Jul 25, 2012
Fraser Valley B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Convertible
Why Rodents are Chewing up Car Wires and What You Can Do to Prevent it. We live in farm country all around us and we use Bounce sheets everywhere in all three autos. But you have to change them every 6 to 7 months at most. They really do work. They chewed a bit out of a side to side thick rubber gasket just before the firewall. Dealer wanted $245 for a new one for my C5..
Al..

Last edited:
Yuck. Nice really scare me when they get around a car. I just found out my truck has mice in it that I have stored at the in-laws. No wires yet but the headliner is a goner.

I am worried about mice while in storage because I know they come into the garage this time of year. Despite best efforts with traps there always seems to be a few stragglers. I have traps under the car but will use the Bounce sheets inside and steel wool in the exhaust ports. I will add the sticky trays with some peanut butter in the engine compartment to hopefully stop those that get through the first line of defense. Sure hope I remember to take the peanut butter out before starting the car in Spring :Yuck:.

Reactions: ddgermann
I had trouble with rats camping out on the engine of my Infiniti G35, and the Nissan Maxima I had before it. A friend of mine was getting rats in is garage, he told me that his neighbour, an older Chinese lady, suggested pouring vinegar around the garage, and it stopped the rodents. I poured vinegar around the perimeter of my car port, then left a dish out near the front of the car, and the rats didn't return.

The ultra sonic deterrents also work, I've used the Victor Pest Control ones before.

• Agree
Before the rebuild started mice took dog food from the feeder (outside) and brought it into the corvette. They packed it everywhere! I was finding dog food in places I wouldn't have ever been able to reach without the tear apart.

I have found bounce sheets work well also. I have had good luck with mothballs (although admittedly not in a car) and Irish Spring Soap.

My moms cousin (who is a car guy) swears by leaving the windows down while in storage. seems backwards but I guess they don't like the airflow. Of course this is only if you have nice clean storage and aren't covering the car......neither of which I have or do.

Then there is always the mobile mouse deterrent....Simon (the Cat). He catches so many mice it is crazy. He will always leave parts of one for us at the house door or in the shop by the workbench when I forget to feed him for a day. Even though he is not allowed in the house we haven't had a mouse in the house for a few years. I guess him patrolling around outside the house is enough.

T

We don't have rats but we have deer mice. They can't get in my Vette cave though unless I leave either the overhead or the man door between shops open. And yes. I do that occasionally. I usually catch the odd one that sneaks in to the cave pretty quick as I do set traps for the just-in-case intruder...
I find that the mice around here consider Irish Spring soap their second choice of food after cheese. They ate half a bar that i use to have in my last RV. Poison just leaves a smelly dead mouse tucked away in a crevice somewhere.... My advice if you have mice or rats, is to take away all sources of actual food and set a few bait traps... It won't take long and you'll have enough for shish kabob...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.