GM Customer Service for Canada confirmed Mobil 1 after my first exchange with the dealership. So I think the issue is that the Service Advisors have not been properly trained, or perhaps you are correct and the dealership doesn't recover the full cost. Which makes the customer the victim. Either way, not acceptable.

Must be frustrating to try to have this maintenance work done and after all these years it still is a controversy.

As one of those who took this thread off track I do apologize but we do tend to have fun here as you know.:thumbs:

I find it OK with the intent of contempt and form of light humour.
It's like changing the channel for me while waiting for "the program" to get going again.

This "oil renew" program is something this new Corvette Owner takes seriously with my investment as I think of the big picture and not what might appear to others as being a horse-blinder compulsion and advocacy toward Mobil 1. Being around the GM Service thing for many years as a Customer, I have found that what really pays off with a major issue in service (God forbidding it to happen to anyone) is to have all the documentation in order. Showing that you have done your part in following what GM recommends. I don't follow what a Dealership representative tells me as "the rule" when a response doesn't pass my "smell test". Depending on the circumstance, it's a given that the "agenda" of the Dealer just might be different from GM.

My personal experience involved having to resolve a blown turbo charger in/about 1986 just a few months outside of "timed" warranty and about 15,000 Kms under the "performance" warranty. The Dealer stood firm and insisted that we were out of warranty. My wife and I went beyond the Dealer and right to the GM representative tied to the Dealership with our stance that a turbo charger event within a few years of ownership is not a "timed event" but rather a catastrophic failure of a "performance part" that GM does not design in the vehicle to fail so soon. Long story short is that we took all of our Dealer documentation (even unrelated to the turbo failure) from the sale through all the service. We put in on the table with our defence being that we did our part to the letter ... GM ended up respecting our efforts and reconfigured the turbo system to be fluid cooled and no longer by the original design of air flow. Although we were outside of the "timed" warranty period, the Dealer and GM took care of the whole shot and our relationship with the Dealership was able to grow stronger. (side note: the car was bought at Parsons Pontiac and Serviced at Northland Pontiac - sadly both now gone)

Resulting is that I take GM recommendation seriously and this Mobil 1 issue is why I am among the 2 year program participants that just wont let this go. At the same time, I am personally enjoying the side-humour of Forum members (as laughter is the best medicine). I am a dog gnawing on this bone and find the Mobil 1 issue is something that I must obey, should I need to work with GM on any more important matter. Once MY two year GM Oil Renew program expires in Aug '18, it is truly my hope that the intent of this thread has had its constructive resolve.

Cheers to y'all !

Last edited:
I don't know guys, I'll get hate mail for this but having spoken to a few engine builders throughout the years and built several big power blocks (with those builders) every time I ask if I should be using Mobil 1 or Redline or RP or whatever expensive oil you find I get laughed at. The answer is always, use whatever, make sure it's the correct viscosity for the application but literally put whatever and change often if you're racing her.

Sounds like heresy and I'd get banned repeatedly on the BITOG forums if I mention the above but that's the feedback I've heard from some people who build engines for a living.
:bag:

What's your e-mail, Nik? lol.

In my experience, oil is the most critical part of your engine. It doesn't matter how good your parts are, if they aren't lubricated properly they will fail, and fail FAST. My chequebook can confirm that.

Quite simply put (and I know it's cliché), but you get what you pay for. A higher quality oil (still paying attention to the viscosity and application over temperature range) is a LOT cheaper than a rebuild. Consider that when you are choosing your next oil.

Reactions: smackYYZ
Interesting thread all around... and no apologies Murray.... This is neither the first thread regarding C7's and Dexos vs Mobil 1 dealership woes that has morphed somewhat...nor will it likely be the last as we get more new members and Corvette owners... A little sideways motion sometimes keeps a thread interesting.... And with that, here's a link to a Consumers Digest article I stumbled across.... Not to support anyone's stance here... only out of interest...and of course my penchant of not being able to avoid messing with a thread....:D....

Separating Facts from Friction
Motor Oil

Separating Facts from Friction | Best Motor Oil | Consumers Digest | Motor Oil | Consumers Digest

Interesting thread all around... and no apologies Murray.... This is neither the first thread regarding C7's and Dexos vs Mobil 1 dealership woes that has morphed somewhat...nor will it likely be the last as we get more new members and Corvette owners... A little sideways motion sometimes keeps a thread interesting.... And with that, here's a link to a Consumers Digest article I stumbled across.... Not to support anyone's stance here... only out of interest...and of course my penchant of not being able to avoid messing with a thread....:D....

