return home.

I'm going a bit "old-school" ...... while I'm in Alvena, I may post a few paper notices on bulletin boards in gas stations and cafes entrances. You never know who might pass by and take a look. I'm targeting the folks without smart phones or computers! I have done the ancestor-internet thing on and off for a couple of years. I have armed myself with a bit of information but I found the government offices do not respond well to email queries and the data bases are not complete or tricky to flip through so I figure I'll pop in and talk to government staff first hand. I have traced my ancestors to landing in New York, one of two harbors. I'll investigate that angle further, after my Alvena visit.

Cheers.
Dick

Antiques and Museums! Well, have I got the place for you! The Western Development Museum down on south of Lorne Avenue is awesome! If you haven't been, I highly recommend that as a stop. Budget a couple hours. If it works for your timeline, they're open from 9-5 daily.

Thanks Riley. We will see if we can work that into our weekend.

Mike, if his trip is as interesting as I suspect then we may try the Sheraton the next time.

Cheers

Hi Dub. I just posted a PM to you.

Just as I mentioned in my PM, "you just can't get this type of information/exchange from Travago.com or Expedia.com."

I belong to a couple of other forums and I know this is the best community of them all. Cheers and thanks again to all for looking.

Sincerely,
Dick

I got it, and will be chatting with my cousin tonight. It's quite a small community and their family has lived there for as long as anyone can remember, so I'm cautiously optimistic that they may be able to help you out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.