This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

PPF and ceramic coating

Sep 3, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette C8 2020
Province
QC
Hi to all,
I will receive the E-RAY in August and I can't decide if I should do the PPF on the entire car or just the front of the car + rocks panels + side vents plus ceramic coating on the entire car.
Do you recommend ceramic coating?
I plan to keep for four years max.
Thanks!
Ian

Ceramic for sure. PPF front only for me + A-pillars and mirrors. Just hose it off unless you have been out in the rain or heaven forbid on a dirt road. Of course you definitely want to keep it in a garage if possible or put a cover on it when it’s parked. Congratulations on the E-Ray . Enjoy.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Ownership 4 years max. You are going to store it for 5 months of the year. Don't waste the coin on either, put it towards an Extended Warranty...
Don't listen to him! LOL
If you ever wash your car, ceramic makes things so much easier.
If, like him ^^^ you go through auto car washes, then by all means listen to him!

You are right Murr. I stand corrected. ian1975 throw 4-5k at it. The next guy will thank you...
4 to 5??
Try 2 at most!
And when are you selling your car? It's almost 4 years old and beaten up. The next guy will not thank you.

Reactions: JOHNNY MAC and KTJF
I have had ceramic and it was interesting and probably not a bad choice if you are not fussy about your car as you can hose it off and it looks OK. I recently recommended it to a friend who is not terribly fussy about his upscale daily driver but still wants it to look decent. However, for my C8 (Red Mist HTC) I want it to be sparkling all the time so I hand wash it frequently and wax it twice a season - fairly quick job on the C8. In that case I found no advantage to the ceramic at all so did not have it done to the C8 and glad I didn't. PPF is a very personal choice. I have 26k on my 2022 HTC and there is not a single chip on it anywhere and do lots of driving on secondary roads but avoid following trucks too closely on the major highways. As someone else said about the PPF, the next owner will thank you but don't expect them to pay you one penny more for having it especially if you are trading it in on your new C9.

I'm very much liking the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic line. The Ceramic Spray Coating supposedly lasts 9-12mos according to many accounts, and I've also gotten great results from the other products in the line like the Ceramic Wash, Wet Wax, and Detailer. My car looks clean after a rainstorm and often just needs a wipe down with the detailer spray, no need to do a full wash. Cheap compared to professional ceramic coatings, and if you have to clean your car anyway.... Worth trying for the price IMO. Lots of youtube reviews out there, but this has info on the whole line:

Last edited:
Reactions: Todcam and Bixter44
4 to 5??
Try 2 at most!
And when are you selling your car? It's almost 4 years old and beaten up. The next guy will not thank you.
Certainly depends on the brand of products used and duration of warranty . I think 2 g’s is low and 5 g’s is high. As usual the answer is somewhere in between. Just like porridge, lol. Now you two kiss and make up.

Reactions: Bixter44
Certainly depends on the brand of products used and duration of warranty . I think 2 g’s is low and 5 g’s is high. As usual the answer is somewhere in between. Just like porridge, lol. Now you two kiss and make up.
I paid 2100 for Ceramic pro gold which lasts 12 years!

Reactions: 1st Vette
Add 2k for partial PPF, now we are between $4-5k...
I made a boo boo. I paid 1600 for ceramic and 2100 for PPF. Both top of the line at the time.
However, we were discussing just ceramic. Which I think is well worth the money.
I can't argue about the PPF. That's a totally different discussion. Garage queens certainly don't need it. If it was my daily driver I'd want PPF at least on the front.
Edit: Living in the Oakridge Moraine we get a ton of gravel haulers and lots of stones being flung around. I wanted PPF

Reactions: 1st Vette
For my limited experience with my 24 so far one thing I am beginning to appreciate is the lack of need for wax . Both the time involved and the fact that over time wax both builds up and degrades. I had a rock hit the hood the second day I had the car from a truck passing in the other direction. Tore the PPF but the paint is fine. Definitely would have been chipped otherwise. But as with all things, to each their own. I also have no intention of ever selling my C8 . It goes to my Grandson in my will . Much to the chagrin of my lovely daughter I might add , lol .