Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
As I have garnered a reputation for posts that sometimes attract varying degrees of opinions, I will venture out on a limb and toss another one out there for discussion. As always we will welcome opinions from all but be advised now that hotbed arguments that trespass into trolling and/or dissing any members opinions will not be tolerated. And with that:

Another plea by lobby groups has been issued to our federal government to move towards a country wide ban of legally owned handguns. This comes after the previously adopted ban on some 1500 long guns intended on making our country a safer place to live.

Again. Please be civil if you wish to post a comment.

For the members that think this should not be discussed on a Corvette forum, I would note that this is an OFF TOPIC section of the forum.

Reactions: Riley P
Said nothing about derailing the thread so here we go … 😆

YYC has lobbyists wanting to ban gas leaf blowers.

Fed’s got pinched in a “2030 green type report” of theirs documenting an effort to establish a carbon related tax of up to $4000 on sales of vehicles exceeding 13 litres.per 100 kms fuel efficiency … it’s being aimed toward the sale of every 1/2ton pickup truck and larger. Everything from farming to construction would be impacted and raise the cost of goods dramatically (produce, meat, grain, construction, etc).

Without a truck, where would someone put their hunting firearm? Oh damn … so much for derailing the thread 😂

Fed’s got pinched in a “2030 green type report” of theirs documenting an effort to establish a carbon related tax of up to $4000 on sales of vehicles exceeding 13 litres.per 100 kms fuel efficiency … it’s being aimed toward the sale of every 1/2ton pickup truck and larger. Everything from farming to construction would be impacted and raise the cost of goods dramatically (produce, meat, grain, construction, etc).

Without a truck, where would someone put their hunting firearm? Oh damn … so much for derailing the thread 😂
lol.... I read about the YYC call to ban leaf blowers due to noise pollution. What next.

As I have garnered a reputation for posts that sometimes attract varying degrees of opinions, I will venture out on a limb and toss another one out there for discussion. As always we will welcome opinions from all but be advised now that hotbed arguments that trespass into trolling and/or dissing any members opinions will not be tolerated. And with that:

Another plea by lobby groups has been issued to our federal government to move towards a country wide ban of legally owned handguns. This comes after the previously adopted ban on some 1500 long guns intended on making our country a safer place to live.

Again. Please be civil if you wish to post a comment.

For the members that think this should not be discussed on a Corvette forum, I would note that this is an OFF TOPIC section of the forum.

I'll bite and give you a devil's advocate argument.

Why do you need a handgun outside of the locker of a shooting range? Don't say protect family, lots of people do that without a handgun today and for a very long time. Dare I say vaaast majority of families are protected without handguns today.

Disclaimer: I'm thinking doing my PAL restricted license soon so need to know about my investment. :p

Reactions: Dave91TM

Why do you need a handgun outside of the locker of a shooting range? Don't say protect family, lots of people do that without a handgun today and for a very long time. Dare I say vaaast majority of families are protected without handguns today.

Disclaimer: I'm thinking doing my PAL restricted license soon so need to know about my investment. :p
If you say you want a hand gun for self defense, good luck getting an approval. You will need a gun range membership before they will give you a permit to own it and that is the reason you want it. For sport shooting.. Your permit (if anything like Alberta) will specify to and from an approved range.... not stopping at McDonalds or your bank on the way there or back. Point A to point B only. No backyard Vernon shooting practice. My hand guns remain in my safe until I want to use them. My home defense is covered by other means.

Reactions: Dave91TM
If you say you want a hand gun for self defense, good luck getting an approval. You will need a gun range membership before they will give you a permit to own it and that is the reason you want it. For sport shooting.. Your permit (if anything like Alberta) will specify to and from an approved range.... not stopping at McDonalds or your bank on the way there or back. Point A to point B only. No backyard Vernon shooting practice. My hand guns remain in my safe until I want to use them. My home defense is covered by other means.

You mean it's not like this when I go through this process?

Video Game Action GIF by Call of Duty

DeLuca, a Liberal politician in Ontario said he would ban hand guns within the first month of being elected. This is getting ridiculous. Why is the middle class, law abiding citizen always the one who gets screwed by the government, no matter what government is in power? They are the class that complains the least, contributes the most, and it seems that no matter what the situation calls for, it's always the law abiding middle class that pays the price. Outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. Gas burning cars are also on the government chopping block. Things just keep getting better ... not.

Reactions: Riley P
Outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
No one is talking about outlawing guns, just deadly assault weapons like the mass shooter in NS used. No one needs a semi for hunting ..unless the deer are starting to shoot back now. Hand guns are virtually useless for hunting, they are also made to kill people at short range. Assault semi auto's are the weapon of choice for school shooters, mass shooters and terrorists. They are made for putting holes in people quickly, not hunting. Banning them will make them harder to get and more expensive ..which is the way it should be. btw: I own 2 guns myself, a 12 gauge for birds and a beauty of a .22 my dad gave me when I turned 16. Anyone who knows what he is doing can change out a semi for full auto in about an hour.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
just deadly assault weapons like the mass shooter in NS used

Guns that the RCMP were aware of and did nothing about?

You may want to attempt to confuse but the guns held legally by licensed and trained gun owners are not the problem. Just keep spewing the anti gun narrative, I think most of us understand your position.

Reactions: Riley P and Pep

Shades of Easy Rider film.

These topics seem to just about always bring out the "right" saying their "rights" are being stepped upon and conversely the "left" saying just about the same thing only, obviously, in the other direction.
The far left want to live in an idealistic world where everyone is sane, Won't happen
The far right has the "anything" goes attitude of don't trample on my "Rights", whatever they are.

Seems to me a good case of Newcastle Brown or Smithwick's would settle this in a civilized fashion.
Take your pick. Please note that one glass is on the right and the other is on the left.
I suggest you try the one opposite to your views. LOL

1650717654089.png

1650717618372.png

What exactly does this have to do with the topic at hand? Try and stay within the confines of the discussion please.
I answered his question "Why is the middle class, law abiding citizen always the one who gets screwed by the government, no matter what government is in power?" with "The liberal govt in Ottawa gave the middle class a nice income tax break in 2016.." showing not all govt's are always trying to screw the middle class. The gun issue is not just a middle class problem.

"You may want to attempt to confuse but the guns held legally by licensed and trained gun owners are not the problem. Just keep spewing the anti gun narrative, I think most of us understand your position."

- I am not attempting to spew or confuse at all and I am not anti gun. As I said I own 2 myself. But semi auto's can easily become a very deadly problem if they are stolen, sold/given to someone privately who is not licenced/trained, someone insane or who became insane with criminal tendencies (like the NS mass shooter) or when those weapons are not locked up as they should be. Its clear you have no problem with the general public owning military grade assault weapons when I do. I think most of us understand your position also.

Last edited:

NIK, I sincerely hope you're being cynical, or even sarcastic (we really do need a "Sarcasm" font).

For the record, I was the Hunter Safety Instructor for many years at the Outdoor Sportsmen's activity Conservation Area of Metro Toronto Conservation Authority. Yes, I've also been a hunter and sport shooter for over 50 years, and shoot both hunting firearms and restricted. Unfortunately, the bulk of the Canadian population (a) knows diddly-squat about firearms (b) doesn't realize that firearms have legitimate uses [i.e. hunting, predator control on farms, etc.] (c) thinks any shooting event is done by citizens who legally own the firearms used in crimes [Hint: not a shred of truth in that misbegotten belief, in fact the exact opposite - gang-banger guns are oveerwhelmingly smuggled up from Stateside]

I also do not own any of the OIC (Order-in-Council) "banned" firearms from that
As this is a semi-public forum, and for the record, all of my nr firearms were either lost in a terrible boating accident or sold to Mike from Canmore. I would however be prepared to wax eloquently on the thread subject in a face to face discussion.
I know Mike well, although I've not ever sold any of my hunting rifles to him. Nice guy, but the stories about him are all wrong - he hasn't got a single square foot of space in his mobile home to store even a single firearm.
Tyho: how many of the banned guns do you own? I believe there is a buy back program for them..
This is so off-base/incorrect in many aspects. To clarify - the Lieberals have indeed enacted an Order-in-Council with an announced "buy-back", but haven't yet figured out [a] how they'll pay for them when surrendered since they've pretty much emptied the kitty how the logistics and mechanics of that aspect of the progamme will work [c] whether this law will hold up in the first place, since it was never brought before parliament for any vote.

Also, restricted firearms cannot be used for hunting in Canada, ever, end of story.

Frankly, the government knows that legal hunters, etc. aren't the problem, but clamping down on the law-abiding costs very little, while actually devoting resources to impede smuggled guns costs BIG BUCKS $$$$$ for border/import control, more customs officers, more cops, etc. And 5 years down the road after outlawing firearms, those smuggled guns will still be committing crimes and violence by those who wouldn't stand a snowball's change in the warm place of ever legally owning a firearm in Canada

Late Life Crisis

AR15 & Criminal Act blk on wht.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps part of the problem we would all like to see eliminated.

"The liberal govt in Ottawa gave the middle class a nice income tax break in 2016.." Well it amounted to 1.5% (45/90K) however we lost tax credits at the same time. And yes the Conservatives voted against it, the NDP disagreed with the taxation plan but voted with the government. I guess they have always been a half bubble off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread