Aug 4, 2020
Brooklin
VetteCoins
Car
2023 Corvette
Province
ON
I am the body shop Manager at an Audi Dealer here in Toronto and lately I've been thinking with all the price increases that GM has put on the C8, Z06 and Eray perhaps for my next car I would consider a used R8.

I decided to do a small comparison of some of the common parts that are usually involved in a fender bender to see just how much difference there is in parts prices. Keep in mind that if you are involved in an accident that insurance would be paying the bill anyways but its also a good snap shot of what it would cost to replace some common parts that would either fail or that you could damage your self hitting a parking curb.

The difference in price is pretty shocking and would make me think twice about going the used R8 or any other exotic over a brand new C8 with warranty.

My comparison is between a 2023 C8 Z51 and a 2012 R8 GT. Two cars I've recently done estimates on.

Here is a small list:

C8 F Bumper - $1,140
R8 F Bumper - $12,300
C8 F lip - $346
R8 F lip - $11,487
C8 Headlight - $3200
R8 Headlight - $9550
C8 R bumper - $971
R8 R bumper - $4,395
C8 Tail light - $816
R8 Tail light - $2,450

I suspect that some of that differential is because you are comparing a limited production Audi that is 12 years old to a more mass produced Corvette that is current. The 2 to 3 times MSRP of the Audi plays a role too. Still, those are pretty shocking numbers on the Audi.

Reactions: 1st Vette
I suspect that some of that differential is because you are comparing a limited production Audi that is 12 years old to a more mass produced Corvette that is current. The 2 to 3 times MSRP of the Audi plays a role too. Still, those are pretty shocking numbers on the Audi.
This is what I have seen as status quo for most imports whether mass produced or not. I remember in the early 1990's the head light assembly for my MX6 Mazda was $1200 plus dollars to replace and was not were near complex in size or design as the Mustang I also had. Mustang complete headlight assembly $86, Mazda MX6 $1200+.
It was a small stone chip in the lens and did not want to go through insurance.

The MX6 also had a cracked turbo inter cooler and they want $5000 for that. I told the dealer that is the last import I buy and traded it in for a new Mustang and have no interest in their price gouging.

Even pricing for my limited production Viper were still on earth. It was 24 years old when I sold it. Even a new fibreglass/composite hood unpainted was in the $8000 range and that hood is far larger than a R8 hood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zedder
I thought about that after I posted. Should not have compared a GT. Sorry about that.

Here are some prices on a 2017 V10 plus we did a $100,000 repair on for one of the Leafs a few years ago.

Front bumper - $2,734
Front Lip - $11,889
Headlight - $9600
Rear Bumper - $3100
Rear Diffuser - $20,500
Rear tail light - $3600

I thought about that after I posted. Should not have compared a GT. Sorry about that.

Here are some prices on a 2017 V10 plus we did a $100,000 repair on for one of the Leafs a few years ago.

Front bumper - $2,734
Front Lip - $11,889
Headlight - $9600
Rear Bumper - $3100
Rear Diffuser - $20,500
Rear tail light - $3600
At least the price on the headlight is reasonable…… :rolleyes: :laughatyou:

• Haha
Reactions: EMMDEE
How many times have you replaced body parts on your vehicles? Do you not have insurance?

Also, R8 > C8 all day long. One of the most reliable supercar on the market.

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpeg
    IMG_3976.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 0
How many times have you replaced body parts on your vehicles? Do you not have insurance?

Also, R8 > C8 all day long. One of the most reliable supercar on the market.
Totally true just like the Gallardo, but the cost to own them is much higher than any Corvette and I sincerely think the C8 is now up to almost the same level. Almost !

Totally true just like the Gallardo, but the cost to own them is much higher than any Corvette and I sincerely think the C8 is now up to almost the same level. Almost !
Having owned a 2004 LP 140 and 2012 LP560, I can tell you that even with the Audi influence and parts, the cars were still horribly unreliable. And servicing is a nightmare. E.g. requiring the entire rear of the car dismantled and trany pull to change a clutch. 18 hours labor cost. $10K bill for a $2K part (2010 pricing, so more today?)

But….They are WAY better looking than a C8. And that is why people will pay 4x as much for Lambos as for the lowly C8. Fact.

• Spam
Reactions: 1st Vette
But….They are WAY better looking than a C8. And that is why people will pay 4x as much for Lambos as for the lowly C8. Fact.
Fact? That statement is totally subjective.

I owned my 2007 Gallardo only about a month and a half and around 1000 km so not an expert on them but had enough time to learn it would not be a really fun experience. A modern exotic car is for rich people no matter what ! I had 4 older Ferraris and there was no stress owning them but newer ones is very different. I owned my 2007 C6 for 3 years and NEVER felt this car would would put me in some kind of finance nightmare. And I loved it.
I know my C8 will be a relaxing car to own. They are poor man exotic.

Last edited:
The oil system is a dry sump system with 4 drain plugs.... Oil level is critical as is maiking sure all the oil lines are purge of air after draining and re-servicing.. Operating temp and higher rpm is required to stabilize the oil system.
So, they get to beat on the customers car? wow!