Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
New details surrounding Chevrolet's worst-kept secret, the next-generation mid-engine Corvette, should be more than enough to perk up enthusiasts' ears.

The rather detailed information comes from a Car and Driver report, which pegs three engines for the sports car turned supercar. At launch, the C8 Corvette will receive an upgraded version of the current 6.2-liter LT1 V-8 found in the current Corvette Stingray. However, horsepower will allegedly increase from 460 to 500 to make up for some added weight.

Moving right along, we arrive at the juicier details. Chevrolet will reportedly stick a 5.5-liter DOHC flat-plane crank V-8 engine under the hood, and it will produce at least 600 hp. Expect a redline much higher than in past Corvettes. Soon thereafter, C/D reported, the same 5.5-liter V-8 engine will receive two turbos to send horsepower to about 800. We previously were treated to CAD images showing a twin-turbo V-8 engine for the mid-engine Corvette. Now, it seems quite likely we were staring at the 5.5-liter V-8 referenced in the latest report.

Not enough? No problem for Chevrolet and General Motors engineers. Sitting atop the engine hierarchy will be a 1,000 hp all-wheel-drive hybrid setup, according to C/D. The basis of the powertrain will remain the 5.5-liter twin-turbo V-8 engine, but a 200-hp electric motor will power the front wheels, while the internal-combustion engine will send power to the rear. That's where the 1,000 hp figure comes into play.

Despite all of the spectacular engineering work, the report claims Chevrolet will keep the mid-engine Corvette an everyman's sports car with supercar levels of performance. Thus, the C8 Corvette will likely be largely made of aluminum with various components made from magnesium and carbon fiber. Fiberglass will make up most of the body panels and total weight should come in around 3,500 pounds.

That all sounds like great news, but it appears there is bad news for the #giveashift crowd. According to C&D's intelligence, no manual transmission is planned. Instead, a new Tremec 8-speed dual-clutch will be the only transmission.

Before wrapping up the load of enlightening details, C&D also noted that we will likely see more of the car in the spring of 2019.

Courtesy of Motor Authority: Report: mid-engine C8 Corvette to get flat-crank 600- and 800-hp V-8s, 1,000-hp AWD hybrid version, but no manual

That is really neat news.....except for the lack of a manual transmission. ugh. Time to buy a Camaro. Just kidding, but I loved how Chevy was still offering it as an option even though I'm sure most Corvettes sold are automatics.
I would like to know more why they chose the flat plane crank. All the Ford fan boys are going to be roasting Chevy for following Ford....just like the aluminum in trucks, and smaller turbo'd engines, blah blah blah. :D But, anyway, back to the flat plane crank. Ford has to put a giant rubber wheel on the crank just to control the harmonics, so I can't imagine it being a super efficient layout??? However, it sounds awesome and I'm sure they have engineers to figure all that harmonics stuff out and show Ford how to make a real flat plane crank engine. :D

Sounds like an abomination to me. Sure (as an engineer) it sounds neat and is a feat of engineering......but it sure doesn't sound like a corvette anymore. One of my biggest likes for the corvette was how they could cram the HP into a front engine car and keep the hood so low and sleek. I dunno I am sure it will be a fantastic car but seems like maybe it could have been brought in as a new model or something.

T

Sounds like an abomination to me. Sure (as an engineer) it sounds neat and is a feat of engineering......but it sure doesn't sound like a corvette anymore. One of my biggest likes for the corvette was how they could cram the HP into a front engine car and keep the hood so low and sleek. I dunno I am sure it will be a fantastic car but seems like maybe it could have been brought in as a new model or something.T

I suspect there are a lot of people who feel exactly the same way. I certainly do.

Reactions: Bluvette75
Sounds like an abomination to me. Sure (as an engineer) it sounds neat and is a feat of engineering......but it sure doesn't sound like a corvette anymore. One of my biggest likes for the corvette was how they could cram the HP into a front engine car and keep the hood so low and sleek. I dunno I am sure it will be a fantastic car but seems like maybe it could have been brought in as a new model or something.