Separating Facts from Friction
Motor Oil

Separating Facts from Friction | Best Motor Oil | Consumers Digest | Motor Oil | Consumers Digest

This is awesome to have the report/study put on this thread for our future reference to new threads Eric.
I know that as soon as my initial 2 year program is done, I will be playing in a different field in regard to this topic and with my wallet.
A valuable part of this thread reveals the actions of a few Servicing Dealers undermining the Manufacturer of the Vehicle that they are tied to.
This is where Factory/Manufacturer Warranty is defined whereas a Dealer Warranty would be rather non-existent.
There is also a lot of small words in the extended warranties for those who buy that too.

Yes they have taken care of me. I did show Jason the service person for Cadillacs the letter and he and the manager made sure I got Mobil one. Service manager is a race car driver and understands the needs of our cars.
I did post the letter on the forum some time ago. Goodluck.

My work orders and sticker have always said Mobil 1. Are you guys saying dealerships are using a generic synthetic oil and recording it as Mobile 1?

No they are not using another synthetic, what they will use is the standard Dexos that they have in their large oil reservoir which is a blend. The confusing part is the oil fill cap says Dexos on it, which is the GM oil standard. Why GM didn't put on Mobil 1 fill caps is beyond me, and that is what starts the confusion. I had one oil change done where they put in the default Dexos, but I caught it when I reviewed my bill. Gateway blamed it on an inexperienced technician doing the change, but I believe the Service Advisor made the mistake. Either way they without question redid the oil change with Mobil 1. Issue has never happened since.

Reactions: ddgermann
Ok good ending to that for you at least. I could almost see the Mobil 1 on the dry sump cap on my 15 Z. Not positive though.
Maybe someone else can confirm that one way or the other.
Cheers. D

I find it OK with the intent of contempt and form of light humour.
It's like changing the channel for me while waiting for "the program" to get going again.

This "oil renew" program is something this new Corvette Owner takes seriously with my investment as I think of the big picture and not what might appear to others as being a horse-blinder compulsion and advocacy toward Mobil 1. Being around the GM Service thing for many years as a Customer, I have found that what really pays off with a major issue in service (God forbidding it to happen to anyone) is to have all the documentation in order. Showing that you have done your part in following what GM recommends. I don't follow what a Dealership representative tells me as "the rule" when a response doesn't pass my "smell test". Depending on the circumstance, it's a given that the "agenda" of the Dealer just might be different from GM.

My personal experience involved having to resolve a blown turbo charger in/about 1986 just a few months outside of "timed" warranty and about 15,000 Kms under the "performance" warranty. The Dealer stood firm and insisted that we were out of warranty. My wife and I went beyond the Dealer and right to the GM representative tied to the Dealership with our stance that a turbo charger event within a few years of ownership is not a "timed event" but rather a catastrophic failure of a "performance part" that GM does not design in the vehicle to fail so soon. Long story short is that we took all of our Dealer documentation (even unrelated to the turbo failure) from the sale through all the service. We put in on the table with our defence being that we did our part to the letter ... GM ended up respecting our efforts and reconfigured the turbo system to be fluid cooled and no longer by the original design of air flow. Although we were outside of the "timed" warranty period, the Dealer and GM took care of the whole shot and our relationship with the Dealership was able to grow stronger. (side note: the car was bought at Parsons Pontiac and Serviced at Northland Pontiac - sadly both now gone)

Resulting is that I take GM recommendation seriously and this Mobil 1 issue is why I am among the 2 year program participants that just wont let this go. At the same time, I am personally enjoying the side-humour of Forum members (as laughter is the best medicine). I am a dog gnawing on this bone and find the Mobil 1 issue is something that I must obey, should I need to work with GM on any more important matter. Once MY two year GM Oil Renew program expires in Aug '18, it is truly my hope that the intent of this thread has had its constructive resolve.

Cheers to y'all !
So it goes without worry that my car will have Mobil 1 in it once it leaves the Northgate Chev lot later this month? Will I have to request it or is it a given that that's what's going on?

Reactions: ddgermann
So it goes without worry that my car will have Mobil 1 in it once it leaves the Northgate Chev lot later this month? Will I have to request it or is it a given that that's what's going on?

I always assume nothing and always confirm:
... a toll free call to ask and assure along with pricing so you are prepared
... you are travelling a fair distance for their service and advice
13215 97th Street, Edmonton, AB T5E 4C7
Service: 1(877) 740-8340

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Ok good ending to that for you at least. I could almost see the Mobil 1 on the dry sump cap on my 15 Z. Not positive though.
Maybe someone else can confirm that one way or the other.
Cheers. D

Turns out I was fantasizing.. Here's the cap on my yet to be cleaned up and detailed 17 Z

IMG_5781.jpg

Reactions: smackYYZ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread