Changing the DCT filter is only free (first time only) for US owners. They also get one free oil/filter change. Canadian owners get 2 free oil/filter changes but have to pay for the DCT filter change. Doing the DCT work is far more expensive than an oil/filter change. Oh well.

How often does the DCT filter need to be changed? Is there a reliable service manual somewhere?

Changing the DCT filter is only free (first time only) for US owners. They also get one free oil/filter change. Canadian owners get 2 free oil/filter changes but have to pay for the DCT filter change. Doing the DCT work is far more expensive than an oil/filter change. Oh well.
Do it yourself. The only hard part is adding back the few ounces of fluid

Reactions: Magneeeto
HI All. Just joined this site. I received my C8 about 3 weeks ago. I will be storing it for the winter. I expect to have about 800-1000 km's on the car when I store. Is there any reason to have the dealer change the oil before I store it? Would specifically love feedback on those who have mechanical skills......lol. Thanks.

HI All. Just joined this site. I received my C8 about 3 weeks ago. I will be storing it for the winter. I expect to have about 800-1000 km's on the car when I store. Is there any reason to have the dealer change the oil before I store it? Would specifically love feedback on those who have mechanical skills......lol. Thanks.
Welcome and congrats!
A friend is an oil guru. That oil is fresh. No reason to get rid of it. The contaminants will be extremely low. If you want to waste your money to err on the side of caution, change it in the spring. Not now.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day

I do my own oil/filter changes on vehicles but don't profess to have "mechanical skills" which would make me an expert or journeyman mechanic, although I have rebuilt an engine and done other things. My father however was a j'man mechanic and back in the day, extolled the virtues of an early oil change for any new engine, to get rid of the filings or other debris created during the engine break-in period and prevent whatever isn't caught in the oil filter from recycling and scoring the pistons/rings, etc. However in the last 10+? years, the manufacturers are saying they run the engines many hours before installation, so they get rid of that debris and early oil changes are no longer necessary. This has become a debate amongst those who believe in early oil changes versus those who follow the manufacturer guidelines "to the T". I fall in the former camp so I changed my C8 oil/filter shortly after its break-in period. All that to say you'll get different viewpoints and you'll have to decide your own comfort level. I see the engine as the most expensive part of any vehicle, with the Corvette engine being higher performance, so don't mind paying for new oil/filter much sooner than what's recommended by the manufacturer. Others (like Murray above; hi Murray!) think it a waste of money. You'll find LOTS on the Web about this topic, recommending either viewpoint.

Welcome and congrats!
A friend is an oil guru. That oil is fresh. No reason to get rid of it. The contaminants will be extremely low. If you want to waste your money to err on the side of caution, change it in the spring. Not now.
Thanks Murray. I live in Brooklin, but road bike into Uxbridge all the time. I have seen 2-3 Red C8's up there. Wonder if I ever flagged you down to look at your car. I have a red C8. Small world!!

Congratulations Davigar :canada:

I think netsinah said it best in post #25.

I have what I would say are basic mechanical skills. I do enjoy working on my cars and will change my own fluids and brakes when I have to pay for it. I think if I had 1,000 kms. on mine before I stored it I wouldn't have change it... UNLESS, my free oil changes were going to expire before I had a chance to use them. (24,000Kms. or 2 years from GM). I think most people who have the GM MasterCard don't realize it but, I also have 2 more free oil/filter changes with it (for a total of 4). They kick-in after the first 2 GM oil changes are used or expire and must be used within the first 2 years or 48,000Kms.
For what its worth, I just did my first free oil/filter change before storing my car on Nov. 1st. (sorry Murray :Cheers2:) I took delivery Aug. 20th and have just over 6K on my BUCKETOY now. If you don't track the car (or drive the snot out of it) service recommends changing oil/filter when your DIC oil % gets close to 0% or 1 year. It helps me sleep at night knowing the car is stored for the winter with clean oil in the crankcase.

If you haven't seen it already, here is an interesting video from GM on your Maintenance schedule...

I have what I would say are basic mechanical skills. I do enjoy working on my cars and will change my own fluids and brakes when I have to pay for it. I think if I had 1,000 kms. on mine before I stored it I wouldn't have change it... UNLESS, my free oil changes were going to expire before I had a chance to use them. (24,000Kms. or 2 years from GM). I think most people who have the GM MasterCard don't realize it but, I also have 2 more free oil/filter changes with it (for a total of 4). They kick-in after the first 2 GM oil changes are used or expire and must be used within the first 2 years or 48,000Kms.
For what its worth, I just did my first free oil/filter change before storing my car on Nov. 1st. (sorry Murray :Cheers2:) I took delivery Aug. 20th and have just over 6K on my BUCKETOY now. If you don't track the car (or drive the snot out of it) service recommends changing oil/filter when your DIC oil % gets close to 0% or 1 year. It helps me sleep at night knowing the car is stored for the winter with clean oil in the crankcase.

If you haven't seen it already, here is an interesting video from GM on your Maintenance schedule...

Thanks "Bucketoy". You mention the GM Mastercard. I've got the GM Visa with Scotia Bank, which I understand replaced the GM credit card issued by the TD Bank. Was that a Mastercard? I'm unaware of any extra free oil/filter changes with my new GM Visa. It gives me 5% on the first $10,000 spent (so $500) + 2% after that on further purchases (all usable towards the purchase of a GM vehicle), + insurance + car rental benefits. So is the oil/filter benefit something that's now gone with the new card?

Thanks Bucketoy.............I had 2 other quick questions on my car that no one seems to have an answer for. Did you receive a license plate holder for the front of your car. They describe it as a bracket? All cars in Ontario are suppose to get but no one at the dealer seems to have a clue. Not even sure what it looks like. The second thing is MyMode set up. On my car, it only allows setting up of Exhaust, Steering and Brakes. It does not allow Suspension. For Z Mode, it allows all 4. A few videos on Youtube show people setting up MyMode and it allows all 4.........so I am confused. What does your car show?

Thanks "Bucketoy". You mention the GM Mastercard. I've got the GM Visa with Scotia Bank, which I understand replaced the GM credit card issued by the TD Bank. Was that a Mastercard? I'm unaware of any extra free oil/filter changes with my new GM Visa. It gives me 5% on the first $10,000 spent (so $500) + 2% after that on further purchases (all usable towards the purchase of a GM vehicle), + insurance + car rental benefits. So is the oil/filter benefit something that's now gone with the new card?

I stand corrected. You are correct on all accounts. It is the GM Visa Scotia Bank card I now have.

If you have set-up your "My Chevrolet" vehicle profile, you can log in and under the "Warranty" tab, you can check the status of warranties that apply to your vehicle. In my case, one of the items there is "Complimentary GM Card Lube Oil Filter Program". It will also show you an expiration milage of 48,000.Kms. and Kms. remaining, then an expiry date that will be 2 years after purchase, and time remaining in that. My service rep. also confirmed this information for me.

Thanks Bucketoy.............I had 2 other quick questions on my car that no one seems to have an answer for. Did you receive a license plate holder for the front of your car. They describe it as a bracket? All cars in Ontario are suppose to get but no one at the dealer seems to have a clue. Not even sure what it looks like. The second thing is MyMode set up. On my car, it only allows setting up of Exhaust, Steering and Brakes. It does not allow Suspension. For Z Mode, it allows all 4. A few videos on Youtube show people setting up MyMode and it allows all 4.........so I am confused. What does your car show?

Yes, I did receive a licence plate bracket for my car. You probably had one tucked away in your frunk when the car was delivered as well but, I would do a bit more research before installing it. You can start here...

As for your second question, I will play with My Mode and Z Mode tomorrow before before accurately answering that question. There are a lot of good people on this forum that may be able to answer this question before I get a chance to though.

:canada:

I stand corrected. You are correct on all accounts. It is the GM Visa Scotia Bank card I now have.

If you have set-up your "My Chevrolet" vehicle profile, you can log in and under the "Warranty" tab, you can check the status of warranties that apply to your vehicle. In my case, one of the items there is "Complimentary GM Card Lube Oil Filter Program". It will also show you an expiration milage of 48,000.Kms. and Kms. remaining, then an expiry date that will be 2 years after purchase, and time remaining in that. My service rep. also confirmed this information for me.

Thanks again Bucketoy and oddly enough, I received my first C8 "status report" tonight from GM and it has a section describing the GM Visa card and my entitlement to an additional 2 oil/filter changes. So you're absolutely correct and I'm surprised that was never explained to me before. I appreciate the heads-up.

Sorry Davigar, my car is in storage. I was hoping to get at my car to play around with the Modes for you but I never had the chance. I did however find this you tube video from "the pros in the R8C department at NCM on what to know about the C8!"

If you go to the 11:35 mark of the video you will notice that particular car displays 3 settings in My Mode for Engine Sound, Steering and Brake Response. Also, you might find the chart on page 8 of the "Getting to know your 2020 Corvette Performance Features" interesting...

Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 4.56.35 PM.png

My Mode allows me to set-up all 4. Z Mode 5. I have Z51 and Mag Ride options.

My Mode.JPG

Z Mode 1.JPG
Z Mode 2.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.