Sorry late to answer. The clear engine cover was heat tested to 800 degrees, and based on my 8 hour drive back from ON, plus very packed bumper to bumper Grand Prix weekend traffic, the cover did not warp at all. I would certainly not touch it after a long drive, but it is holding up just fine.

To be honest with you, everyone keeps talking about the heat shield, but once I had that OEM part removed, I was actually surprised to see how little heat shielding was actually on it. You basically have what looks like a big piece of what feels like black plastic (I am sure it is a high heat materiel), and in the centre you have a small thin piece of heat shielding stuck on to it. So it's not like the underside of the entire engine cover is covered with it.

Here is the good news, I will be driving another 8 hours to ON for this Vette Fest, whomever is at the hotel I am staying at can inspect it for themselves, same thing the next morning at the show, back end will be open to display the engine bay.

So far I am very impressed with this part !! Really displays the engine area nicely and allows us HTC owners to also install a color intake cover too !! Consider me your test guinea pig for parts !!
“The clear engine cover was heat tested to 800 degrees,…”

How is that possible? F or C? Actually neither matters.

Polycarbonate has a much lower melting point. So does all other plastic that I am aware of.

So you are saying, even though you omitted it, that it is glass?

“The clear engine cover was heat tested to 800 degrees,…”

How is that possible? F or C? Actually neither matters.

Polycarbonate has a much lower melting point. So does all other plastic that I am aware of.

So you are saying, even though you omitted it, that it is glass?
I searched around quickly to find the testing statement from RapidRev, the manufacturer of the clear polycarbonate panel and could not find that specific statement now, other than the mention below. Know that I waited until a more robust clear engine cover design came to market, and this was the one.

I am not afraid to mod a car, I come from decades of building show cars and always modifying them cosmetically, so what I read about this cover was enough to make me want to try it out. I was probably one of the first in Canada to do so, because when I went to many car shows and meets where dozens of C8 HTC were around, nobody else had a clear engine cover installed.

Even Morgan Crosbie had his doubts when I handed the cover for him to install, and he did make a statement around his concerns for this cover when he did his YouTube video review about my custom build. After driving the car from ON all the way back to QC, I then went back again to ON and drove another 800KMs to attend VetteFest 2 months later and that sealed the deal for him, you can see him touching the cover in the VetteFest YouTube recap, and he not only confirmed it was intact, but finally vouched for it and said it was much better than the GM offering that has a smaller window opening. I went back 1 more time to Ottawa from another big indoor car show.

In total drove 7000KM's in 3 months to shows, and the cover remained perfect.

There are several YouTube videos that measure the temp of the engine bay (externally), between OEM cover and aftermarket clear ones, and the variation is close to none, which I think was between 125-140, I am not sure what the temp was under the cover, but expect it to be well below the tolerance (melting point) of poly.

Also keep in mind, if you ever get around to removing the OEM cover, that the heat shield is very minimal, many people think that the entire underside has a think shield going edge to edge when in reality it is a thin layer of shield in the centre portion only, which explains why the temp measurement diff between OEM and clear panels are very minimal to none.

Post I found online :
Polycarbonate has a tg (glass transition temperature) of 147c or 297f where it starts to soften gradually above it's tg and starts to flow at about 155c or 311f. I saw on another forum where they were claiming the manufacture of these said clear PC covers were rated to 500f.

RapidRev actual engine bay temp testing:

Is your clear cover from Amt or Paragon? The Oem one from GM is tiny and seems expensive at $1500 I believe.. Rick Conti has one from paragon and has no issues..
The one I have is from AMT, who are a reseller of the RapidRev panel who are the ones who make it. I am not sure if the Paragon one is also a RapidRev design. The GM one has a much smaller window opening, showing a lot less of the engine bay, only the intake cover maybe.

The GM version is small indeed.
I use it only to ensure my engine is still in there.
Last I checked, all is well.

Attachments

• engine 1.jpg
    engine 1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
  • engine 2.jpg
    engine 2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Neils
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.