Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
Outside of weather conditions, do you prefer to drive your car with your roof on, or off? I like driving with the roof on as I am not a huge fan of the wind buffeting caused by the open roof and I like the enclosed feeling of the car surrounding me. What do you guys like?

Oddly enough, for the record, if my car was a convertible, I don't think I would ever put the roof up.

I know I am a bit out numbered but for me it is OFF! Always OFF. the only times I put the roof back on is Cold or rainy weather, and long highway trips.

I do always carry it in the trunk though incase I park downtown or something then I do not like to leave tha car that open.

Brent

For everyone that answered, what is it that makes you like it better with the top on or off? Is it the openess of criusin around or that you can look straight up and just see sky? OR, am I just asking a stupid question that can just be answered with, 'Because I like it better that way'.:coolgleam:

Top on or off not really a big difference for me. Running around doing errands, top is off.For long hauls on the highway, top is on , the buffetting can become tiresome.Glass top on in the spring & fall, coloured top on (usually) in July & August).Wife refuses to drive the car with the top on.If I had a vert, top would probably be down.I had a 71 TR6 & the top was never up.If it rained I used my parents car.Cold days required mitts & a touque & heavier coat.

I know I am a bit out numbered but for me it is OFF! Always OFF. the only times I put the roof back on is Cold or rainy weather, and long highway trips.

I do always carry it in the trunk though incase I park downtown or something then I do not like to leave tha car that open.

Brent

:agree: off as much as possible.... Dont get me wrong like it with it on as well, but weather premitting it's off.
:driving::driving::driving:

i dont have a targa roof but in a sense, that's the answer to the original post... I had a TA with roofs and to be honest, I've never missed having to worry about a milk shake landing in your car while parked, water leaks, wind whistles etc.... I prefer the hard top for that reason alone.

I much prefer having the roof on. But that's probably just one of my many "hang-ups". I know the C6 was originally engineered as a convertible but I'm convinced it was designed as a coupe. So I think the car looks more complete with its roof on. And, the radio sounds a hellava lot better when the roof is over top. But most importantly to me: I like being cocooned inside my "therapy-on-wheels", partially hidden behind tinted glass. It's comforting then to think the "gawkers" are looking at the car rather than them wondering "who's that A-hole driving the fancy wheels?" (don't you ever get that impression?).
But of course my preferences literally go out the window when Mrs. X-SPAN is riding "shot-gun". If the temp is 18 or better and the sun is shining, she wants the top off. And who am I to argue?
:seeya:

I prefer to have the roof out, I just love the open air feeling, and it's something I'm very used to, because most of my cars since 1991 have had t-roofs or a targa. I had an 87 Mustang GT with rare t-roofs, then I had an 84 Corvette, then I had a 95 Trans Am and 98 Formula both with t-roofs. Just before I got my 98 Corvette I had a 95 Formula for three years and it was a hardtop and I just felt so closed in!

In the summertime here my roof only gets put back on if the car is going to be parked somewhere, or if it's raining, or if I need to wash it. :)

what is it that makes you like it better with the top on or off? Is it the openess of criusin around or that you can look straight up and just see sky?

Last summer the T-Tops came off in June and didn't go back on until the fall except for 1 shower I got caught in.
I love the open air with the sun shining down and the Magnaflows rumbling, at night you can see the stars and enjoy the drives into the sunset .

On the old C3 with no AC or insulation it gets pretty warm in there so having the top off is almost a necessity! With the Top on it feels a lot more closed in with little wiggle room and more engine sounds such as the 4bbl sucking air!
2pq1gkh.jpg
:canada:

Top on in the C4 and the Z06 doesn't have removable roof. Has anyone drove in a C4 with the top off.... it is painfull on the highway!! the tubulance in there is unbarable you have to have the windows down to get rid of it, I even seen a kit that pops the rear hatch a bit to help. I also read somewhere that if your doing any kind of hard driving in a C4 with the top off you will get cracks in the fiberglass over time

top off

had the targa on twice. once i got caught in rain. last time was took the wife for a ride and ended up at a clothing store with a big sale. she actually "saved" me so much money I had to put the roof on to make room in hatch!
love top off. 3rd topless car. plus with the wind u dont hear the little lovable c4 rattles and squeaks. lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread