What should Ontario do with front license plates

• Get rid of them

Votes: 35 100.0%
  • Keep them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I received a ticket in Saskatchewan for no front plate back in 2003. I asked the officer why it mattered and he said they rely on the front plate in case the vehicle is involved in a hit and run accident (?????). I asked if he knew if Saskatchewan would be eliminating the front plate. He stated they are never going to eliminate the front plate. The next year, the government eliminated the front plate. 😆
Hopefully it will finally pass to get your front plates eliminated one of these years.

I received a ticket in Saskatchewan for no front plate back in 2003. I asked the officer why it mattered and he said they rely on the front plate in case the vehicle is involved in a hit and run accident (?????). I asked if he knew if Saskatchewan would be eliminating the front plate. He stated they are never going to eliminate the front plate. The next year, the government eliminated the front plate. 😆
Hopefully it will finally pass to get your front plates eliminated one of these years.
Obviously you were ahead of your time Riley. Unfortunately you had to pay for it.

Very true! No plate ticket plus an inspection. Actually, not to go off topic, when I purchased my Corvette it had tinted windows. I got pulled over and given a ticket for the tint and needed to get it inspected at the cop shop. An officer who knew Corvettes came outside. Looked at the passenger side, check, walking around to the front, looked at the headlights and said "Are those....." and cut himself off right there as I think he knew if he asked the question, I'd have to answer and he'd have to admit the headlights weren't factory. :D It was pretty good of him to cut his own question off right there.

Reactions: LE BARON
There are only three provinces left in Canada that require a front license plate. They are; Ontario, British Columbia and Manitoba. New Brunswick removed the requirement this summer. I am constantly tweeting to the Ontario PC Party, Doug Ford and now Caroline Mulroney which is the new Minister of Transportation. From what I heard there was a lot of pressure from Ontario Police Forces to keep the front plates. Doesn't say much for Ontario policing if the majority of Canadian Police Forces can do their job with just a rear plate but Ontario can't. I keep tweeting them and making Facebook posts and emailing them all the time to have them reconsider.

Did not happen. They rejected the proposal and that's the end of that from my understanding. I just bought a new car for the family and there still issuing 2 plates. However I will be running my Corvette with no front plate, my previous daily driver (which I only had for 4 months) I made sure the dealer didn't put a plate or bracket on the front. I drove it 4 months without a second look. My wife works at the local hospital so there are always tons of cops there and in the area when I drop or pick her up. I've had them across from me in traffic staring right at my car and not even flinch. I hear that there are so many out of province cars in Ontario now that the cops don't even think twice to think anything of it. Either way I'm fine with the $150 ticket.

I think when you get a ticket for no plate it shows on your insurance as a ticket. Insurance companies take every advantage to raise our rates. One plate should be enough. Silly having two plates.

Reactions: G-ForceJunkie
Did not happen. They rejected the proposal and that's the end of that from my understanding. I just bought a new car for the family and there still issuing 2 plates. However I will be running my Corvette with no front plate, my previous daily driver (which I only had for 4 months) I made sure the dealer didn't put a plate or bracket on the front. I drove it 4 months without a second look. My wife works at the local hospital so there are always tons of cops there and in the area when I drop or pick her up. I've had them across from me in traffic staring right at my car and not even flinch. I hear that there are so many out of province cars in Ontario now that the cops don't even think twice to think anything of it. Either way I'm fine with the $150 ticket.

Didn't wear a front plate on my Mustang Cobra for twenty years.....pulled over twice and both times the cops stated it was illegal but they didn't want to be jerks after I explained why it was not on! (Ruins the aesthetics of the car).

My Corvette also has no front plate. When I ordered it I instructed the dealer not to install it. They in turn advised me that if I get pulled over not to admit to the dealer not installing it!

Well I drove my Corvette from May to October with no front plate. Pulled over once (rapid acceleration ) and the cop walked around the car but didn't say anything. I will continue to not wear a front plate until fined and then will reconsider.

Last edited:
Reactions: kerry4
No plates in NS.
Cops tried the same arguments here when we wanted to delete the front plate.

Hit and run, public safety, etc, etc, etc.

They lost.

Stupid arguments. probably had more to do with the gov’t seeing reduced costs on their part - only having to issue one plate. Funny thing is: the price of plates didn't drop one cent when they dropped the front plate and has only been increasing ever since.

Lots of stupid rules here in NS. I’m a firm believer that you should have to pay to register the car and for plates ONCE when you buy it and never again. Seriously, what are you paying a couple hundred bucks a year for? You’ve already got the plate and your info is already stored in their computers. What are you paying hundreds a year for? So the liberals can F-up my province even more, thats why.

Same with vehicle inspections. Every 2 years here now for newer vehicles. Still exccessive if you ask me and the things they require and check are just a ridiculously long list. It’s all just a big cash grab.

Don’t even get me started on off road vehicles. You need to register them yearly. You need to pay a provincial “trail fee”. Then you need a license, for which you need a course, which, strangely enough, you have to pay and instructor that the province approves. count on at least 300 bucks for that. Then you’re good right? Jump on that quad and go, right? Nope. Now you have to pay the local club to use their trails, thats an annual fee.

Oh, and if it snows, you have to go all through that again for a snowmobile. And these local club trail fees you had to pay? Not worth zip Once theres snow on the ground. Even if its the exact same trail (now covered with snow) you have to pay the local snowmobile club to use their trails. These trails are all on public lands by the way. And if you have a quad, dirtbike and snowmobile, you have to go through all that again for every one of them.

oh, lets not forgwt that if you go to a different part of the province and want to go off road, you have to payTHAT local club for a pass to use those trails, and they’re still trails on public lands.

NS needs some serious overhaul of all it’s vehicle related regulations. They’ve been stacking one after another on top of another and another. All the time the fees and permits just keep increasing in both cost and requirements. It’s gotten to the point that theres so many laws and regulations tou can’t help but break some of them.

I love my home province and I’m glad I made it back here for retirement, but man, does the NS gov’t piss me off sometimes...

Last edited:
Reactions: kerry4
Didn't wear a front plate on my Mustang Cobra for twenty years.....pulled over twice and both times the cops stated it was illegal but they didn't want to be jerks after I explained why it was not on! (Ruins the aesthetics of the car).

My Corvette also has no front plate. When I ordered it I instructed the dealer not to install it. They in turn advised me that if I get pulled over not to admit to the dealer not installing it!

Well I drove my Corvette from May to October with no front plate. Pulled over once (rapid acceleration ) and the cop walked around the car but didn't say anything. I will continue to not wear a front plate until fined and then will reconsider.

Rapid acceleration? Please inlighten me.... what was the fine?

Rapid acceleration? Please enlighten me.... what was the fine?

I went and copied an old post as it best descibes what happened........Hit my 800km's two Fridays ago..........less than five hours later I was showing a well dressed young man in blue my ownership and insurance. I went out to the dealer, outskirts of town to try out my newly accessible power. Prior to this the car was shutting down at 4,000rpms........(break in)

So I made a slow left onto 3rd line and let her rip, first gear almost to red line and then a couple of seconds in 2nd gear. The next thing I see in my rear view mirror is blazing red flashing lights, on the roof of a new city police truck passing the lady in the compact car that was directly behind me. I pulled over, the officer approached my car and he said "didn't you see me back there at the light?" I said, "officer, if I saw you back there do you really think I would have driven like that?" He laughed.

He then started asking me all kind of questions about the car. He said as long as I check out he would let me off. I told him although it might be difficult to believe however that I really was a responsible driver, with like one speeding ticket in my entire life and I'm a rules follower! He never asked me to slow down or really said anything. He walked around the car, asking more questions. I told him about the oil change in the morning which opened up the cars computer and horse power. Then he said, "so, you were just trying it out! I think I'd want to try it out too!"

He let me off, but it bothered me so much I didn't drive the car for a week. It is absolutely impossible to drive that car sanely.

So, almost red line in first, a couple of seconds in second at full throttle (manual transmission)..........I think the heads up display said either 124 or 142.........can't remember......it was a 50 km/h zone! The only thing that saved me was my politeness, not captured on radar, no tire rubber streaks, and no smoking tires......Traction Control was on ha ha! I think he heard me first because I have my exhaust in "track" mode and it's quite loud!

The cop was obviously a car guy!

Cobra

• Wow
Reactions: nascar03
So, almost red line in first, a couple of seconds in second at full throttle (manual transmission)..........I think the heads up display said either 124 or 142.........can't remember......it was a 50 km/h zone! The only thing that saved me was my politeness, not captured on radar, no tire rubber streaks, and no smoking tires......Traction Control was on ha ha! I think he heard me first because I have my exhaust in "track" mode and it's quite loud!

Cobra

Uhhhhhh.... Cops in AB don't call 142 in a 50 zone "rapid acceleration"... they call that "Welcome to a big fat fine" Lucky he didn't clock you.

No plates in NS.
Cops tried the same arguments here when we wanted to delete the front plate.

Hit and run, public safety, etc, etc, etc.

They lost.

Stupid arguments. probably had more to do with the gov’t seeing reduced costs on their part - only having to issue one plate. Funny thing is: the price of plates didn't drop one cent when they dropped the front plate and has only been increasing ever since.

Lots of stupid rules here in NS. I’m a firm believer that you should have to pay to register the car and for plates ONCE when you buy it and never again. Seriously, what are you paying a couple hundred bucks a year for? You’ve already got the plate and your info is already stored in their computers. What are you paying hundreds a year for? So the liberals can F-up my province even more, thats why.

