Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
Due to the possibility of bad gas making my engine throw a code for the knock sensor, I tried using up as much fuel as possible before filling up (you know where this is going) So, with 3/8ths of a tank of fuel left, I headed to Regina! An hour later, I was notified that I was on reserve fuel with 100 km left to go, no big deal, I'll just check what the fuel range gage says, 144 km if fuel left, sweet. Well with 120 km left on the fuel range display, my cruise control shut off, however, the engine was still running but when I pressed the gas pedal, nothing happened. I coast like this for about a km before the engine shut off and I got on a side road, 68 km from Regina with what should be 120 kms left in fuel. No codes were thrown so I called my brother to bring me some gas. Thank goodness the car fired right up and that the fuel pump wasn't wrecked.

My question is, do you trust the dic when you travel? Has this happened to anyone else? I understand the gauge was at empty and I was cutting it close, but 120 km close?

Due to the possibility of bad gas making my engine throw a code for the knock sensor, I tried using up as much fuel as possible before filling up (you know where this is going) So, with 3/8ths of a tank of fuel left, I headed to Regina! An hour later, I was notified that I was on reserve fuel with 100 km left to go, no big deal, I'll just check what the fuel range gage says, 144 km if fuel left, sweet. Well with 120 km left on the fuel range display, my cruise control shut off, however, the engine was still running but when I pressed the gas pedal, nothing happened. I coast like this for about a km before the engine shut off and I got on a side road, 68 km from Regina with what should be 120 kms left in fuel. No coffees were thrown so I called my brother to bring me some gas. Thank goodness the car fired right up and that the fuel pump wasn't wrecked.

My question is, do you trust the dic when you travel? Has this happened to anyone else? I understand the gauge was at empty and I was cutting it close, but 120 km close?

Ah that sucks Riley , unfortunately yours is a much documented problem with the C5's . The problem is that the sulpher in the fuel that we use stains the contacts and thus gives false readings . I would not trust the DIC as far as fuel mileage to go , but rather keep a log of how many KM you have travelled . Most of us know that we usually get around 450-500KM per tank depending on how happy your right foot is :rofl: .

If you take some TECHRON and run it throught it may help .

Thanks for the replies guys.

I usually will use milage as the gage does drop to zero, but it came back for the final bit. I figured I would try to trust the computer on this one as I've never done that before....whoops!

As Mike will be all to well to point out, with the way I drive, I should be able to get 5000 km per tank then.:D

I'm just glad I didn't push it from Pinawa to Saskatoon. I made it to Regina after 693km and it said I had enough gas to make it to Saskatoon! HA!

On a side note, I am still coding 3027 Manny. Do you think the knock sensor is gone? How big of a job is it to replace this and would this be a good time to save up for a Z06 intake?

Pardon the diversion from Manny's answer Riley but just had to add that using PetroCan gas will help with this issue since it has Techron in it to help keep those contacts Manny mentioned clean.
Hopefully they are not too dirty and 'retrievable' and that you won't need a new sending unit.

BTW, in case you don't know: the higher the PetroCan gas the higher the level of Techron so if you have '94' out there give it a try. It may just do the trick more quickly.

Not everyone likes PetroCan gas for one reason or another but I've used it in all my vehicles in all grades for as long as I can remember, and never has it let me down -- even thru those difficult years where those contacts seemed to be most troublesone. Just sayin'.

G/L
C.

No PetroCan 94 in Saskatchewan. They do not add Techtron to their fuels here as the stations have not been updated like the ones in Ontario.:(

Bummer. and not even in any other gasoline there.

I wonder if techron is available somewhere over the counter.
LOL, I know I haven't shopped for it lately but it's worth asking around.

and there may be other 'additives' to combat the issue too.

Another source of info would be from the oil company(s) themselves.
They would all know of the gasoline issues we had in recent years and may know of a solution. -- would be worth an email at least.

I expect the local auto dealers would have some info on this too if they can get past the obvious increase in business of gas tank sending unit replacement.:rolleyes:

Check around -- some of these dealers have some smart cookies who have some tech. knowledge that could be very helpful to you.

If I think of anything more I'll post up --

If no solution can be found, the worst that can happen is that you replace the sending unit in the tank and start the process all over again.

The only blessing is that I believe it to be a long process of degradation to ruin those contacts.

Let us know what you find out please.

Colin.

There are fixes for the fuel sender that are not that expensive, however, you need a garage and it would be nice to have a lift. The only Techtron that anyone in our group here was able to hunt down was at a Ford dealership who ordered it in by mistake. I can order some online, but honestly, I normally keep my car full enough that it really doesn't bother me.

I've used SeaFoam to some success but have not used it lately.

The closest fuel source I've found with Techron in it is in Kamloops. A bit of a drive. I'm sure if I look I could find a closer station, but nothing local.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep an ear to the ground.

There are fixes for the fuel sender that are not that expensive, however, you need a garage and it would be nice to have a lift. The only Techtron that anyone in our group here was able to hunt down was at a Ford dealership who ordered it in by mistake. I can order some online, but honestly, I normally keep my car full enough that it really doesn't bother me.

I've used SeaFoam to some success but have not used it lately.

The closest fuel source I've found with Techron in it is in Kamloops. A bit of a drive. I'm sure if I look I could find a closer station, but nothing local.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep an ear to the ground.

I've just remembered what caused the big issue in our sending units some years back: It's MMT : a manganese compound that helps with antiknock.

See link: Antiknock agent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently it works well as an anti-knock but the downside is that it can play havoc with certain gas tank components such as the gas gauge sending unit.

From what I remember some gasoline are still made with it while other manufacturers have stopped in favour of less harmful additives.

I believe that info is available from manufacturers and even some gas stations if you talk to the right people.

This was quite an issue around Ontario with it's large population with many many motorists experiencing the gas gauge problem and it was determined to be MMT additive..

Hope this helps and that you can find some info, a solution, and the right gas to use to avoid another problem.

Cheers,
Colin.

I feel your pain. I've never run out of gas in a vehicle before, but with my vette, I've run out twice! A lot of guys have great luck with Techron, I didn't. So, this year I'm replacing the left side fuel pump. I'm hoping this cures it.

Had the same situation occur in 2005, bringing the Vette home from NC. Had a 1/2 tank and all of a sudden on empty. Kept it full for the rest of the trip and it was OK.
Happened a couple times back in Canada. I started putting in a bottle of Techron in the fall before storage. Have done that each year since and no more problems. Can not buy Techron in this area so always pick up a supply at Wal Mart in Myrtle Beach each Nov.

Had the same situation occur in 2005, bringing the Vette home from NC. Had a 1/2 tank and all of a sudden on empty. Kept it full for the rest of the trip and it was OK.
Happened a couple times back in Canada. I started putting in a bottle of Techron in the fall before storage. Have done that each year since and no more problems. Can not buy Techron in this area so always pick up a supply at Wal Mart in Myrtle Beach each Nov.

I had no idea that Techron would help that issue either -- thanks for the tip.

If I'm not mistaken, Petro-Can gas has techron in it. I'll have to check.

C.

Yeah, you can either pick-up Techron in the States at Wal-Mart or you can get Techron at any GM dealership. It's not called Techron, it's labelled as concentrated fuel system cleaner(or something to that effect, I forget). There is a part number for it too, but I can't remember it either. It's pricey here though. Like $18 a bottle!! Hope that helps if you're in a pinch. If I find the part number I'll put it in here so you guys can reference it. Hope this helps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.