C5Howie

2 You're 10
Dec 19, 2009
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5
Is it worth it? And I know you will not really see any numbers to talk about,but will you notice much as far as throttle response goes? I am picking a LS6 intake manifold up this weekend and I was thinking on doing a DIY job on my TB,any input would be great.

Is it worth it? And I know you will not really see any numbers to talk about,but will you notice much as far as throttle response goes? I am picking a LS6 intake manifold up this weekend and I was thinking on doing a DIY job on my TB,any input would be great.

Tell ya what Howie I have a few spare's here , I can do one up for you for $50.00 exhange . Here are a few pictures of some I have done .

This is one of the LS2 90mm
DSC00678.jpg

I have also done some MAF's
DSC00680.jpg

Some C5 TB's
DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

Thx
[email protected]

Isn't filling the PVC area inside the TB and then drilling a quarter inch hole to allow the PCV to function part of the procedure?

Isn't filling the PVC area inside the TB and then drilling a quarter inch hole to allow the PCV to function part of the procedure?

You can fill it with JB weld also, but it is not nessacary .
Oh sorry! nice work,and would I need a larger MAF at the same time?

You can use your stock MAF with the ported TB 76mm or the 78mm C5 Z06 one.

Thx
Manny

After porting mine will it be the same ID as the Z06? And would I benifit from a larger MAF? Is the Z06 MAF larger than mine?

You forgot this one oh mighty knowledgeable one!

The 78 mm refers to the actual throat area , which I do not touch as then yoiu would need a larger butterfly . There are some that have done it , but you run in to problems with the Drive By Wire system in the vettes. Not2melo had an 80mm he bought on ebay from a shop that does them . Now they will work on a cable driven tb, but not so good on the DBW system.The tbs I use are 78mm and there is no gain in going to the larger Z06 maf with your set-up .

Hope that helps

[email protected]

Thanks Manny! Will bring my TB when I come,should I remove anything from it?

Nope , I will transfer the TPS from your old one to the the new .It has a special type of fastener with a tab in the center , looks like a #15 torx .

Thx
Manny

The 78 mm refers to the actual throat area , which I do not touch as then yoiu would need a larger butterfly . There are some that have done it , but you run in to problems with the Drive By Wire system in the vettes. Not2melo had an 80mm he bought on ebay from a shop that does them . Now they will work on a cable driven tb, but not so good on the DBW system.The tbs I use are 78mm and there is no gain in going to the larger Z06 maf with your set-up .

Hope that helps

[email protected]

As Manny said, I tried to get a 80mm ported unit that was welded in the thin areas to get that hole diameter.
They used a brass throttle plate and the unit was a good piece, but in making the opening wider
they mill out that oval or stepped slope in there that allows the airflow to slowly ramp up
when first opening. This in turn caused all kinds of problems with the car and we had some DIC
errors going off that cause the Reduced Power Prompt.

I would suggest getting one thru Manny and enjoy the quicker throttle response, if you feel like going all out
then get a ported FAST 90+ off him and add in a LS2 TB and a Z06 Maf for 20+ rwhp with a good tune.

As Manny said, I tried to get a 80mm ported unit that was welded in the thin areas to get that hole diameter.
They used a brass throttle plate and the unit was a good piece, but in making the opening wider
they mill out that oval or stepped slope in there that allows the airflow to slowly ramp up
when first opening. This in turn caused all kinds of problems with the car and we had some DIC
errors going off that cause the Reduced Power Prompt.

I would suggest getting one thru Manny and enjoy the quicker throttle response, if you feel like going all out
then get a ported FAST 90+ off him and add in a LS2 TB and a Z06 Maf for 20+ rwhp with a good tune.

:agree: ( just upping my post count with this one :rofl:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.