Same with vehicle inspections. Every 2 years here now for newer vehicles. Still exccessive if you ask me and the things they require and check are just a ridiculously long list. It’s all just a big cash grab.

Don’t even get me started on off road vehicles. You need to register them yearly. You need to pay a provincial “trail fee”. Then you need a license, for which you need a course, which, strangely enough, you have to pay and instructor that the province approves. count on at least 300 bucks for that. Then you’re good right? Jump on that quad and go, right? Nope. Now you have to pay the local club to use their trails, thats an annual fee.

Oh, and if it snows, you have to go all through that again for a snowmobile. And these local club trail fees you had to pay? Not worth zip Once theres snow on the ground. Even if its the exact same trail (now covered with snow) you have to pay the local snowmobile club to use their trails. These trails are all on public lands by the way. And if you have a quad, dirtbike and snowmobile, you have to go through all that again for every one of them.

oh, lets not forgwt that if you go to a different part of the province and want to go off road, you have to payTHAT local club for a pass to use those trails, and they’re still trails on public lands.

NS needs some serious overhaul of all it’s vehicle related regulations. They’ve been stacking one after another on top of another and another. All the time the fees and permits just keep increasing in both cost and requirements. It’s gotten to the point that theres so many laws and regulations tou can’t help but break some of them.

I love my home province and I’m glad I made it back here for retirement, but man, does the NS gov’t piss me off sometimes...
You should consider changing Governments...

I went and copied an old post as it best descibes what happened........Hit my 800km's two Fridays ago..........less than five hours later I was showing a well dressed young man in blue my ownership and insurance. I went out to the dealer, outskirts of town to try out my newly accessible power. Prior to this the car was shutting down at 4,000rpms........(break in)

So I made a slow left onto 3rd line and let her rip, first gear almost to red line and then a couple of seconds in 2nd gear. The next thing I see in my rear view mirror is blazing red flashing lights, on the roof of a new city police truck passing the lady in the compact car that was directly behind me. I pulled over, the officer approached my car and he said "didn't you see me back there at the light?" I said, "officer, if I saw you back there do you really think I would have driven like that?" He laughed.

He then started asking me all kind of questions about the car. He said as long as I check out he would let me off. I told him although it might be difficult to believe however that I really was a responsible driver, with like one speeding ticket in my entire life and I'm a rules follower! He never asked me to slow down or really said anything. He walked around the car, asking more questions. I told him about the oil change in the morning which opened up the cars computer and horse power. Then he said, "so, you were just trying it out! I think I'd want to try it out too!"

He let me off, but it bothered me so much I didn't drive the car for a week. It is absolutely impossible to drive that car sanely.

Cobra
Obviously the car was running on all cylinders. Running 140K in a fifty though might lead some to question the wisdom of that. To much s**t can happen too fast to control, like a kid running out in front of you.

There are only three provinces left in Canada that require a front license plate. They are; Ontario, British Columbia and Manitoba. New Brunswick removed the requirement this summer. I am constantly tweeting to the Ontario PC Party, Doug Ford and now Caroline Mulroney which is the new Minister of Transportation. From what I heard there was a lot of pressure from Ontario Police Forces to keep the front plates. Doesn't say much for Ontario policing if the majority of Canadian Police Forces can do their job with just a rear plate but Ontario can't. I keep tweeting them and making Facebook posts and emailing them all the time to have them reconsider.

Unfortunately you likely have a battle on your hands. A study was done in Ontario 2 years ago when they almost dropped the front plate requirement. It was determined that 86.3% of Tim Hortons were situated on one-way roads, and of that 86.3%, 91.2% of them only had seating area windows facing the oncoming traffic flow. Because, while their faces were stuffed with jelly donuts, they are only able to see a front plate on the oncoming vehicles, this would have resulted in a reduction of coffee break time to meet the required daily number of random vehicle plate checks (10-11's). Thus, it was overwhelmingly voted within the 'Force', not to support the relaxation of the front plate law. The cost of the study to the Province was not released.

True do a degree... They all suck but in different ways...We vote for the one that sucks the least in the ways that directly affect each of us... Makes for interesting coffee chat...
Oh wait, you probably meant “liberal gov’t” change. I missed that one first time around.

;)

To that I agree. But, PC is not the party for Atlantic Canada. Nor are the Greens, NDP, etc. Theres only one time that the Atlantic provinces even enter an “Ottawa politician‘s” mind and thats election night. Once thats done, we’re shuffled back into the closet, forgotten about and left to struggle to survive until the next election cycle. Then it’s sunshine and lollipops again, until the day after the election and back i to the dark closet.

And just like that, I’m back to my “they all suck equally” statement.

