I've always changed my oil last thing in the fall. I like the idea of the surfaces that oil protects to be coated in fresh oil. Two vehicles done and two to go. Been doing it this way since the fall of 1972 when I started storing the COPO Chevelle in the winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegas1500
I always do the oil change in the spring on all cars I put away for winter. I prefer to start my season whit fresh oil then new oil that is sitting in the oil pan that can get contaminated by humidity in the air during the 5 or 6 months of storage.

I always do the oil change in the spring on all cars I put away for winter. I prefer to start my season whit fresh oil then new oil that is sitting in the oil pan that can get contaminated by humidity in the air during the 5 or 6 months of storage. Not sure if it does a huge difference as most of us are using synthetic oil

I understand both points of view. However, I change mine in the Fall to get the acids and contamination out of the engine and new stuff in by the bearings. I've thought of the condensation thing and my thoughts are that when you start the car in the Spring, as the oil heats, all the water/condensation vaporizes out of the oil.
But, maybe to keep both parties happy, would it be better to just drain the oil in the Fall and leave the plug out so any condensation drains out over the winter, then in the Spring, put in the plug and fill it with fresh oil. Or, does this just make both sides mad? :D

Last year I did it in the spring, this year in the fall. I don't think there is much humidity in the winter months. I like to start the new driving season right off the bat without having to worry about the oil change. Nice weather starts and the car is ready to go. Either way, the car needs new oil.:Cheers2:

Unless you are starting the car in the winter for short periods, I wouldn't think there would be much condensation in the engine. My car sits in an unheated garage all winter and I avoid opening the garage on the warmer humid days during the brief January thaw.

Should the oil be changed now before car is put away for winter or in the spring when i bring it out ? Just curious what all you other corvette owners do. Thanks
I did the '06 now and left the '94 to spring. Had the '06 been changed this year I would have left it until spring too.
Yours is probably ok to leave until spring Paul -- I believe you told me there isn't many miles on the '13's oil.

I always do the oil change in the spring on all cars I put away for winter. I prefer to start my season whit fresh oil then new oil that is sitting in the oil pan that can get contaminated by humidity in the air during the 5 or 6 months of storage. Not sure if it does a huge difference as most of us are using synthetic oil

I think you're right Steph -- It doesn't make much odds leaving it 'til spring.

Nice to see you post again. I wondered where you got to brother.

Colin

Do it in the fall. Get the dirty contaminated oil, acids etc out of there. I'm in Alberta so there's no humidity to worry about all winter. Plus it's in heated garage. Our winters are dry! Nice to know its sitting with good fresh oil in the bearings all winter. Oil will be as good as the day it went in, in the spring.

Reactions: nascar03
I think you're right Steph -- It doesn't make much odds leaving it 'til spring.

Nice to see you post again. I wondered where you got to brother.

Colin

Hi Colin,2015 was a crazy year, finishing the home theater, mooving my daughter, making a room for my son who ad to come back home for a while, rebuilt and extend the patio, one of my counter person got pregnant so I had to take a part of her job. Only did 3000km on the car this year so not much time for me and my wife this year but all should be back to normal next year.

Always great to read you and all the other members on this forum :Cheers2:

I went to CanTire on Friday and bought three of their 4.4L +1L MOBIL1 oil packages.. on sale.
Time to do 3 cars before winter storage.
I too like to have fresh oil on the bearings and parts. Should be fine in the Spring.

graham

(well there ya go!... My 1000th post!!!!!!!!..Whoopee..! )

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Changed the oil and filter on Saturday and greased the couple of fittings on the rear end tie rods. Cleaned and waxed. Will do the filter on the Vararam intake later. One more vehicle to go and will be ready for the white stuff.

Change your oil before your long winter lay-up, fuel stabilizer and an additional tip is go to your local marina or RV dealer and buy a
desicant kit for water/moisture absorbtion.
You will be amazed how much water collects in the tub in the spring as the weather is changing. Better yet... buy 2.
Put those tubs in a plastic low profile container in case it gets knocked over.

Good morning Gentlemen,

An interesting question. In the past I used to change the oil in the fall in my 280 and also the Z06 when I was storing the car. I understand the point of getting fresh oil into the engine, getting rid of the acidic oil in the block etc.

But then I started thinking that with my farm equipment I NEVER change the oil after spring seeding or harvesting. The oil gets changed in the farm equipment after the first day of use in the spring or the fall, normally after it has been sitting for 12 months or close to since it was last changed. As far as I know I am not unusual in this practice either, I do what my farther does. As dad was a research engineer for Deutz Diesel in his earlier days I'm sure he'd be aware of if this was an acceptable practice too.

My thoughts went to if I don't change the oil in a Cummins KTA1150 engine after using it in the spring to which runs about $40,000 for a crate engine, why would I worry about a (I think) $7 to 10,000 crate LS7 engine - not including Manny's $ modifications of course!

I know that I probably would have changed the oil in the Z06 prior to storage but it was tempered by two things:

1)my flat tire situation that I experienced on October which left the car immobile until 24 hours before snow fell (!)
2)that I hardly drove the car this year, I think 4,000 km and oil life was still at 78% when I parked it.

That being said I look forward to both a new tire and fresh oil in the spring................

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.