Apr 27, 2010
Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
1998 roadster 6spd
Wondering what you use for each of the above? I bought some tire dressing from PartSource I am really impressed with, and it was on the discount table! I only use water for the vinyl and leather for now, but the parts are beginning to show that they need another treatment of some sort.

The dash is treated with something low sheen and looks great. I would love to get the same type of stuff that is on there but haven't a clue what he previous owner used. It looks like fresh-from-factory, not all shiny and reflective such as Armor All is prone to do.

You have to use some sort of protectent, it's all about the UV, UV kills dashes, paint, rubber and all trim. without some sort of add on, your hooped in the long run and resale value.
Any type of protectant in any form is a must, Armour all, in any format for interior use is what i use, first line defence, water does,, hmmmm Zero
Paint well thats a whole discussion thats on here already but always open for ideas.

Not to be a butt-hole but I have heard not so great things about Armor-All. However, I have always had fantastic results with Mothers products. They have a vinyl, rubber, plastic protectant that leaves no shine at all and works great on the weatherstripping, tires, cowl, etc. Now, with that said, I splurged on a giant Zaino kit as I have heard that Zaino makes the best product. I am excited to try it.

Not to be a butt-hole but I have heard not so great things about Armor-All. However, I have always had fantastic results with Mothers products. They have a vinyl, rubber, plastic protectant that leaves no shine at all and works great on the weatherstripping, tires, cowl, etc. Now, with that said, I splurged on a giant Zaino kit as I have heard that Zaino makes the best product. I am excited to try it.

Zaino seems to be one of the top products.
I am thinking about switching over from Mothers to give it a shot.
Let us know how it works out Riley.

Yeah agreed Postie, water does squat, but the car hasn't seen a ton of daylight this year. But, as you say, the vinyl needs protecting, a point to which I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the replies thus far and i look forward to hearing more on this subject!

OK, Mothers and Meguiars...I HATE the Meguiars vinyl conditioner, their version of Armor All. It is WAY TOO SHINY! I had to use some soap and take it off.

I do like their leather conditioner- it seemed to work very well. I tried a Mother's product called "Back to Black" which I also thought was good for re-blackening plastic or vinyl trim. It is like a white goopy cream that you apply with a cloth and rub in.

That's it so far, I just cleaned up the car for our family photo- will post a few pics when I get em!

Try Adams Leather Conditioner. Great on product because it is absorbed into the leather and keeps it soft and prevents the leather from cracking No greasy mess. I also use it on my dash because it does not have that glare affect in the windsheild. its the best results of all the other stuff I've tried

Try Adams Leather Conditioner. Great on product because it is absorbed into the leather and keeps it soft and prevents the leather from cracking No greasy mess. I also use it on my dash because it does not have that glare affect in the windsheild. its the best results of all the other stuff I've tried

:agree:

Works wonders

I've heard the same things about Armour All as well. What I heard was that it actually dries up the vinyl more than anything--don't ask me how. From what I remember finding something that was non silicone-based seemed to be important (or was it the other way around).:swear:

Water does nothing for me either, and I've never used treatment on any leather I've owned--even my couches. Maybe I'm lazy, but whatever. I would like to find something for the dash. I'll try some of the ones mentioned here.

Are you still on the Armour All Postie?

Armorall

Years ago I had a '79 Chev with a vinyl roof. When the car was old, the vinyl top was the best looking part of the car. I never saw any down side to the product. To me, however, the Armorall today doesn't seem to be the same as the old stuff.

I found that Auto Glym ( avail at Can Tire) has a good line of products. I also like Maguires but NO Armour All.

Meguiars Ultimate Hydrophobic Synthetic Liquid wax is my fav by a mile. Great wet look shine. Lasts longer than most paste, no white residue, you can wax the whole car first and then start over wiping and buffing.... No doing a little spot at a time... Wipes off easy and buffs to a great shine easy too.... Between waxes I spray detail with Lucas Slick Mist. Another easy to use product with great results. JMO

Armour all is a solvent based protectant.
It will actually draw the oils out of the rubber as it dries. It you've ever put it on your dash and had your car out on a hot day. You get fogging or hazing on the inside of the windshield as it wicks away. Not good. A great protectant to use is 303 Protectant.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread