Nov 28, 2016
VetteCoins
I developed a gurgling noise and it seems to be resonating from the driver side and under the dash.
I took it into the shop and as of last Thursdays the mechanics have no clue were or what the sound is. It's not from the dry oil sump nor the cooling system. It's goes back in this Wednesday and hopefully they'll be able to figure it out. Car still runs great, no warning lights, just this annoying noise. Has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem..

Please let me know if dealer finds anything. I experienced the same thing when parking the car in my garage after a long drive home sitting in heavy traffic with the AC and cooling seat running. I thought it was related to the cooling system.

According to the dealership the noise I'm hearing is normal. I was told it's water running through the cooling system. I'll be doing some further checking..

We used to have a 2009 Pontiac that had a morning 'gurgle'!
It was from the heater core at first-fire in the morning.
It would stop within a few minutes of driving.
I suspect it was to do with the control valving in the heater lines, maybe the height of the heater core in relation to the block/rad?
I never did have any related problem other than the 'gurgle' noise the whole 7 years we had the car.

Graham

I didn't notice the noise in the beginning, the Mrs. brought it to my attention. Now its all I hear..lol. If it's a normal noise I'll get use to it. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

I hate to mention this but I had a similar trouble on my VW Passat. Sounded like ball bearings rattling around. Mechanics could not figure it out until the AC was not cooling properly. Ended up changing the rad in the dash. It was almost all blocked up. They had said that the coolant did not need to be changed a year or two prior. Guess they were wrong. Had quite a few miles on it then. New rad got rid of the sound. Maybe check coolant level in case it is low and or water pump is cranking out enough volume.

Thanks for the input Le Baron. I'll certainly keep an eye on that. Hopefully that's not the problem.. My sounds more like water running. It's not very load. You can only hear it while idling and with the windows up. I just don't close my windows now so I can't hear it.. lol

We have had the same in our past with a 1998 Grand Prix. We would not hear anything until we shut her down and then a dash noise that found us doing a charade to explain at the dealership. When it came down to the Service Tech recommending to take the dash apart to "explore" we said we wanted to wait and get more consistent with the noise and where we suspect it was from. So if you have an iPhone recording method, you can maybe grab the noise to playback for the Service Manager (which we did not have the iPhone back then).
What we explained it as was like water drops hitting a hot surface after turning the car off. Other times it was a hissing like air escaping a tire. There were a couple of other explanations of which I would not doubt if we mentioned it as a gurgle.
We did not want our dash taken apart fearing that it would result in other annoying sounds due to loosening and reinstalling of fasteners (i.e. the infamous dash rattle).
So we logged the issue during our warranty time and eventually had nothing done at all as it became so intermittent. My Wife feels it happened the most when it was stinking hot which lead me to believe there was a sweating somewhere in cooling that dripped on something hot and then the sound of that was amplified through the air ducts (which sounded like it was in the dash). So maybe this is something that you are finding during this heat wave ... and something to explore.
I don't want to come across as dismissing your find. I just hope to give you something of encouragement from our past in the event that nothing is found. Our 1998 Grand Prix was fully loaded Supercharged V6 with an upgraded exhaust system and Ram Air Hood from SLP (from the boyz who did the Ram Air Trans Ams at that time). So there were a few things that ran rather hot and we always have the air system running.
Good fortune to you and we love that car of yours and the LBR colour!

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeysZ06
SN-III, I experienced the same issue with the hissing sound under the hood like water dropping and hitting a hot surface. It carried on for about a minute after turning off the car. Seems like the car has a sweaty time in very hot weather. I'm gonna keep an eye on this and have it noted during my next service. BTW-LBR ROCKS!

My 2015 Z51 has the same gurgling noise on occasion if you have the radio and fan down all the way. This is only the coolant flowing thru the system, nothing to be concerned about I believe. Upon shutdown of the car in the garage, there may be AC condensation that drips on the exhaust pipes and causes kind of a sizzling or frying noise, may also see a few drops of water on the floor the next day also, nothing to worry about either. If you find coolant on the ground, that would be a major concern however.

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Thanks for all the input. I haven't had the ac on yet so I'm pretty sure it's not the calprit. Dealer said it's the cooling system and the noise is normal. Turbozig I have to agree with you , its coolant flowing thru the system. I'm on record at the dealership so if something malfunctions they'll have to fix it
Thanks all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.