Hahaha. That's so true!

today i noticed since i have the top off those little squeeks i couldn't get to aren't so noticable LOL

found the driver rear speaker was just going nuts! fixed that, can't find the other ones since i'm driving when they squeek lol

I like to think of it this way..

I like my car the same as i prefer women, TOPLESS LMAO!

Always OFF...only in rain does it go on. Cold, I have a heater, gloves, coat, hat!
Really enjoy the "air" flowing around.
Domer.

We bought our 1999 Coupe in October. When we test drove it, we had the top off and only had it on while parked to ensure we liked the interior space. On one of our few drives before putting it away for the winter, my wife was commenting, not too favourably, on the squeaks coming from the roof attach points on the windshield.

I see there are a few indications here that this is a common problem. Can anything be done to eliminate or reduce the squeaks?

I should say this car is in "show" condition and has obviously been extremely well maintained so it's not a "sad shape" "Vette by any means.

I have always had verts in the past,and the top was always down during the 1 or 2K I pit on every summer. This is my first targa and I am assuming the sky will have to be clear in order for me to have it off. I think I will love it off as I did with my verts,the open free feeling is the best too me,and I love the wind!

We bought our 1999 Coupe in October. When we test drove it, we had the top off and only had it on while parked to ensure we liked the interior space. On one of our few drives before putting it away for the winter, my wife was commenting, not too favourably, on the squeaks coming from the roof attach points on the windshield.

I see there are a few indications here that this is a common problem. Can anything be done to eliminate or reduce the squeaks?

I should say this car is in "show" condition and has obviously been extremely well maintained so it's not a "sad shape" "Vette by any means.

Not a pro but perhaps some armour all?or dry lube!

A lot of guy are using dielectric grease on all their weatherstripping. I've used it. It works ok. I prefer to use mothers products to protect all my rubber and plastic part. I am also looking into what Zaino has as I have heard that their products are awesome.

On the Corvette forum (US), there is lot's of posts on rattles, squeaks from the roofs. The one that fixed mine, was a 5/16" e-clip next to the roller for the latch. It fixed the rattle "pop". Squeaks need lube on the weatherstripping.

Thanks very much, Area Z51

My car is in storage and inaccessible right now. I can't visualize the roller (just got the car in October). Could you please elaborate ... what is a 5/16" e-clip??? Apologies for my ignorance.

On most of the time, but for a slow cruise on a 25 degree sunny day, it's top off. Last August, a warm full moon night drive to the beach at midnight with the glass top gone turned out out to be the best run my girl and I ever had, we stayed out until 4:00 am.

Last edited:
Paul, sounds to me like there gotta be alot more to that story!!!

It was just to cold to try mine without the top late this fall when I got my vette, but I'm sure looking forward to the top coming off this spring. I ride bikes so I'm thinking I will have the top off the vette any time its possible.

Wellllll, yeah maybe, but this is a family forum.....
I ride bikes too. You know when you're riding at night, your senses are tack sharp and you drive by a freshly cut hay field, or a campfire, the smell is just sooooo sharp....that's what it's like with the top off. Not the same with just the windows down (?) I can smell the salt water as I approach the cottage at night, not so during the day, can't explain it. Driving down the highway with your head against the headrest (incidentally, the most comfortable headrest in existence) and you just peer up over the windshield and nothing but wide open sky...hard to beat that.

Last edited:
Sorry bout' that. Not very kind of us thinking nice warm summer thoughts while you can see your breath, snow in your face and ice in your hair. No, I wouldn't want to listen to someone going on and on about how nice it would be to go for a drive in the Vette just for the hell of it, nowhere to go, just because it's warm and sunny. No, I wouldn't want to hear about the smell of freshly cut lawns coming in through the windows, because it's just too nice for the A/C, oh wait, the roof is off too, did I forget to mention that? The girls in the neighborhood are walking around in jeans and T-shirts, you carry on down to the beach where it's warmer still, and the girls are playing frisbee on the sand bars at low tide...in bikinis. You drive down Main street with the roof off, did I mention that already, and the girls are walking around in skirts. You then load the cooler and the guitar in the back, crank up the music and head out for the party and BBQ where the girls are walking around in shorts and T-shirts. Ahh summer.... but you would never catch me talking about the nice warm comfortable lazy hazy days of summer while our Corvette's are put away in non accessible cryogenically impervious warehouses while we scrape the frost off our brains wondering why the hell we don't live in Arizona! So now, I'm just going to try to get the truck started, let it run for twenty-five minutes, put on seven layers of clothes and go ice fishing. How's the weather in Saskatoon! :D

Just another 80 or 90 sleeps to go boys!

In all seriousness though, time goes by fast enough as it is, don't wish it away. Jump on your snowmobile, if you don't have one go get one. I look forward to sledding as much as I do the Vette. I'm into vintage sleds and I've restored a few including a wicked fast (for the period) 1979 Ski-Doo Blizzard 5500. It's so much fun and really really cheap! You can't beat winter so join it. Next thing you know, you're taking the top off the Vette.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread