If you have a heated garage with a hoist and you don't start it all winter while is storage, your best to change the oil in the spring. The oil and other crap in the engine for the whole 3-6 months while in storage settles right down to the bottom. But make sure you don't start it with the old oil in because then your just putting all the crap that's been sitting all winter right back up in the engine!

I myself don't have a heated garage but it is insulated and never goes below zero. I change it in the fall the same day I put it away. IMO you should never start a car while in storage because of the moisture build up in the engine.

What if you didn't drive it much, like only 1,000Km in a year? The synthetic oil would not break down so the only argument that I have heard is that there may be some water vapor contaminating the oil. Is this really a concern? If I look at the oil it is clean and not milky...is this more of a better safe than sorry thing or is it real thing to change every year regardless of the use?

What if you didn't drive it much, like only 1,000Km in a year? The synthetic oil would not break down so the only argument that I have heard is that there may be some water vapor contaminating the oil. Is this really a concern? If I look at the oil it is clean and not milky...is this more of a better safe than sorry thing or is it real thing to change every year regardless of the use?
Lots of differing opinions on this. I use to change my oil in the fall religiously but after getting caught with some unexpected nice weather, I also questioned changing it will low mileage. After much research and discussion, having a thousand km on high quality synthetic (Mobil 1) doesn't bother me a bit putting her away for the winter. Although experts now say the synthetics are good for up to 8000 km, I usually change around 4500 but to be honest, the oil still looks like new. But Corvette owners are a bit anal when it comes to early oil changes...lol...To each their own.

Reactions: hemicat
Should the oil be changed now before car is put away for winter or in the spring when i bring it out ? Just curious what all you other corvette owners do. Thanks
For my previous 2 generations of Vette's (78 and 98) I left the old oil (with maybe 2K's on there) until spring & changed it then. Just got a new C7...and from talking to many others the majority seem to favour changing it before winter & storing it with fresh oil in there. I think I will switch to this method starting this winter.

I change mine in the Spring as presumably when you put the car away the OLM is not at 0% and won't be one year old by the time Spring rolls around. I just like to have the fresh oil go in when I will be driving her constantly.

Fall...and spring....lol

Fall because its going into storage.

Spring to start with fresh oil.

I am not going to get my knickers in a twist over an extra $150 oil change on a $100k car. I do though have the advantage of a lift inside a heated garage so I can do it myself.

Reactions: Mad*Max
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.