Red Metallic C-Gen camaraderie photo op
at the Cruise Cochrane (AB) Event today.
IMG_9295.jpeg

Well.... Back from a month in the great white north. Travel went well and we visited some very interesting little towns. The smallest being Hyder, Alaska. Latest population estimate is 40 residents but has a little fish and chip takeout that served some of the best halibut I had on the trip. (And I had lots). There is no US customs gong into Hyder but there is a Canada customs coming out that employs 8 Cdn. border agents that are definately not overworked. We chatted at length with an agent on the way back from Hyder and she said the only reason they were there anyway was many years ago there was murder in Montreal and the gun was traced back to Hyder. She only asked us three questions. Did we have any firearms, did we drive up the the glacier, and did we stop for fish and chips...lol. The road ends there other than a 20 km turkey trail up a mountain that scared the hell out of Brenda. Near the top is the Salmon glacier. Found some great fishing streams this trip with abundant populations of Arctic Grayling that were willing to fight for a dry fly every cast. lol. The salmon were just starting to come up the streams to spawn but not allowed to fish for them during spawning season. Anyhows. Here's a couple pictures of some scenery, the SS. Klondike paddle boat displayed in Whitehorse that went up and down the Yukon river from Whitehorse to Dawson City 80 some years ago, and a couple interesting buildings, one of which they locally call the Whitehorse skyscraper. lol.
PXL_20230708_202641319.jpg
PXL_20230708_203116072.jpg
PXL_20230708_202302184.jpg
PXL_20230710_232811986.jpg
PXL_20230711_024058420.jpg
PXL_20230712_200535657.jpg
PXL_20230718_210231414.jpg

Well.... Back from a month in the great white north. Travel went well and we visited some very interesting little towns. The smallest being Hyder, Alaska. Latest population estimate is 40 residents but has a little fish and chip takeout that served some of the best halibut I had on the trip. (And I had lots). There is no US customs gong into Hyder but there is a Canada customs coming out that employs 8 Cdn. border agents that are definately not overworked. We chatted at length with an agent on the way back from Hyder and she said the only reason they were there anyway was many years ago there was murder in Montreal and the gun was traced back to Hyder. She only asked us three questions. Did we have any firearms, did we drive up the the glacier, and did we stop for fish and chips...lol. The road ends there other than a 20 km turkey trail up a mountain that scared the hell out of Brenda. Near the top is the Salmon glacier. Found some great fishing streams this trip with abundant populations of Arctic Grayling that were willing to fight for a dry fly every cast. lol. The salmon were just starting to come up the streams to spawn but not allowed to fish for them during spawning season. Anyhows. Here's a couple pictures of some scenery, the SS. Klondike paddle boat displayed in Whitehorse that went up and down the Yukon river from Whitehorse to Dawson City 80 some years ago, and a couple interesting buildings, one of which they locally call the Whitehorse skyscraper. lol.View attachment 112618View attachment 112619View attachment 112620View attachment 112621View attachment 112622View attachment 112624View attachment 112623
Amazing! Thanks for sharing. I am an avid fly fisherman - as confirmed by the number of: rods, reels, flies and other gear. Never made it to Alaska. The fishing there would be amazing. There is a special breed our rainbows there - huge - that feed on mice and other such creatures that venture into the water to say nothing about the salmon species available - I am partial to coho.

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. I am an avid fly fisherman - as confirmed by the number of: rods, reels, flies and other gear. Never made it to Alaska. The fishing there would be amazing. There is a special breed our rainbows there - huge - that feed on mice and other such creatures that venture into the water to say nothing about the salmon species available - I am partial to coho.
That's the Leopard Rainbow. Gorgeous fish and an interesting story. We have Cutthroat trout and Tiger trout here that are a ton of fun with a fly rod. My best day on a mountain creek that will remain un-named is an estimated catch and release of roughly 150 Cutthroats on dry flies. I swear in some pools, I would release a fish and it would come back and take a fly again 2 minutes later. Lol. If you never have, fly fishing Northern Pike in early summer with streamers is a ton of fun as well. I use an 8 weight for Pike as it needs to be able to cast a short steel leader to keep those razor teeth from breaking you off. Coho are a great fish. I get out to the coast every couple years for my ocean fishing fix.

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
That's the Leopard Rainbow. Gorgeous fish and an interesting story. We have Cutthroat trout and Tiger trout here that are a ton of fun with a fly rod. My best day on a mountain creek that will remain un-named is an estimated catch and release of roughly 150 Cutthroats on dry flies. I swear in some pools, I would release a fish and it would come back and take a fly again 2 minutes later. Lol. If you never have, fly fishing Northern Pike in early summer with streamers is a ton of fun as well. I use an 8 weight for Pike as it needs to be able to cast a short steel leader to keep those razor teeth from breaking you off. Coho are a great fish. I get out to the coast every couple years for my ocean fishing fix.
Yes, Leopard Rainbow!!! I'd love to go to a lodge in Alaska - expensive for a week; but, shared occupancy - none of my fishing friends interested - getting older.. I use to fish the Crows Nest Pass for many years for Cutthroat on the dry fly - good size fish. Montana for many years for bows and browns. I always wanted to FF for carp oddly enough - never have. Tight lines.... :Cheers2:

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Well.... Back from a month in the great white north. Travel went well and we visited some very interesting little towns. The smallest being Hyder, Alaska. Latest population estimate is 40 residents but has a little fish and chip takeout that served some of the best halibut I had on the trip. (And I had lots). There is no US customs gong into Hyder but there is a Canada customs coming out that employs 8 Cdn. border agents that are definately not overworked. We chatted at length with an agent on the way back from Hyder and she said the only reason they were there anyway was many years ago there was murder in Montreal and the gun was traced back to Hyder. She only asked us three questions. Did we have any firearms, did we drive up the the glacier, and did we stop for fish and chips...lol. The road ends there other than a 20 km turkey trail up a mountain that scared the hell out of Brenda. Near the top is the Salmon glacier. Found some great fishing streams this trip with abundant populations of Arctic Grayling that were willing to fight for a dry fly every cast. lol. The salmon were just starting to come up the streams to spawn but not allowed to fish for them during spawning season. Anyhows. Here's a couple pictures of some scenery, the SS. Klondike paddle boat displayed in Whitehorse that went up and down the Yukon river from Whitehorse to Dawson City 80 some years ago, and a couple interesting buildings, one of which they locally call the Whitehorse skyscraper. lol.View attachment 112618View attachment 112619View attachment 112620View attachment 112621View attachment 112622View attachment 112624View attachment 112623

Lot’s of amazing Fish & Chips places where I still am for 2 months … but nobody asks me on my way back 🤣
I’m giving the Maritimes Section a bit of life for now though … really Nice trip you had there 🙂👍🏻

Stripe Bass on streamers Delta area north of L.A. Had a blast - caught a lot of them. Cutthroat Crow Nest Pass are - big Bows in the CNR; but, hard to catch.

Attachments

• IMG_7744.JPG
    IMG_7744.JPG
    440.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3248 Cutty.JPG
    IMG_3248 Cutty.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 7
It has been said that you can't have too many toys.... This is my latest. My plow truck still works great but I decided I needed something extra in case of a big storm....lol... Rears are chained up so thinking should be able to move more snow than the truck. Also handy if I need to push a winter driven C8 out of a snow bank.... :snowplough:

PXL_20230820_213843437 (1).jpg

It has been said that you can't have too many toys.... This is my latest. My plow truck still works great but I decided I needed something extra in case of a big storm....lol... Rears are chained up so thinking should be able to move more snow than the truck. Also handy if I need to push a winter driven C8 out of a snow bank.... :snowplough:

View attachment 113829
How much was that? Did you get forks with it?

View attachment 113829
Nice rig, You should have gotten the tracks instead of the wheels, more grip in the mud and the snow.

Nice rig, You should have gotten the tracks instead of the wheels, more grip in the mud and the snow.
Tracks would be nice but I couldn't turn the deal down on this one and my main focus around the farm wasn't with mud and snow. It gets used very little and I have a tractor to do the dirty jobs... lol...

Users who are viewing this thread