NIK, I sincerely hope you're being cynical, or even sarcastic (we really do need a "Sarcasm" font).

For the record, I was the Hunter Safety Instructor for many years at the Outdoor Sportsmen's activity Conservation Area of Metro Toronto Conservation Authority. Yes, I've also been a hunter and sport shooter for over 50 years, and shoot both hunting firearms and restricted. Unfortunately, the bulk of the Canadian population (a) knows diddly-squat about firearms (b) doesn't realize that firearms have legitimate uses [i.e. hunting, predator control on farms, etc.] (c) thinks any shooting event is done by citizens who legally own the firearms used in crimes [Hint: not a shred of truth in that misbegotten belief, in fact the exact opposite - gang-banger guns are oveerwhelmingly smuggled up from Stateside]

I also do not own any of the OIC (Order-in-Council) "banned" firearms from that

I know Mike well, although I've not ever sold any of my hunting rifles to him. Nice guy, but the stories about him are all wrong - he hasn't got a single square foot of space in his mobile home to store even a single firearm.

This is so off-base/incorrect in many aspects. To clarify - the Lieberals have indeed enacted an Order-in-Council with an announced "buy-back", but haven't yet figured out [a] how they'll pay for them when surrendered since they've pretty much emptied the kitty how the logistics and mechanics of that aspect of the progamme will work [c] whether this law will hold up in the first place, since it was never brought before parliament for any vote.

Also, restricted firearms cannot be used for hunting in Canada, ever, end of story.

Frankly, the government knows that legal hunters, etc. aren't the problem, but clamping down on the law-abiding costs very little, while actually devoting resources to impede smuggled guns costs BIG BUCKS $$$$$ for border/import control, more customs officers, more cops, etc. And 5 years down the road after outlawing firearms, those smuggled guns will still be committing crimes and violence by those who wouldn't stand a snowball's change in the warm place of ever legally owning a firearm in Canada

Late Life Crisis

View attachment 95207
Good balanced thought out post although I just might include other parties in the caption.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pep
As I have garnered a reputation for posts that sometimes attract varying degrees of opinions, I will venture out on a limb and toss another one out there for discussion. As always we will welcome opinions from all but be advised now that hotbed arguments that trespass into trolling and/or dissing any members opinions will not be tolerated. And with that:

Another plea by lobby groups has been issued to our federal government to move towards a country wide ban of legally owned handguns. This comes after the previously adopted ban on some 1500 long guns intended on making our country a safer place to live.

Again. Please be civil if you wish to post a comment.

For the members that think this should not be discussed on a Corvette forum, I would note that this is an OFF TOPIC section of the forum.

As I have garnered a reputation for posts that sometimes attract varying degrees of opinions, I will venture out on a limb and toss another one out there for discussion. As always we will welcome opinions from all but be advised now that hotbed arguments that trespass into trolling and/or dissing any members opinions will not be tolerated. And with that:

Another plea by lobby groups has been issued to our federal government to move towards a country wide ban of legally owned handguns. This comes after the previously adopted ban on some 1500 long guns intended on making our country a safer place to live.

Again. Please be civil if you wish to post a comment.

For the members that think this should not be discussed on a Corvette forum, I would note that this is an OFF TOPIC section of the forum.

Well this is a great opportunity for the government to add another couple of thousand folks to the national payroll. They will need all these new people to form a department to chase all of these registered hand gun owners.

I am sure everyone has heard "it is not the gun that kills, but rather the nut behind the trigger".

I am not thinking we need to worry about people with legally registered hand guns. Isn't it the unregistered illegal hand guns we need to worry about? Isn't this the job of our police forces to look after unregistered and illegal hand guns or are they too busy arresting truck drivers?

I am sure our fearless leader has the solution; declare martial law and arrest everyone!

Well this is a great opportunity for the government to add another couple of thousand folks to the national payroll. They will need all these new people to form a department to chase all of these registered hand gun owners.

I am sure everyone has heard "it is not the gun that kills, but rather the nut behind the trigger".

I am not thinking we need to worry about people with legally registered hand guns. Isn't it the unregistered illegal hand guns we need to worry about? Isn't this the job of our police forces to look after unregistered and illegal hand guns or are they too busy arresting truck drivers?

I am sure our fearless leader has the solution; declare martial law and arrest everyone!
Doubt he will follow in Putin's footsteps

Reactions: Timbo
You mean it's not like this when I go through this process?

Video Game Action GIF by Call of Duty
Maybe in BC lol.... For that purchase you need a Prohibited PAL and muscles like Sylvester just to carry it. I want pictures when it sets you on you a$$ when you pull the trigger.... lol .

No one is talking about outlawing guns, just deadly assault weapons like the mass shooter in NS used. No one needs a semi for hunting ..unless the deer are starting to shoot back now. Hand guns are virtually useless for hunting, they are also made to kill people at short range. Assault semi auto's are the weapon of choice for school shooters, mass shooters and terrorists. They are made for putting holes in people quickly, not hunting. Banning them will make them harder to get and more expensive ..which is the way it should be. btw: I own 2 guns myself, a 12 gauge for birds and a beauty of a .22 my dad gave me when I turned 16. Anyone who knows what he is doing can change out a semi for full auto in about an hour.
Contrary to your opinion on converting semi-automatic firearms, "anyone who knows what they are doing" are few and far between and, other than the AR platform which was under the restricted category and is now a banned weapon, it is extremely difficult and expensive to modify modern firearms into full autos. Semi automatic rifles still have a place in both my farm community, the competition sport shooter and the hunting population. When I go out and see a pack of coyotes attacking and killing my sheep, my semi-auto has a much better chance of me terminating at least one as he's running for cover. Both semi-auto and bolt action rifles are restricted to no more than 5 shot magazines in Canada and higher capacity magazines have been for many years so not the mass weapons of destruction the lefties would like to think. Although I don't hunt big game with a semi-auto, I have no issue with those that do. It does not matter how good, how experienced and how conscientious a game hunter is, wounding an animal happens. They only need to move at the moment you pull the trigger to turn a heart/lung shot into a gut shot. Then you have either a 10 hour stalk or you lose a wounded animal to suffer for days before it dies. An experienced hunter knows to work the bolt and chamber another round immediately after firing a shot just in case but that takes seconds to do and then multiple seconds more to acquire a running animal back into the sights for a killing shot. A semi-auto takes many of those seconds away and gives a better chance for a humane harvest. The ban on semi-auto long guns is inevitable if the current government remains in power for much longer, and then the call will be for a ban on all hand guns, followed it time by a ban on all guns. The Coalition for Gun Control and the rest of the so called experts that feel they know best will not rest until the entire population of Canada are turned into mushrooms that are expected to keep their mouths shut and eat $hit whenever told to do so.

How about mandating the government to restructure the justice system instead and penalize offenders adequately. Most low life offenders that fell short of killing someone, if they are indeed apprehended, are released on their own recognizance pending a court date. A slap on the fingers by judges and they are back on the street in 3 months or less. Next time maybe they acquire an illegal gun from the other multiple criminals that are running free and kill someone in their next robbery offence. How could this be avoided? Yes. If we confiscate all the legal, law abiding population's firearms, that will solve everything. Possibly JT knows this will not work (he's been advised by many (including the RCMP), but he also knows that his government needs to maintain the votes of the multiple lobby groups in Ontario and Quebec, and the rest of the lefties there to stay in power. Because he sure can't rely on being a good Prime Minister or the rest of Canada to keep him there.

This is the firearm that the mass shooter in NS used. This is a Ruger Mini 14 semi auto. It is limited to a 5 shot magazine by law. It's called a Ranch rifle. Looks ferocious doesn't it. The shooter in NS illegally acquired a 30 round magazine for this rifle, and had the RCMP paid attention to the multiple warnings of the shooters mental condition and threats of violence, they would have been able to remove both the illegal magazine and the firearm from this individual. Much like the Mayerthorpe RCMP murders. The RCMP had multiple warnings for years about this individual as well. Yes. This ranch rifle is on the banned list along with multiple single shot rifles and even single shot shotguns.

If anyone has made it this far reading this, I commend you. Many of you with different, predetermined opinions set in concrete may not.

1650736849128.png

Contrary to your opinion on converting semi-automatic firearms, "anyone who knows what they are doing" are few and far between and, other than the AR platform which was under the restricted category and is now a banned weapon, it is extremely difficult and expensive to modify modern firearms into full autos.
There are video's all over youtube on how to do it. One guy did it in 20 minutes.

"Simple Mod to Convert AR-15 to Full Auto"​

• Haha
Reactions: 12cents
"This is the firearm that the mass shooter in NS used. This is a Ruger Mini 14 semi auto."
Its on the list of banned weapons now for that exact reason.

"Semi automatic rifles still have a place in both my farm community, the competition sport shooter and the hunting population."
They dont now. Elections have consequences.

" ..followed it time by a ban on all guns."
Ah, the old slippery slope fallacy used by those against the ban of semi auto's in Canada. Get back to us when that actually happens pls. Liberals will not ban guns used for hunting. That would be political suicide.

Majority of Canadians support new gun ban but want feds to focus on smuggling: Ipsos | Globalnews.ca
"And while a third of Canadians believe the recent ban on 1,500 of those weapons goes too far, eight in 10 say they agree with the move and about 70 per cent believe all handguns should be prohibited as well.."

Seems I am in the comfortable majority.

Last edited:
You never looked at your AR 15 Convert video did you?

You never read what was quoted in the box in your post above, you just wandered off to make some other point that had nothing to do with the quote you inserted.

Sargent at Arms. Well, Parliamentary Security is one of his responsibilities and Vicker's apparently handled it well although it has never been verified he actually shot the man. He has a long history as a RCMP police officer and the fact that his political persuasion is Liberal has nothing to do with anything.

Reactions: Pep
You never looked at your AR 15 Convert video did you?

You never read what was quoted in the box in your post above, you just wandered off to make some other point that had nothing to do with the quote you inserted.

Sargent at Arms. Well, Parliamentary Security is one of his responsibilities and Vicker's apparently handled it well although it has never been verified he actually shot the man. He has a long history as a RCMP police officer and the fact that his political persuasion is Liberal has nothing to do with anything.
I most certainly did look at the convert video. And I did read what was quoted in the box above. Why didnt you say "his political persuasion has nothing to do with anything" to the guy who posted this:
AR15 & Criminal Act blk on wht.jpg

Last edited:
I just love non controversial topics... as an owner of two firearms I definitely favor our right to posses legal firearms. Whether it be for hunting or simply for range/target shooting doesn't matter. I do support the required licensing, registration and background checks, albeit if someone loses their marbles all that background work means absolutely nothing. One thing that I do not support are Automatic style weapons being in the hands of everyday citizens, (albeit others may believe it infringes on their rights). Just my 2cents.... Carry on now, there were some good varying points of view happening... :Cheers2:

No one is talking about outlawing guns, just deadly assault weapons like the mass shooter in NS used. No one needs a semi for hunting ..unless the deer are starting to shoot back now. Hand guns are virtually useless for hunting, they are also made to kill people at short range. Assault semi auto's are the weapon of choice for school shooters, mass shooters and terrorists. They are made for putting holes in people quickly, not hunting. Banning them will make them harder to get and more expensive ..which is the way it should be. btw: I own 2 guns myself, a 12 gauge for birds and a beauty of a .22 my dad gave me when I turned 16. Anyone who knows what he is doing can change out a semi for full auto in about an hour.
Over 90% of handguns used in crimes are illegally imported from the US. Very rare that a handgun used in criminal activity is stolen from someone in Canada. Confirmed this from a TPS homicide detective and statistics. These so called "assault" guns are really no different then hunting rifles that are semi-auto. The government is so misleading with the terminology, eg. military grade, etc. Military guns are not saleable to the public. Guns that resemble military guns are what is banned. Any semi-auto hunting rifle can be changed to look like a military rifle. Change the stock, add a pistol grip, and change the front hand guard, maybe add a scope and there you have an "assault" weapon.

As for handguns, nothing wrong with sports shooting as long as it is done legit. If you propose that handguns are only made to shoot people, I don't buy it. Handguns can be a backup for hunters, home defence, sport shooting. Unfortunately some people use them to commit crimes. Every gun can be called an "assault" gun since it can be used for assaulting someone. So can a car, a knife, rope or your bare hands. Silly but true.
As for converting a semi-auto to full auto, very few have the skill and/or parts. How many shootings involve a semi-auto converted to a full auto? None that I have seen or heard of and I'm in touch with a lot of police. A full auto is made specifically for full auto. A semi converted could quite easily jam/melt/break since if was not initially designed for full auto.

I don't own any banned guns, sold them years ago when I saw this ban coming. I just don't agree with how the government is painting the law abiding citizen for what a small group of criminals does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riley P
If you propose that handguns are only made to shoot people, I don't buy it. Handguns can be a backup for hunters, home defence, sport shooting. Unfortunately some people use them to commit crimes. Every gun can be called an "assault" gun since it can be used for assaulting someone. So can a car, a knife, rope or your bare hands. Silly but true.
Well I do buy it and so do 70% of Canadians.

"So can a car, a knife, rope or your bare hands."
That kind of comment is known in debating circles as a false equivalency. Cars, knives, ropes and your bare hands were not made or designed to put holes in people. Handguns are.

That kind of comment is known in debating circles as a false equivalency. Cars, knives, ropes and your bare hands were not made or designed to put holes in people. Handguns are.

All depends on the intent. Maybe no holes, however still assaultive.

I guess this is a "false equivalency" @tyho. Very much assaultive.

It is not the van, gun, rope, knives it is the insanity behind the deed.

Reactions: tyho
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread