I'm probably the exception to the rule in that I purchased the Range AFM disabler when I bought my 2019 GS, used it for a year and then sold it. I just found that driving in manual mode 99.9% of the time had the same effect as using the Range device. The remaining .01% is driven in full auto mode just to check for "shudder". So far, so good.

The unit does exactly what it claims, it prevents the A8's Active Fuel Management system from kicking in regardless of what drive mode it's in and it does it extremely well. The later versions do not add parasitic draw to the battery and they are easy to remove when taking the car in for service. Just remember to do so about 200 kl's prior to the appointment as there is a very small amount of trace code that has to dissipate from the ECU. Dealer probably won't check and it shouldn't affect the warranty anyway but removing it will eliminate any possibility of that discussion. Also know that by having the device occupying OBD II port constantly GM will not be able to scan your system and, as such, they will not be able to provide the normal details found in your monthly report. Again, no big deal.

The Range device will not change the performance of the vehicle. People have stated that the A8 shifts smoother, faster and I've seen one report of cooler trans temps. The device doe not have the capability of doing any of these things but it will certainly disable the AFM.

I see that the very latest units are also effective at disabling the newer Dynamic Fuel Management, or Skip Fire, systems, didn't know that.

Good luck
Ross

Reactions: Roughrider
I drive quite often in M mode, but I also do a lot of city driving where M isn't so fun but I enjoy not having the car enter V4 mode so I love the Range device for that.

Just plug it in and leave it in. Never had shudder issue so was not my concern, but it is something I would not hesitate to buy again. Having the V8 available when you want is great.

Had one in my GS and now in the ZO6...

Actually ended up with 3 through excessive ordering. Sold off the surplus and wouldn't be without one..

I see fastboatguy has one for sale in the parts section.

Note that Range, now that it is owned by Holley will not ship to Canada.

Reactions: Roughrider
Had one in my GS and now in the ZO6...

Actually ended up with 3 through excessive ordering. Sold off the surplus and wouldn't be without one..

I see fastboatguy has one for sale in the parts section.

Note that Range, now that it is owned by Holley will not ship to Canada.
It's coming today, I ordered from Amazon.

I finally got a chance to get out and check the range and it does exactly what it says. I’ll keep it plugged in to check for an electrical draw but I think it will be ok being at 9.1 update.
You should be fine then. That is the nice thing about the newest firmware version, just plug it in and go, never have to even think about it.

Im going to order one today for my 2019 Grandsport. Are you guys happy with your unit?

I got the AFM disabler. It worked well however I left it plugged in one day and it through so many codes with check engine light. Went to dealer and had all the codes removed so I got a switch that plugged in the OBD port and shut it off whenever I shut the car off. It became annoying. When I eventually changed the stock X pipe to a borla one, I put a tune on it and deactivated the AFM with the tune. The car runs always with all 8 cylinders firing. No more disabler. So much better

Do not understand what you are saying? are you asking if those of us with one are happy or that you went with tune and prefer not having one ?

Ive had zero issues with mine.

Do not understand what you are saying? are you asking if those of us with one are happy or that you went with tune and prefer not having one ?

Ive had zero issues with mine.
All I was trying to say is that I prefer the tune and not worry about the disabler. GM should not even have put the AFM to start with. In my opinion we don’t buy corvettes to run on 4 cylinders Lol. It’s a technology that they have had issues in the past with other vehicles and never should have put it in the corvette motors. I never saw any increase in mileage with the AFM active without the disabler. Just my opinion. Few more months my baby is coming out of storage. Cheers

All I was trying to say is that I prefer the tune and not worry about the disabler. GM should not even have put the AFM to start with. In my opinion we don’t buy corvettes to run on 4 cylinders Lol. It’s a technology that they have had issues in the past with other vehicles and never should have put it in the corvette motors. I never saw any increase in mileage with the AFM active without the disabler. Just my opinion. Few more months my baby is coming out of storage. Cheers
The active fuel management system was a ploy by manufacturers to lessen or totally avoid the US gas guzzler tax. The increase to certain vehicles that do not meet specific fuel mileage guidelines is between $1000.00 and $7,700.00 US and is levied at time of purchase. Same as why do I have a 7th gear in my M7 which I never use either.

Reactions: WPGZ06 and Nik

Completely agree. Useless on these cars, complete marketing ploy like @Rruuff Day said

Really weird. I was getting 15.2L / 100km on the average trip A with the V4/V8 mode. I reset this Trip A odometer when i bought the car in August last year. So this average is almost 6 months
With the range AFM disable, constantly in V8 mode now, i am getting 12.5L / 100 Km on Trip B odometer, which i reset a week and a half ago

Anyone getting these kind of numbers with the Range AFM disable? I am wondering if the engine was "tugging" trying to stay in V4 mode. I noticed my V4 mode would come on during the worst times, like going up small to medium long uphills

My fuel economy is actually much much worse with the device. The trip data is really inaccurate since it's reporting the same 12.5L for me as well but I'm having to refuel way more often now. V8 mode just chugs on gas even when cruising, however it's gotten rid of any weird noise/shakes the car does between the cylinder switching and the power is always there now so I'll take it.

Reactions: Canuck604
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.