T

I’m sitting on the fence with this one. While I agree “Corvette” is traditionally a front engine sports car that can be driven and owned for the budget of a working man, times are a changin.
It is hard to imagine GM doing to the Corvette what Ford did with the elusive and hugely priced GT. The huge expansion to the plant seems to point toward a mass production vehicle eventually taking over for the phased out C7 generation... however the possibility exists.
In a perfect world the choice would remain to have a front or mid engine Corvette. But being traditional... why wouldn’t they give the mid engine car a different badge? Because of the word “Corvette”. That’s a huge draw and the most desirable name in North American cars. (IMHO).
Personally I’m looking forward to seeing the C8. The question is.... will any Chevy dealer be able to provide service for the car? Or will it be another AMG type deal where you have to flatbed the thing for anything more that an oil change... I suspect the support will be available at most dealerships. That’s the upside of a mass production vehicle.
Every time I growl at the ZR1 fiasco I went through this year... I think of the upcoming C8 and calm down. 800 HP or the possibility of 1000 is very attractive in a factory sports car I just might be able to afford is hard to scoff at... no matter what it’s called.

In a perfect world the choice would remain to have a front or mid engine Corvette. But being traditional... why wouldn’t they give the mid engine car a different badge? Because of the word “Corvette”. That’s a huge draw and the most desirable name in North American cars. (IMHO).

The name IS a huge draw.. and by doing it this way they might sell some more of the C8s... or it could backfire badly and actually kill the reputation of the name forever. That has certainly happened before. Only time will tell of course.

Reactions: ddgermann
Yes that’s true. Let’s hope the car is still awesome and affordable. It’s kind of clever keeping the C7 around for the first years of the C8. There is also a possibility of a C7.2 rework and upgrade if the sales warrant it.
I’m a bit sad about the alleged no manual gearbox being offered in the C8 but the auto is likely more appropriate in this type of car anyway.
GM seems to have the bases covered for whatever might happen with this mid engine roll out.

It was disappointing the ZR1 didn't have it. Something about the chassis and space for mounting it compared to what they have currently was what I read. I know a guy who has a 2014 458 and that is what is in it. Rode with him once and man it is a sweet tranny setup. Lightning fast shifts using paddles but yet a true (dual) clutch manual tranny. Just no clutch pedal anymore and NO torque converter. That is the way of the future for sure.

Dual Clutch Tranny

It was disappointing the ZR1 didn't have it. Something about the chassis and space for mounting it compared to what they have currently was what I read. I know a guy who has a 2014 458 and that is what is in it. Rode with him once and man it is a sweet tranny setup. Lightning fast shifts using paddles but yet a true (dual) clutch manual tranny. Just no clutch pedal anymore and NO torque converter. That is the way of the future for sure.

Dual Clutch Tranny

Very cool information. Thanks. Imagine the clutch to handle 1000 HP in a full manual anyway. Think of the 3rd gear burnouts.... be a pretty quick burn if not handled just right.

I think all Corvette Fans will be happy with the different models of C8 Mid-Engine Super Cars. Double clutch paddle shifting is long over do. Personally this car is going to be looking a lot like the Farrari 488 and that’s ok with me. Also the prices I have heard for the multiple versions is also sounding ok but I guess we will have to wait to see? But still this car is long over do and I can’t wait to own one!

New details surrounding Chevrolet's worst-kept secret, the next-generation mid-engine Corvette, should be more than enough to perk up enthusiasts' ears.

The rather detailed information comes from a Car and Driver report, which pegs three engines for the sports car turned supercar. At launch, the C8 Corvette will receive an upgraded version of the current 6.2-liter LT1 V-8 found in the current Corvette Stingray. However, horsepower will allegedly increase from 460 to 500 to make up for some added weight.

Moving right along, we arrive at the juicier details. Chevrolet will reportedly stick a 5.5-liter DOHC flat-plane crank V-8 engine under the hood, and it will produce at least 600 hp. Expect a redline much higher than in past Corvettes. Soon thereafter, C/D reported, the same 5.5-liter V-8 engine will receive two turbos to send horsepower to about 800. We previously were treated to CAD images showing a twin-turbo V-8 engine for the mid-engine Corvette. Now, it seems quite likely we were staring at the 5.5-liter V-8 referenced in the latest report.

Not enough? No problem for Chevrolet and General Motors engineers. Sitting atop the engine hierarchy will be a 1,000 hp all-wheel-drive hybrid setup, according to C/D. The basis of the powertrain will remain the 5.5-liter twin-turbo V-8 engine, but a 200-hp electric motor will power the front wheels, while the internal-combustion engine will send power to the rear. That's where the 1,000 hp figure comes into play.

Despite all of the spectacular engineering work, the report claims Chevrolet will keep the mid-engine Corvette an everyman's sports car with supercar levels of performance. Thus, the C8 Corvette will likely be largely made of aluminum with various components made from magnesium and carbon fiber. Fiberglass will make up most of the body panels and total weight should come in around 3,500 pounds.

That all sounds like great news, but it appears there is bad news for the #giveashift crowd. According to C&D's intelligence, no manual transmission is planned. Instead, a new Tremec 8-speed dual-clutch will be the only transmission.

Before wrapping up the load of enlightening details, C&D also noted that we will likely see more of the car in the spring of 2019.

Courtesy of Motor Authority: Report: mid-engine C8 Corvette to get flat-crank 600- and 800-hp V-8s, 1,000-hp AWD hybrid version, but no manual
Awesome review - thank you very much. No mention of a vert. I wonder when they will be available for ordering and whether one can get the 5.5 L DOHC right away or just the 6.2L?? I love the looks and would certainly consider ordering one myself.

Reactions: turbozig
It will be very interesting to see the actual engine and transmission options. After the long wait for a mid engine Zora, I have faith that the Corvette engineers will design a winner. It may not be for all the Corvette purists, but technologies are expanding rapidly and will be cool to see it for real.

Reactions: Riley P
That is really neat news.....except for the lack of a manual transmission. ugh. Time to buy a Camaro. Just kidding, but I loved how Chevy was still offering it as an option even though I'm sure most Corvettes sold are automatics.
I would like to know more why they chose the flat plane crank. All the Ford fan boys are going to be roasting Chevy for following Ford....just like the aluminum in trucks, and smaller turbo'd engines, blah blah blah. :D But, anyway, back to the flat plane crank. Ford has to put a giant rubber wheel on the crank just to control the harmonics, so I can't imagine it being a super efficient layout??? However, it sounds awesome and I'm sure they have engineers to figure all that harmonics stuff out and show Ford how to make a real flat plane crank engine. :D
Doesn't Ferrari use the same type of engine- flat plank? I am probably wrong - LOL.

is it really an auto tranny though? or is it a dual clutch standard tranny auto shifted like the other super cars using F1 technology? big difference

Pretty sure it will be a dual-clutch paddle shifting transmission. I highly doubt they'd put a full auto in there. I think they're just dropping the clutch and stick shift.

• Agree

Bring it on.. can't wait to see one - hopefully as vert?

Reactions: turbozig
What will the replacement interval be on the dual clutch? Everyone goes on and on regarding its superiority to the current A8 but ask any Ferrari or Lambo owner how it feels after 20K km (or less!!!) that they have to replace the clutch....lol. Or, that using reverse diminishes it's lifespan, or you need to put the car in neutral at stop lights to reduce wear, or that you should short shift to second gear to reduce wear....on and on..... Yes, I agree that a dual clutch system may provide an enhanced driving experience, but at what cost? I kinda like knowing i can do whatever i want with my A8 and never even think about wear and replacement. And, as a Gen V Viper GTS owner, don't even get me started about finding authorized dealerships with properly trained techs to work on the car....nightmare.

• Informative
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread