Tony Gull

Casual User
Nov 16, 2015
St. Albert
VetteCoins
Car
2018 Z06
The short drive home from Costco impressed me already. Car felt much better and 0 noise from the new skins. Just replaced the stock Super Sports. 39600km. The fronts were worn on the insides worse than the rest of the tires. If they had worn evenly I would've got another 10K out of them, going in for an alignment on Monday. Looking forward to a summer of cruising!
UQPV2010[1].JPG
IMG_0301[1].JPG
IMG_0300[1].JPG

Tony, curious about the installation. Did they (Costco) know the proper method to lift your car? I see the wheel chocks and the floor jack in use but wonder if this came from your input? Great looking car by the way. Love the colour.

Tony, curious about the installation. Did they (Costco) know the proper method to lift your car? I see the wheel chocks and the floor jack in use but wonder if this came from your input? Great looking car by the way. Love the colour.
Thanks. No they said they couldn't use the lift. Since they had done vettes before I trusted them. A bit scary but they use the same method to jack it as I do. I may not have to remove my wheels anymore since I got these "ultra high performance a/s.

The short drive home from Costco impressed me already. Car felt much better and 0 noise from the new skins. Just replaced the stock Super Sports. 39600km. The fronts were worn on the insides worse than the rest of the tires. If they had worn evenly I would've got another 10K out of them, going in for an alignment on Monday. Looking forward to a summer of cruising!View attachment 7854 View attachment 7852 View attachment 7853

I see yours is a Z51. Are the new tires run flats and did you replace them with the same size tire as OEM? Thanks.

Yes the runflats (ZP) came available just in time in the stock size. I'd been hoping for a runflat as I had replaced the Bridgestone (junk but awesome when new) runflats on my Beemer 335i with this exact Michelin but NONrun flats. The precision handling was lost. I blamed it on the less stiff sidewall. Maybe it's just this particular tire. Now that I have both nonrunflats and runflats in the exact same tire I'll let the guys know how these tires feel.
Running a nonrunflat would not scare me though as I'm doing it already but Michelin has a good option so I went with it.

Update on the new Pilot Sports A/S 3+. Very happy with these. Car feels so much better, handling very crisp and much quieter ride. Could be a case of how worn out the stock tires were.

I had the alignment done just after the tire installation. I had inside wear on my original tires. My shop has a new alignment machine and the new tires were already starting to show wear on the inside (150k!). The factory gives some negative camber which causes this and I think it causes that 'skipping' situation when turning at low speeds, especially backing up (haven't had the new setup long enough to see if this is gone). There may be a reason the factory wants this but street driving with the camber pushed closer to 'zero' feels awesome right up to 170 so far. My alignment setup was bang on the factory settings, by the way, so every so C7 is setup this way and will wear out the inside of your front tires.

yup... I am aware of the factory caster and camber Randy..My C6 was down to the cords on the inside edges at 35,000 k.. I just find it interesting that wear is apparent at 150 km... but the tire can still be intact at 40,000 km ... the wear curve must be aggressive when the tire is new and flatten off once the tire reaches a certain degree of bevel on that inside edge.... I have 5000 k on my C7 and will take a look when I take her off the foams.... If I backed off the factory setting, I wouldn't want to noticeably change the corner handling as that is where I liked to push the C6 and now the C7. :D

Reactions: Tony Gull
Yeah I was surprised too. I'm thinking the machine could pick it up before the eye could really see it. I didn't ask if he had done manual measurement or what but I should be good now for a bunch of years. I bought this unit with 27000k on it so I started out with sketchy tires right off the bat.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
With our '05 the tires, with factory alignment specs also had the tires wearing on the inside. My alignment guy zeroed the camber. He said that it might wander a little when running above 130 mph. Won't be going that fast ever so I would rather get some extra tire life. So far, so good with the Firestone runflat tires that I put on two summers ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread