Dec 21, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2021 C8
Province
BC
Did a quick search and could not see a posting regarding oil additives for the C8. I have been pretty much using the Liqui Moly Mos2 Anti Friction engine treatment in all of my cars including the C7 I owned the 328 and the Alfa..... I cant say or prove that it works as per their claims, but my engines seem to be very happy when they run. My friends regularly run them in their Ferraris and Lambos with no reported issues...... anyone using the product in their C8s?

248 Vehicle Care
Engine Oil Additives/Engine Oil Flushes
Do not add anything to the oil. The recommended oils meeting the dexos specification are all that is needed for good performance and engine protection. Engine oil system flushes are not recommended and could cause engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.
From the 2024 OM.

Reactions: KTJF
I agree with all of your above posts, however my reasoning for the additive was with the first start up on the cars that I park for 5mos of the year and the potential protection the extra film of lubricant the additive leaves on the internals of the engine. My friends with the exotics have been using the additive for years with no issues. I used it on my 328 and the C7 G. Sport which I owned since 2017 and no issues. Just soliciting feedback on possible concerns as both my G. Sport and C8 run pretty similar dry sump engines.

Last edited:
If it’s a 1990 Diablo, sure, use additive, but these modern day engines really don’t need anything besides good clean oil. 5 months isn’t really a long time to warrant the use of an additive, IMO. That being said, I’m sure it won’t hurt anything and if it makes you feel better, go for it!

By the way, why are you parking her? We have good weather here in Vancouver and can easily drive these types of cars year round.

I agree with all of your above posts, however my reasoning for the additive was with the first start up on the cars that I park for 5mos of the year and the potential protection the extra film of lubricant the additive leaves on the internals of the engine.

You could always just disable the ignition (I'm sure there's a fuse that could be pulled) and let it crank 5-10 seconds to build oil pressure before firing. Personally I wouldn't put oil additives in my new, warrantied C8 (and who's to say they'll do a better job in this scenario anyway). And I also wouldn't worry about a once-a-year event. People have been winter storing cars forever and you never hear of any issues related to "dry" starts.

You just have to use the clear flood method where you just hold the gas pedal to the floor and foot on the brake. The car won't start but will give 25 lbs. of oil pressure I believe it is. When you let the gas pedal up the car will start. I used this method on my C7. I haven't tried it on the C8 yet as I have only had it since August but It should be the same.

I have been using Lucas additives in my cars for many years. On a new car I use just the GM Dexos oil until I get about 40,000 kms on the new engine before I start to add the Lucas. Even when I take it back to the dealer I send a litre of Lucas with the car for the dealership to add.
I admit, it gives me a level of comfort to do that. I also have noted that, it appears, the gas mileage seems to increase with the addition of the supplement.
I have been driving for over 60 years and never had an engine failure. All cars were GM. Some engines had over 350,000 kms on them when traded.

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
I have been using Lucas additives in my cars for many years. On a new car I use just the GM Dexos oil until I get about 40,000 kms on the new engine before I start to add the Lucas. Even when I take it back to the dealer I send a litre of Lucas with the car for the dealership to add.
I admit, it gives me a level of comfort to do that. I also have noted that, it appears, the gas mileage seems to increase with the addition of the supplement.
I have been driving for over 60 years and never had an engine failure. All cars were GM. Some engines had over 350,000 kms on them when traded.
I have never used a an additive and while I've only driven for 54 years, I've never had an engine failure and some over 350.000 kms. I believe most of this stuff is "snake oil". There is no way to tell, but oil analysis proves todays synthetic oils are more than capable of doing the job with their current additives. It's not just oil anymore.

By the way, why are you parking her? We have good weather here in Vancouver and can easily drive these types of cars year round.

I agree, weather is pretty good here and rain falling on cars doesn't bother me.... however, I have been out of commission for the past 3 mos and will not be able to drive for at least another 3 weeks, (SUCKS big time!!!!), as such I had my kid place the C8 on the hoist earlier this year. The addition of the Moly has always been as a precaution for me and I cant see it doing any harm, I was just curious to hear if others on this forum also used it. In the winter I usually drive the Alfa Stelvio. Generally speaking my C7 and 328 were always stored from Nov to March... tradition carries on with the C8.... LOL

Reactions: scraze66
There is no evidence either way, but I'd believe GM before snake oil salesmen. You can call it cheap insurance but I'm in the "you're wasting your money" camp and the "it could do more harm than good" camp

There is no evidence either way, but I'd believe GM before snake oil salesmen. You can call it cheap insurance but I'm in the "you're wasting your money" camp and the "it could do more harm than good" camp
Not to mention warranty if something else happens to the engine . Don"t give them an "out".

Reactions: Murray20c8
Well you won't believe the GM engineers who said don't use it so not surprised you won't believe us. There's no evidence it does anything and it may in fact hurt the car. But hey it's your dough

I agree with all of your above posts
Interesting that you jump to conclusions right away Vern1....... If you read all the posts including post #5 you would have noted that I agreed with the responses. I never said that I dont believe any of the responders!.... But hey, you are right, it is my dough! My experience with the product, and others that are also users of the product, is that no one, to date, and years of usage has experienced any negative issues. And they drive $600,000+ dollar cars. I was just curious as if anyone with a C8 was using it, nothing more nothing less. And as I stated, I used the product in my C7 G.S. for 6years and 328GTS for 2years and both engines purred like kittens. Was it just by luck? .... :heavycar: ..... Maybe or maybe not.... LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.