I have a 2005 S2000, great lil roadster. I bought it back in 2015, kept it for about a year, sold it to a friend then i bought it back off of him last year. No plans on selling it off again it's a keeper. It may not have globs of power but the S2K performs so well with what its got. Especially on the twistys :p:finger:

I love my little S. I have no plans to sell it either. It is a terrific car. I've even got a tow hitch on it, and I installed an upgraded Clutchmasters FX300 clutch so it tows my motorcycle or anything else I want to tow with ease. I love the looks I get when I'm towing massive stuff with it hahahahahah..... It's the only one of my cars I can let sit for months and it fires right up....no battery tender, nothing.......... Sweet ride....
20170509_183240[1].jpg

Definitively won’t come close to matching the 720S until year two. We are getting around 475 HP for 2020. Still in year one, should scoot both in acceleration and on track better than any SR version, and could well exceed a GS with the Z07 package on the track — again with the 2020 version.

Not that I had any great urge to buy a C8 in the near future anyway, 475 HP may just convince a few buyers to wait for at least the Z06 (?) model. JMO

That is true, though we should not overlook that 475 HP in a ME (far better traction), with a DCT, will probably be equivalent to 550 HP in a C7, maybe more, in terms of both strait line accelerating and track performance. Not Z06 level, but on another ME forum, a poll’s results concluded, and I agree with its results (FWIW), that the average 0-60 time for such an ME would be 3.35 seconds. That’s hauling the mail for a entry level version.

That is true, though we should not overlook that 475 HP in a ME (far better traction), with a DCT, will probably be equivalent to 550 HP in a C7, maybe more, in terms of both strait line accelerating and track performance. Not Z06 level, but on another ME forum, a poll’s results concluded, and I agree with its results (FWIW), that the average 0-60 time for such an ME would be 3.35 seconds. That’s hauling the mail for a entry level version.

Totally agree. Track performance beyond a doubt will be better, and 3.35 is nothing to be sneezed at, but the testosterone driven brain knows there are already 650, 710, 755, and 840 power options out there in the same general price ranges, (albeit front engine, and several of the options will never be a Vette :thumbs:)... But many of those are driving 650 HP C7s right now with above average track performance, and 2 tenths faster 0-60's. I just can't see some of the guys I've talked to considering a drop in power with their next purchase of a C8, especially when there's a horsepower alternative coming in 2020. And once again... JMHO...:Biggrin:

Totally agree with you, but even though I am track experienced, unless it is hot outside and tires are fully warmed, I am not using nearly my Z06’s HP/TQ — for as we all know to get it to hook up, one is constantly fathering the throttle, and that means we are not using the 650/650 but a small part of the time. Give me the equivalent of 575 HP that hooks up so much better, and who knows how much faster we all could be (and I believe more fun a lot of the time)

I am sure not saying that the entry 2020 ME will be faster than the Z06 — for it will defintively not be. And why many will and should for their needs and desires, wait for the 2021 high perf ME version.

I love my little S. I have no plans to sell it either. It is a terrific car. I've even got a tow hitch on it, and I installed an upgraded Clutchmasters FX300 clutch so it tows my motorcycle or anything else I want to tow with ease. I love the looks I get when I'm towing massive stuff with it hahahahahah..... It's the only one of my cars I can let sit for months and it fires right up....no battery tender, nothing.......... Sweet ride....View attachment 20263

Awesome! and so is your bike :thumbs:. Yeah, I've had no issues with mine. It is currently the most reliable car that i have.

Sorry all for straying off topic here.

Reactions: flyboy999

3.35 secs, that is pretty impressive for the hp. I think this is quicker than the new Ford GT.

I’m definitely waiting for the Z06 or ZR1ish version of the C8 before I consider buying. For me downgrading in HP and torque is not an option. Been on the track with the Z06 /Z07 and used the HP and especially the torque constantly. Just can’t see myself going backwards in this area of enjoying the car. That’s just me though. I’m certain the ME platform will offer a substantial handling improvement over the FE cars and will be, even at the base power offering, a tremendously great experience to drive. 👍

I’m definitely waiting for the Z06 or ZR1ish version of the C8 before I consider buying. For me downgrading in HP and torque is not an option. Been on the track with the Z06 /Z07 and used the HP and especially the torque constantly. Just can’t see myself going backwards in this area of enjoying the car. That’s just me though. I’m certain the ME platform will offer a substantial handling improvement over the FE cars and will be, even at the base power offering, a tremendously great experience to drive. 👍
My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: ddgermann
I understand the sentiment. I was going through months of angst on whether to get a first year one, whether to wait and get a Z06 equivalent version (we have always previously and only bought a second year version).

I was stressing! My gentle wife (a gear head herself), said one day in a stern voice (completely unlike her and we have been married 49 years), “sit down; we are going to talk!”

She said, “if we can afford the depreciation by getting a first year one, then trading it in on a second or third one, get over your stressing and get back to your happy self.”

I could not believe what I was happily hearing, for again we always have only bought one during each generation. I immediately called my dealer and thus I am now on his ME deposit list twice, e.g., once since Feb 1, 2015 (not a typo), and three minutes after my wife told me how it was going to be.”

My biggest thing is that I like to pay my cars off and then just buy another one. I lost 10's of thousands of dollars as a young man trading in motorcycles and cars and losing bucket loads of money until I realized that this is exactly what the dealerships and banks want you to do. It always gives me a chuckle when I see the statement, "We accept trades." hahahahahahahah............ of course you do. That's where you make a lot of your revenue. You basically give the customer $10K-$15K less than they could sell the car for on the open market for their trade in, and after the deal is done, you put it out on the lot for $10K-$15K more...... I get it. You need to make $$$$$. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, don't get me wrong, in all likelihood the next car purchase I make will require me to trade in one of my toys (I'm starting to run out of garage space) if it's over $100K. But I definitely don't purchase vehicles anymore with a view to trading them in at some point. I drive my Vette all year round up here with studded snow tires on without a care in the world. In fact, I'd prefer to break something on the car now while it's under warranty........the clock is ticking........... I may never sell it/trade it in. But, if I do, it will be paid for, and I will have got my full use out of it. If I were to trade it in right now, after a year of ownership, I'd lose my shirt. The loses due to interest (which is always loaded up to the first year of the loan), and depreciation, are massive. During the first year of the loan, the majority of the payment is paying off the cost of borrowing the money. Very little of the payment actually goes to the principle of the loan. Now if you trade it in and take out another loan you're going to start the whole cycle again of paying mostly interest to the bank, while you're upside down (i.e. the car isn't worth as much as you owe due to depreciation.) It's a very dangerous game to play. I noted recently that Chuck from "Corvettes 918" just shut down his YouTube channel and gave back/sold his wife's C7 Grand Sport and his recently purchased C7 ZR1......insane!!!! I suspect he may have got in too far over his head...... In any event, I hate to think about the 10s of thousands of dollars he lost when he liquidated those two recently purchased cars!!!!!!!! I couldn't live with that.....

My biggest thing is that I like to pay my cars off and then just buy another one. I lost 10's of thousands of dollars as a young man trading in motorcycles and cars and losing bucket loads of money until I realized that this is exactly what the dealerships and banks want you to do. It always gives me a chuckle when I see the statement, "We accept trades." hahahahahahahah............ of course you do. That's where you make a lot of your revenue. You basically give the customer $10K-$15K less than they could sell the car for on the open market for their trade in, and after the deal is done, you put it out on the lot for $10K-$15K more...... I get it. You need to make $$$$$. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, don't get me wrong, in all likelihood the next car purchase I make will require me to trade in one of my toys (I'm starting to run out of garage space) if it's over $100K. But I definitely don't purchase vehicles anymore with a view to trading them in at some point. I drive my Vette all year round up here with studded snow tires on without a care in the world. In fact, I'd prefer to break something on the car now while it's under warranty........the clock is ticking........... I may never sell it/trade it in. But, if I do, it will be paid for, and I will have got my full use out of it. If I were to trade it in right now, after a year of ownership, I'd lose my shirt. The loses due to interest (which is always loaded up to the first year of the loan), and depreciation, are massive. During the first year of the loan, the majority of the payment is paying off the cost of borrowing the money. Very little of the payment actually goes to the principle of the loan. Now if you trade it in and take out another loan you're going to start the whole cycle again of paying mostly interest to the bank, while you're upside down (i.e. the car isn't worth as much as you owe due to depreciation.) It's a very dangerous game to play. I noted recently that Chuck from "Corvettes 918" just shut down his YouTube channel and gave back/sold his wife's C7 Grand Sport and his recently purchased C7 ZR1......insane!!!! I suspect he may have got in too far over his head...... In any event, I hate to think about the 10s of thousands of dollars he lost when he liquidated those two recently purchased cars!!!!!!!! I couldn't live with that.....

These are very good points you make in regard to the actual cost vs the depreciation alone in trading up, across on these cars especially in the first 2 years. We have all suffered through the misery of paying interest on cars we want or worse yet need. Back in those days there wasn’t any choice for me.
I’ve been fortunate enough through hard work and likely plain stubbornness to be able to pay cash for the all the vehicles in the last number of years including 3 corvettes. I took a beating on each and every one of them at trade in time but the beatings were in the 20-50k range so it was not nearly as painful as the initial purchase. All 3 of our vehicles are owned 100% by us... not any bank.
I suppose the way I look at it is the corvette is a depreciating asset that requires a fairly quick turnover to minimize the losses if you want to always be driving one that’s on warranty.
This retained value is maximized by maximum trim level, reasonable mileage, no performance modifications and a full appreciation that all cosmetic stuff is money thrown away in trade value. The thought on the cosmetic stuff was to pull it off and reinstall the factory stuff. Then install the mods on the new car. Ya... that’s not going to work for the movement to the C8. 😂
My current 17 Z06 was to have a garage life of 1 year and be traded for a C7ZR1 this year but the insanity in the prices of these cars this year simply made that a foolish venture for what improvements the car actually has over my Z06. It would have cost me 100k or more to do it. So I kept the Z06 and wasted a bunch of $ on cosmetics instead. In my world it was just too much of a difference in price. For others no and good on them as I can only imagine how great that car is to drive.
What’s all of this about? Happiness. Getting that first one paid out at purchase time or very quickly opens up the possibility of retaining all the money wasted on interest to be used on a quicker trade or sale where more value can be retained thus allowing you to stay in a new car and not be making payments. It’s managed loss at that point and pumps pure joy into your soul. Even in the winter for you @flyboy999 which is more than a little bit cool 😎 to see.
Maybe when I’m old, poor and eating spam from a can taking about the glory days... I will at least have a story. 😂

I saw Chucks departure from YouTube. Both his cars gone too. Seems weird how he did that I agree as he could have got some huge mileage out of selling his cars and his departure but suddenly his cars were gone and so is he. Does make one wonder. Looks like he was set up pretty well and has some kind of mechanical business going but ya maybe he got in kind of deep. Or maybe he genuinely got a great opportunity and had to move on. Who knows. Likely the story will come out.
I like Chuck. Positive guy and quite practical vs that streetspeed guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyboy999
These are very good points you make in regard to the actual cost vs the depreciation alone in trading up, across on these cars especially in the first 2 years. We have all suffered through the misery of paying interest on cars we want or worse yet need. Back in those days there wasn’t any choice for me.
I’ve been fortunate enough through hard work and likely plain stubbornness to be able to pay cash for the all the vehicles in the last number of years including 3 corvettes. I took a beating on each and every one of them at trade in time but the beatings were in the 20-50k range so it was not nearly as painful as the initial purchase. All 3 of our vehicles are owned 100% by us... not any bank.
I suppose the way I look at it is the corvette is a depreciating asset that requires a fairly quick turnover to minimize the losses if you want to always be driving one that’s on warranty.
This retained value is maximized by maximum trim level, reasonable mileage, no performance modifications and a full appreciation that all cosmetic stuff is money thrown away in trade value. The thought on the cosmetic stuff was to pull it off and reinstall the factory stuff. Then install the mods on the new car. Ya... that’s not going to work for the movement to the C8. 😂
My current 17 Z06 was to have a garage life of 1 year and be traded for a C7ZR1 this year but the insanity in the prices of these cars this year simply made that a foolish venture for what improvements the car actually has over my Z06. It would have cost me 100k or more to do it. So I kept the Z06 and wasted a bunch of $ on cosmetics instead. In my world it was just too much of a difference in price. For others no and good on them as I can only imagine how great that car is to drive.
What’s all of this about? Happiness. Getting that first one paid out at purchase time or very quickly opens up the possibility of retaining all the money wasted on interest to be used on a quicker trade or sale where more value can be retained thus allowing you to stay in a new car and not be making payments. It’s managed loss at that point and pumps pure joy into your soul. Even in the winter for you @flyboy999 which is more than a little bit cool 😎 to see.
Maybe when I’m old, poor and eating spam from a can taking about the glory days... I will at least have a story. 😂

I saw Chucks departure from YouTube. Both his cars gone too. Seems weird how he did that I agree as he could have got some huge mileage out of selling his cars and his departure but suddenly his cars were gone and so is he. Does make one wonder. Looks like he was set up pretty well and has some kind of mechanical business going but ya maybe he got in kind of deep. Or maybe he genuinely got a great opportunity and had to move on. Who knows. Likely the story will come out.
I like Chuck. Positive guy and quite practical vs that streetspeed guy.
I feel like I'm getting too old and bored with the whole "Look at me, I'm 24 and just bought another $400K super car YouTube crowd." Even Damon Fryer of Daily Driven Exotics has started to resort to immature antics. My '17 Z06 is max trim ($32K in options) Z07 3LZ no mods....but....as you know I drive it all year round so I'm probably going to break 30K Km this year on the odometer....oh well.... I'll take the hit there if I trade it in. The car still amazes me. My wife and I went grocery shopping two days ago. $238 in groceries....about 9 bags...still had room to spare!!! No other 200mph+ car on the planet can do that...The C8....no way.....l'll have to see if the rest makes up for it 😁

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread