Good find Peter. I especially like the Chevron pic with the '51, '55, and '59 Chevs lined up at the pumps.
Another fave in the background is a '57 Olds.

LOL that 'snarling Rat Rod is something else. :D

Interesting to see 'Corn Alcohol' usage back in the '40's.

All great and very nostalgic pics.
Thanks for sharing.
C.

Good find Peter. I especially like the Chevron pic with the '51, '55, and '59 Chevs lined up at the pumps.
Another fave in the background is a '57 Olds.

LOL that 'snarling Rat Rod is something else. :D

Interesting to see 'Corn Alcohol' usage back in the '40's.

All great and very nostalgic pics.
Thanks for sharing.
C.

i wonder if the "gasahol" was due to ww2 rationing ?

Great shots! I've been to the first picture in Portland Oregon, and the owners son is actually restoring the B-17. Did you guys notice the WW II german helmet as the air cleaner on the rat rod. Also be very interesting to see how they got the cars on that Texaco rack.
Rob

PS Went back and looked again and it's actually a WW I helmet

Last edited:
I miss that old fashioned service.The guys that owned these places, also wrenched your car.Also a good place to stop and swap bench racing stories.Did'nt hang around in bars & clubs in those days.

Quite neato pics of a super gee-golly era! :D
As I was never around in that era, I wonder if things really were more relaxed and slower with better customer service than today's fast paced, everyone for themselves society? Any comments from the people who actually grew up then?

it was more relaxed riley. as a kid we used to hang around local garages and if the guys weren't busy they would help us with our bicycles and even let us use some of their tools. they'd always let us go through the scrap parts bin to find cool stuff......if you didn't have a V8 distributor cap as a pencil holder, man you were some kind of dork. later when we got into cars there were many stations that would help us out in much the same way. i don't think you'd be likely to see that sort of thing today but it probably has more to do with growing up in the "boomer" era.

Yep much more relaxed and friendly in those days (I've heard.:D).....As Doug said hanging around the stations usually scored some neat stuff and we didn't mind helping out there either. Usually got a coke or a quarter for it.

Fun times and a good way to pick up on mechanics.....

Those days are done now. We'll not see them again.

C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.