Featured Thread
Thanks. In NS (and probably the same in other provinces) we are allowed to put the license plate from our previous vehicle on a new vehicle and we have 30 days to record the change in vehicles with the Registry of Motor Vehicles. With the purchase of the new vehicle the selling dealer provides the Bill of Sale and the new vehicle form which you take to the RMV and they will provide the registration in your home province. You may have to pay additional sales tax at the time of registration if the required sales tax is not included on the Bill of Sale. I just did the registration this week and it took about 15 minutes at the RMV. In NS, we have to get the vehicle safety inspected and we have 10 days to get that done on a new vehicle.

I have purchased vehicles in NB, Ontario, Alberta, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Wisconsin (1993 RX7 Turbo, highly modified with 427 hp from 1.3 litre rotary) - all got registered in NS with no issues. A little more work for the vehicles imported from the USA but the process is straightforward. I have also registered a kit car (Cobra replica) in NS - that is a lot more work. It took six trips to RMV to get that one done, plus numerous phone calls to the RMV manager and you have to have the vehicle inspected by an automotive engineer.View attachment 82580

I have also exported a car from NS to Florida which was a very easy transaction.View attachment 82582
Beautiful cars! And thanks so much for the detailed explanation, it helps a lot!

And I forgot to report earlier, my C8 was shipped from Spencers Chev to my town in rural NS in 27 hours - picked up at Spencers at 4 pm on a Tuesday and delivered to me at 7:30 pm on Wednesday. It would have actually taken much longer for me to receive my C8 if I had bought it from a NS dealer (shipping by rail from Bowling Green to NS is about one month).

Reactions: pozi240
Thanks. In NS (and probably the same in other provinces) we are allowed to put the license plate from our previous vehicle on a new vehicle and we have 30 days to record the change in vehicles with the Registry of Motor Vehicles. With the purchase of the new vehicle the selling dealer provides the Bill of Sale and the new vehicle form which you take to the RMV and they will provide the registration in your home province. You may have to pay additional sales tax at the time of registration if the required sales tax is not included on the Bill of Sale. I just did the registration this week and it took about 15 minutes at the RMV. In NS, we have to get the vehicle safety inspected and we have 10 days to get that done on a new vehicle.
Congrats on the beautiful new C8 HTC. You mention safety inspections, well, you are correct for "used" or previously registered vehicles, however, new vehicles are exempt from Safety Inspections for the first 3 years after purchase/first registration in NS. We lived in NS for over 25 years until we got posted up to Ottawa in 2016. The East coast is a great place to live, miss the ocean and the scenery... but, we are retiring up here and love it.

Reactions: Driver_WT
And I forgot to report earlier, my C8 was shipped from Spencers Chev to my town in rural NS in 27 hours - picked up at Spencers at 4 pm on a Tuesday and delivered to me at 7:30 pm on Wednesday. It would have actually taken much longer for me to receive my C8 if I had bought it from a NS dealer (shipping by rail from Bowling Green to NS is about one month).
Congrats, this is great news. 👍

Reactions: Driver_WT
You mention safety inspections, well, you are correct for "used" or previously registered vehicles, however, new vehicles are exempt from Safety Inspections for the first 3 years after purchase/first registration in NS. We lived in NS for over 25 years until we got posted up to Ottawa in 2016. The East coast is a great place to live, miss the ocean and the scenery... but, we are retiring up here and love it.
Not quite correct. New vehicles still require a NS safety inspection sticker which is applied during the dealer's PDI process. Since my new car dealer was in Ontario, they could not put on a NS safety inspection sticker during the PDI process. I will be getting the safety inspection done next week, I expect it will be for two years only as it will not be the dealer that did the PDI.

Not quite correct. New vehicles still require a NS safety inspection sticker which is applied during the dealer's PDI process. Since my new car dealer was in Ontario, they could not put on a NS safety inspection sticker during the PDI process. I will be getting the safety inspection done next week, I expect it will be for two years only as it will not be the dealer that did the PDI.
That's new then.. .wasn't like that the last 10 years we lived there (when the province changed to two year inspections from annual). Glad I'm not down there anymore then..... tax you to death in NS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.