The European Mobil 1 oil is NOT recommended for us in Canada (or the States). This was a question brought up at the NCM Bash last year and that was the answer from the C8 engine engineer. You'll be faced with potential warranty issues if there's an engine problem traced back to the oil and you've got the European version in your motor. As others have said, it's not worth taking the risk.
Again, How could they ever know? It doesn't taste any different! LOL

Again, How could they ever know? It doesn't taste any different! LOL

Why give them an opening for a potential reason to deny a warranty claim? If they suspect an oil problem, they'll likely ask for proof of what you used for oil, such as dealer servicing invoices or receipts for oil purchased by a DIY person. Anyway and as always, up to the individual to decide. I always worry about a vehicle's motor since it's the most expensive component of a vehicle.

Dexos 2 it is for me.

1680880049167.png

Any local places to purchase?
My Amazon order was cancelled and the seller claimed it was back ordered until July... (Maybe they didn't like that I ordered it on sale at$119/case as it's now back up to$149)

Any local places to purchase?
My Amazon order was cancelled and the seller claimed it was back ordered until July... (Maybe they didn't like that I ordered it on sale at$119/case as it's now back up to$149)
I buy mine from the local Esso bulk dealer. Paying less than $13 per quart buying box of 6 quarts.

How does one find the local Esso bulk dealer?
I just drove by, went inside, and asked if they carried Supercar. But I am in a small town. Experience around the big smoke may differ.

Last edited:
In the days when I had a BMW E63 M6, it always annoyed me that I had few places to buy the 10w-60 oil it needed. The dealer wanted $14 a litre. FOURTEEN dollars! And I needed 10 litres.
Ha ha now I have C8 Corvette, surely I can saunter down to Can Tire and get my oil....DOH! Dexos 2! Okay I will get it at the dealer. They gave me a price of $33.40 per quart! Holy Sh.....
Ok looking around the best price I have seen is at Summit Racing at about $17 a bottle. Anyone one else have a good source? I want to do my first oil change myself as I won't likely have 12k km on it this year and I don't want to use up my free DCT filter change too early.
I thought I needed to add a bit of oil so I bought from dealer 1L: $28.00 with all taxes in. Honestly, the last thing I worry about is the cost of oil or oil changes - once a year. I probably will have 8,000 km this October - 2nd year - so last free oil change and I will have to get the free DCT service ($750) or lose it.

We had MB S500 and SLK350 and they took 16L oil yearly, at Canadian Tire price of $65 for 4 L so $260 a year not including filter. However CanTire had a sale periodically half price so I stocked up. Saved a lot over 10 years but both MBs are gone and I had 24L M1 0W40 European left over.

I thought it would be close enough for the C8 (and probably just rebranded as Supercar Dexos) but I did some research and the big difference is in Total Base Number. The European TBN is 12.9 while the M1 0W40 Supercar TBN is 8.5 so a significant difference and I ended up giving the European oil to the person who bought my SLK.

We had MB S500 and SLK350 and they took 16L oil yearly, at Canadian Tire price of $65 for 4 L so $260 a year not including filter. However CanTire had a sale periodically half price so I stocked up. Saved a lot over 10 years but both MBs are gone and I had 24L M1 0W40 European left over.

I thought it would be close enough for the C8 (and probably just rebranded as Supercar Dexos) but I did some research and the big difference is in Total Base Number. The European TBN is 12.9 while the M1 0W40 Supercar TBN is 8.5 so a significant difference and I ended up giving the European oil to the person who bought my SLK.
I'd have used it in my lawnmower.... ;)

In the past, I've had good luck buying from the biggest Mobil Oil distributor in the Edmonton area: Blue Water Group on the West end (11724-180 Street): 780-822-6220 and I dealt with Sydney although that was a while ago. Let us know how you make out if you contact them. Mention you're on a Corvette Forum which could bring her more business; that made her more amenable to price negotiation...and buying a couple cases at a time also helped. Good luck!
Just picked up 5 cases from Blue Water. Sydney was great to deal with. Paid less than 1/2 for the oil through them than I did earlier through my local GM dealer. Same exact identical oil. Talk about getting bent over. My rear end is still tingling from that one .....😂.

GM dealer - appt. - get oil changed - LOL
Once a year ! No idea what it will cost when I have to pay; but, probably $300.00+ ? Not a lot of money considering all the other costs understanding, of course, that some people like doing this stuff themselves and have the set-up to do so easily.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.