That was my understanding as well. I called my local dealer last week and after giving them my VIN they informed me that mine already had the steering lock recall fixed.

I've heard the dealer recall fix doesn't totally fix the bug, that's why I decided to install this module.Now when I turn the key, I no longer here the steering wheel lock engaging it the steering column. I now hear it at the BCM (simulating a lock) in the passengers footwell, there by eliminating the lock all-together.

Reactions: hemicat
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing or not. I had my "auto on" headlights disabled through the cars computer. The C5's are hard on the plastic gears that drive the headlights up and down. So starting the car in the garage the lights would come on automatically, as they should I guess, but really did not need that function to work there. So to reduce wear and tear Manny programmed it out, did the column lock at the same time. Not sure if it is on American cars or not.

I just have to remember to turn them on at night now but I have a big sticky note on the dash for that. :Biggrin:

I bought some Radio Flyer LED tail lights that I need to install but I really want to get those front clear cut replacement DRL's. Riley has them on his C5 and they look really good.

Interesting about your lens housing burning through Ron. I have to check mine sometime, we cannot legally shut ours off here.

Reactions: Hotrodron
Just wanted to clarify. Has the wheel ever locked up on anyone while driving?

I've never heard of it happening while anyone was driving. I got the pull key wait 10 seconds message though just last week, but luckily I installed the lock bypass this past spring so it didn't lock up.

Reactions: ariker
Agreed. I never had my steering wheel lock up. When I bought my car, it had the recall from the dealer completed which means they remove the locking plate from the steering column (so if you can still turn your steering wheel with the car shut off, chances are you have had the recall done), and they also program the computer so if you get the column lock error and the car thinks it's locked the steering wheel, then it shuts off the fuel to the engine above 2mph.
My car experienced the dreaded column lock error about 10 years ago so I couldn't drive it and had to have it towed home as pulling fuse 10 and all the other 'fixes' wouldn't work. I ordered a column lock bypass kit, which if I remember correctly, is a small wiring harness that replaces the dealer installed K harness that they put in during the recall. The new harness tricks the computer into thinking the column is not locked, so you can drive your car. Later on I had the computer tuned to change the fuel cut off from 2mph to 241 mph (max allowable value) so that should the column lock error ever occur again, it won't shut off the fuel to the engine and I can still drive my car. At the same time I had the radiator fans turn on at lower temps so the engine wouldn't get as hot and also had the 1-4 skip shift light turned off.

Agreed. I never had my steering wheel lock up. When I bought my car, it had the recall from the dealer completed which means they remove the locking plate from the steering column (so if you can still turn your steering wheel with the car shut off, chances are you have had the recall done), and they also program the computer so if you get the column lock error and the car thinks it's locked the steering wheel, then it shuts off the fuel to the engine above 2mph.
My car experienced the dreaded column lock error about 10 years ago so I couldn't drive it and had to have it towed home as pulling fuse 10 and all the other 'fixes' wouldn't work. I ordered a column lock bypass kit, which if I remember correctly, is a small wiring harness that replaces the dealer installed K harness that they put in during the recall. The new harness tricks the computer into thinking the column is not locked, so you can drive your car. Later on I had the computer tuned to change the fuel cut off from 2mph to 241 mph (max allowable value) so that should the column lock error ever occur again, it won't shut off the fuel to the engine and I can still drive my car. At the same time I had the radiator fans turn on at lower temps so the engine wouldn't get as hot and also had the 1-4 skip shift light turned off.

Just curious if you tested that 241 shut down Riley ???????.....:rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.