Apr 2, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 Z51
Province
ON
I thought I'd share my experience with anyone contemplating driving in the winter.

I swapped my PS4S for PA4 two weeks ago. Put the PA4s on an almost brand new set of OEM rims I bought from someone who went aftermarket.

I was a bit worried that the PA4s are going to be a disappointment as it was in the past in my other vehicle going to from PS4S to Michelin X Ice.

Well, it has been great so far. Noise and comfort levels are about the same as far as I can tell. Dry traction is nice and I would say is about the same for PS4S and PA4 at the temps when I did the swap (around 13 degrees).

Where there is a big difference is when it is wet/cold. I was returning from a friend's last night, 3 degrees and drizzling. I intentionally pushed it a bit in a few corners and was very pleasantly surprised that it held so well. The PS4S in the same situation is much worse, sliding the rear if you are not careful. The PA4 is a really nice tire for the cold season.

One minor issue I had after swapping out was that the TPMS system would not recognize the new tires. I had to do a reset, drive it for a few kms and that fixed the problem.

So, I say go for it if you are considering it, you won't regret.

Attachments

• 20231103_125044.jpg
    20231103_125044.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: Rruuff Day
One minor issue I had after swapping out was that the TPMS system would not recognize the new tires. I had to do a reset, drive it for a few kms and that fixed the problem.
That's not an issue, that's the way it works on the C8.

• Useful
Reactions: MKC8 and HZOR
I thought I'd share my experience with anyone contemplating driving in the winter.

I swapped my PS4S for PA4 two weeks ago. Put the PA4s on an almost brand new set of OEM rims I bought from someone who went aftermarket.

I was a bit worried that the PA4s are going to be a disappointment as it was in the past in my other vehicle going to from PS4S to Michelin X Ice.

Well, it has been great so far. Noise and comfort levels are about the same as far as I can tell. Dry traction is nice and I would say is about the same for PS4S and PA4 at the temps when I did the swap (around 13 degrees).

Where there is a big difference is when it is wet/cold. I was returning from a friend's last night, 3 degrees and drizzling. I intentionally pushed it a bit in a few corners and was very pleasantly surprised that it held so well. The PS4S in the same situation is much worse, sliding the rear if you are not careful. The PA4 is a really nice tire for the cold season.

So, I say go for it if you are considering it, you won't regret.
A couple of questions. What's the cost of those tires? I hope you have your front end covered in ppf to prevent the sand blasting you will take driving it in the winter.
Also do you own a winter car? Morgan did the same thing down here to make some videos for his YouTube channel and that lasted for one year!

$2300 installed and yes I have PPF. I have another car but prefer to drive the Corvette :)
Wow, I cringe when I see a Corvette out in a blizzard or the salt and I think to myself poor Bastard, he can't afford a winter car! I am just about at the most southern point of Canada and absolutely hate putting the car away for 16 weeks but just can't bring myself to drive in the slop with 3 other vehicles available.

Wow, I cringe when I see a Corvette out in a blizzard or the salt and I think to myself poor Bastard, he can't afford a winter car! I am just about at the most southern point of Canada and absolutely hate putting the car away for 16 weeks but just can't bring myself to drive in the slop with 3 other vehicles available.
Paw! Salt does very little to an aluminum and composite car! I drove a 2000 Camaro for 20 years all year round and still sold it for $10,000.00 (about 1/3 it's original price)! And that's a steel chassis and rear end with plastic doors and fenders

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
Paw! Salt does very little to an aluminum and composite car! I drove a 2000 Camaro for 20 years all year round and still sold it for $10,000.00 (about 1/3 it's original price)! And that's a steel chassis and rear end with plastic doors and fenders
Murray, I know your right about the salt, but I still think poor Bastard he can't afford a winter car when I see a Corvette driving around in the winter risking some bozo without snow tires plowing into him!

Murray, I know your right about the salt, but I still think poor Bastard he can't afford a winter car when I see a Corvette driving around in the winter risking some bozo without snow tires plowing into him!
Ya, I hear you about the snow. Corvettes make poor snow plows, but most days are snow free and the Corvette is very capable of driving all winter otherwise. It's a lot more fun driving a rear wheel sports car than a front drive soccer van etc.

Ya, I hear you about the snow. Corvettes make poor snow plows, but most days are snow free and the Corvette is very capable of driving all winter otherwise. It's a lot more fun driving a rear wheel sports car than a front drive soccer van etc.
Yes, I recently retired the family van for a Malibu Premier with the 9 speed transmission as one of my winter beaters!

I waited 50 years to get my first Corvette which was my 2020 C8. There was no way I was putting it away for 6 months. I wanted to enjoy the heck out of it every day!
Life is short...we never know how long we have.

I ended up trading it in a few months ago with 36,000km's on it and got $15,000 more than the MSRP I paid. The winter driving didn't hurt me a bit.

I waited 50 years to get my first Corvette which was my 2020 C8. There was no way I was putting it away for 6 months. I wanted to enjoy the heck out of it every day!
Life is short...we never know how long we have.

I ended up trading it in a few months ago with 36,000km's on it and got $15,000 more than the MSRP I paid. The winter driving didn't hurt me a bit.
You still planning on continuing driving the new one in the winter?

A couple of questions. What's the cost of those tires? I hope you have your front end covered in ppf to prevent the sand blasting you will take driving it in the winter.
Also do you own a winter car? Morgan did the same thing down here to make some videos for his YouTube channel and that lasted for one year!
oh God, not the PPF angle...

• Haha
Reactions: Murray20c8

For some of us, driving on $2300 worth of rubber is more reliable than driving in a $2300 winter beater. Have pity on a blue collar worker...

For some of us, driving on $2300 worth of rubber is more reliable than driving in a $2300 winter beater. Have pity on a blue collar worker...
That's absolutely correct. I am a blue collar guy myself who can't quite bring myself to retire yet!

Reactions: 1st Vette
You still planning on continuing driving the new one in the winter?
I still have the winter set up so why the heck not?lol

My circumstances have actually changed in the last year and I have moved into a bigger house with much more parking and my two sons both bought vettes so I did buy a daily. I'll probably do about 50/50 Vette and daily (Lexus IS250AWD) since my sons and I all work and commute together now.

Reactions: DenisC8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.