HLN A55

High RPM Poster
Jan 27, 2009
Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Z06
Well I talked to a local shop today... wondering what I'm serious about doing for mods... :D

We didn't get in to any crazy details for pricing but the consensus was that a procharger install vs. a heads/cam (and all required parts) will run about the same with the procharger making about 25-30 more ponies.

What are your thoughts?

Can anyone in the biz throw me a semi-serious ball park number for both? Manny... I don't know you personally of course but sounds like this is your wheel house LOL???

We were talking about a set of trickflow heads and maybe an LG5x3 type cam...

Thanks

I would email Manny, or PM him,

There is very little movement on these sites untill, the weather changes and everyone get the cars tucked in for there sleep.

Brent

P.S. I dont know :swear: about this stuff!! I barely understand the thread at all, something about a pony for your daughter right?:D

I would do the Trick flows with the LG G5X3 over the Procharger any day.

Look me up dude and I will hook you up :D

Manny

Well I talked to a local shop today... wondering what I'm serious about doing for mods... :D

We didn't get in to any crazy details for pricing but the consensus was that a procharger install vs. a heads/cam (and all required parts) will run about the same with the procharger making about 25-30 more ponies.

What are your thoughts?

Can anyone in the biz throw me a semi-serious ball park number for both? Manny... I don't know you personally of course but sounds like this is your wheel house LOL???

Thanks

Trickflows have a steeper valve angle , which will allow you to run a higher lift cam without fly cutting the pistons . They also have thicker decks . There are many good head companies like AFR & Dart , I have always used the TFS and they have never let me down in any way

Never heard of T-rex cam , but you can find a ton of reviews on the LG G5X3 , which is considered one of the best cam mid cams around.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

A blower will deliver way more HP and cost same as H/C and will also pass emissions easily. I debated on this too, but decided to get an A&A kit to be installed this spring. Now the US $ is at par it's a no brainer. I am looking to turn my fairly stock (headers) ls1 into 510-525 rwhp for about $6500 installled and tuned. Gonna rip up the track this summer, can't wait.:canada::canada:

Back in '09 when I hadn't made up my mind, I spoke to Manny about this and he made some very strong points. There is nothing wrong with a supercharger build but leaving the rest of the car "as-is" as most people do creates other issues...

for $6500 I not only did I put port the 243 heads, install larger injectors, valve springs, head gaskets, camshaft, plugs, wires, oil pump, dyno tune, install full exhaust, but I also rebuilt the stock tranny with carbon blockers, steel shift forks, new gears and a new clutch and machined flywheel.

The issue with just bolting a supercharger on to (in this case) an older car is that there are many other components that were probably not up to the task when the car was newer, never mind now with higher mileage.

From my research, going to ~520 RWHP is going to seriously tax your stock clutch, tranny, rear diff, and axles but you're also doing all this with a stock oil pump, cooling system and valve train. The valve train especially was not especially strong on the LS-1/6 and I chose to address that as part of my upgrade.

In the end I've still got a beastly car but it remains very easy to hook up off the line and in the end, it's a far better and more reliable car AFTER the upgrade than before.

Just my $0.02 and my experience.

actually.. in the end it was about 8k with the brakes and everything else.. :D

one other factor for me was the additional maintenance included with having the blower that I didn't want. (one more belt and another piece of hardware requiring an oil change)

Now... no argument at all, if you're going higher than 520 at the wheels, you pretty much need forced induction of some kind, but i'm good for now :D

When the day comes, it will be a maggie style top mount for me... plus a new rear diff and axles LOL

yes... it IS an addiction...

I could have done any type of build I wanted . There are many personal reasons that I went N/A and not F/I .

I don't like centri blowers , I think they are cumbersome looking and sound like a broken ball bearings.

If I was to do a blower I would have done a roots type (Maggie) , as they are much more reliable ,sound better and perform from lower rpm.

The other reason is that anything over 550RWHP is a waste of time and money . Have a look around and see all the problems these guys are having .
No traction, broken parts left right and center and so on.

I will build anything people want , N/A , F/I ( Centri ,roots or turbo ) so long as I can build it my way . Which means that all corresponding parts beefed up as well .

There is a reason my builds stay together , and we don't have come backs.

Look at the parts that I use , they are from the top companies . I use only the best parts Comp, TFS , FAST , ARP, RPS , LG Motorsports , Vengeance Racing ect .

Everyone has their own favorite , this is mine from EXPERIENCE .

Last edited:
Well 1 point of clarity for me... Manny was way too far away for me to use in my own build but he helped me a great deal in deciding which route to go and the people that did my build worked to also a high quality build....

year and a half later... nothing but one oil change and ticking :)

nobody can't not disagree with Manny! there's a lot of vettes running around with a lot more power than mine, big blowers etc, we went NA instead though, Manny built it, no cheap parts, 12,000 km later, I can't count how many times I've been at the track and watched somebody beat me by a tenth with a trailer queen and break down after a few runs, while I can use mine as a DD and change the plugs once a year and drive it to and from the track and make 20 or more passes without a hitch...get constant low 11's, ...wifey takes it grocery shopping, drives the grandkids around in it, ..... SC is neat, but something to be said about simplicity and reliability...
ummmmmmmmmmm.... that's not to say I won't go FI someday though! :D

If I had my way, I think I would add turbos. But, Manny would be the front line of the build.

Honestly, I wish people would not get insulted on here. Each person has their opinion of what they like and if two people are arguing which is best, they may be actually arguing about two different things even if the subject or goal is the same.

For example, if arguing about the best way to build hp for the money. If I were to build a car for the quarter mile, I would go with a supercharger. Like Vettefan said, they are great power for the money. However, if I was planning on going to go on road courses, I would build an NA car as superchargers add weight to the front of the car and can suffer from building too much heat over time. Both build power but with different purposes and power curves/characteristics. Also, just as there are differences with cams, there are differences with superchargers as Manny said, Roots build power lower in the power band and centrifugal build power higher.

Also, think about the time frame of when you did your build if you have experience with these cars. Costs change and what someone can build a car for now does not compare to what was built years ago. Prices can go up, or they can go down depending on new technologies, the exchange rate, availability, demand, etc.

As HLN A55 said, building HP should be viewed with the entire car in mind. You can only push as much horsepower as the weakest link will take.

If we are to argue points, we need to define what we are talking about, were you got your information from, if it's first hand or a buddy said so. What the end goal of the project is, blah, blah, blah, and keep it civil.

I think we are doing just that Riley. We are all going to have our own opinions and experiences. Just sharing my own and why they were in my opinion the right ones and how I arrived at the decision that I ultimately did.
[mob][/mob]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.