Politics in Canada has just become a mess. There’s not one party worth voting for. It’s pretty much become nothing more than a popularity contest, like voting for student council in high school. Seems important, but it really doesn’t change a damned thing. Being a popularity contest is how we end up with things like a drama teacher as PM and that gawd awful mess they have going on below the 49th. Lets also not forget places like Ukraine, where the president (or is he a prime minister? Meh, whatever) was elected because he played a president on one of their tv dramas. It’s like people have lost their common sense completely, all across the globe. Guess old regan started off the “hollywood/politician” mess. Then Jesse Ventura, schwatzenegger, and on and on. its just insane who the people elect these days. Like the selfie loving sock model we have now.

Elections, for me, have become an exercise in choosing the lesser of all evils...and failing every time as the evils are all pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Obviously the car was running on all cylinders. Running 140K in a fifty though might lead some to question the wisdom of that. To much s**t can happen too fast to control, like a kid running out in front of you.

Please allow me to comment because I was not being irresponsible here!

Firstly this was on the outskirts of town in a commercial area and actually the area that I let it go has only fields adjacent on both sides of the road on that short distance where I punched it. There are no residences even in close proximity to this area with the closest almost 3/4 mile away. In fact on that stretch there are no commercial business's, therefore no worry of merging traffic from business' properties either! As well the road is very wide, only two opposing lanes (however could easily be painted for three maybe even four lanes) and most importantly this was to be a quick shot of acceleration with immediate breaking.

I would never consistently drive over the speed limit ever, as I'm the guy constantly only driving the speed limit or 5 km/hour over that many complain about. I'd die if I got a speeding ticket (ha ha). Please also realize this was my very first time of having the opportunity to experience the car with RPM's over 4000 as prior to this my car was in the break in period with limitations to hard acceleration and high RPM's.

With my 1998 Cobra you could let it go and quickly shut it back down to the posted speed without having to worry about being in "stunt driving" territory (50 km/h over the posted speed). That's not the case with a new Z06! For those of you with any new model Corvette, you can attest to the fact that it accelerates with super car or near super car performance.

In Ontario "stunt driving" includes 50 km/h over the posted speed, something that the Corvette achieves in 3-4 seconds........People don't by cars with super car performance to not occasionally let them rip!

I would like to reiterate this was a commercial area, it was after 5:00pm in the evening, there was light traffic with no traffic in front of me and no oncoming traffic for that mater and no pedestrian or bicycle traffic. This was gonna be a quick shot with immediate breaking to the posted speed, not continuous high speed travel as that being inferred!

The police to my fortune didn't have me on radar, and as previously stated there also was no other evidence such as squeeling tires (unnecessary noise), tire marks or smoking tires for the officer to comment on or to support a charge. As well if this was a populated area whereby I was placing individuals or children at risk that officer wouldn't have been as cordial with me. In fact he said if it was his car he would have come out here and "tried it out as well!"

Last edited:

Firstly this was on the outskirts of town in a commercial area and actually the area that I let it go has only fields adjacent on both sides of the road on that short distance where I punched it. There are no residences even in close proximity to this area with the closest almost 3/4 mile away. In fact on that stretch there are no commercial business's, therefore no worry of merging traffic from business' properties either! As well the road is very wide, only two opposing lanes (however could easily be painted for three maybe even four lanes) and most importantly this was to be a quick shot of acceleration with immediate breaking.

I would never consistently drive over the speed limit ever, as I'm the guy constantly only driving the speed limit or 5 km/hour over that many complain about. I'd die if I got a speeding ticket (ha ha). Please also realize this was my very first time of having the opportunity to experience the car with RPM's over 4000 as prior to this my car was in the break in period with limitations to hard acceleration and high RPM's.

With my 1998 Cobra you could let it go and quickly shut it back down to the posted speed without having to worry about being in "stunt driving" territory (50 km/h over the posted speed). That's not the case with a new Z06! For those of you with any new model Corvette, you can attest to the fact that it accelerates with super car or near super car performance.

In Ontario "stunt driving" includes 50 km/h over the posted speed, something that the Corvette achieves in 3-4 seconds........People don't by cars with super car performance to not occasionally let them rip!

I would like to reiterate this was a commercial area, it was after 5:00pm in the evening, there was light traffic with no traffic in front of me and no oncoming traffic for that mater and no pedestrian or bicycle traffic. This was gonna be a quick shot with immediate breaking to the posted speed, not continuous high speed travel as that being inferred!

The police to my fortune didn't have me on radar, and as previously stated there also was no other evidence such as squeeling tires (unnecessary noise), tire marks or smoking tires for the officer to comment on or to support a charge. As well if this was a populated area whereby I was placing individuals or children at risk that officer wouldn't have been as cordial with me. In fact he said if it was his car he would have come out here and "tried it out as well!"

Hey. I totally understand....And I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of us have done the exact same thing from time to time...or often... ;)

Always good to have context Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread