This is now becoming a very interesting topic. I know very little actually nothing about the dual clutch design and have never driven a car with this set up.
As a perspective C8 buyer it’s becoming clear that more knowledge will be critical.
Can I assume changing out the clutch requires splitting the drive line or will it simply unbolt and drop out?
One of the fundamental greats about driving a Corvette is the more routine type maintenance required on the car, thus it can be enjoyed as a daily driver if one wants.
Is this about to change for us with the single option of dual clutch transmissions?
Who here has this experience and understands these systems?

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
Sounds like an abomination to me. Sure (as an engineer) it sounds neat and is a feat of engineering......but it sure doesn't sound like a corvette anymore. One of my biggest likes for the corvette was how they could cram the HP into a front engine car and keep the hood so low and sleek. I dunno I am sure it will be a fantastic car but seems like maybe it could have been brought in as a new model or something.

T
They want to expand ownership to a broader group in a different market which the new C8 will fit nicely: younger group of car enthusiasts that want a mid-engine super car that can compete with the more expensive cars. My son (mechanical engineer UBC) gets it and thinks the C8 will be a winner after having read all the details. Time will tell? I myself will definitely look at the C8. The limiting factor is my age: I don't drive my 2016 C7 vert that much even though I use it every day in the summer to go to the SC or tennis club - so, not a lot of miles on it now.

Good points Flyboy. I am hoping that as GM is a mass market company, they can make a DCT that can work for the mass market crowd. I still really wish I could row my own gears in a C8, however, I'm in no market to buy one, so it doesn't actually affect me one way or another. It's just the thought that if I could own one in the future, it would be nice to be a stick.
I've only driven one car, a friends Golf, with a DCT. It was definitely a different feel on low speed driving. I noticed it hated slow maneuvers as it awkwardly had to slip the clutch. I found you couldn't drag the brakes to go really slow, such as when traffic is crawling or trying to slowly creep up to a car in a parking lot. It would switch between neutral and clutch engagement making a constant slow speed tough to maintain. Other than that, it was pretty much an automatic.

Reactions: flyboy999
There are several examples of fantastic, robust and mass produced dual clutch transmissions...Audi S3, RS3, TTRS, BMW M2, M3, M4, M5, M6 etc etc

When dual clutch was in it's early days i.e. Ferrari F430's etc, it had issues... For instance, if you used launch control more than 3 times you would require a clutch replacement...Since then, the technology and testing has come a long way... The new Dual clutch transmissions are only approved after some very serious testing (think capability of handling 100+ launch controls in a day)...

@flyboy999 I think most of what you mentioned is true for early single clutch (2004-2010 Gallardo's) and very early dual clutch transmissions (2005-2007 F430's)...The current crop of dual clutch transmissions are fairly robust

Yep, you're right, I'm referring to the cars that cost less than $300K........... Currently the F430's (2005-2007) etc. are selling for a little more than you can buy a brand new Z06.........usually about $150K.........the same goes for good Gallardos in about the 2007-8 vintage.........That's why I said, "At what cost?" I can't afford a $300K 458 etc. so my point is that it costs about $180K more than an A8 equipped Z06 Vette to get an equivalently reliable transmission in a Ferrari......... is it worth it?

Similarly, the ZR1's in Canada are selling for over $200K........ I think it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the new C8 will be sold for less (even in "base model" form). In fact, my guess (and yes it's just an educated guess), is that the upscale C8 (comparable to the Z06/ZR1) will sell for $20K-30K more than the current ZR1....at least. So, we are talking somewhere in the $250K+ range, if you can even get your hands on one. The point being, you can have a bulletproof A8 or spend about $120K more for the new C8 with a dual clutch type transmission. My Z06 is currently worth probably about $95-100K on trade, so I figure I'm going to have to come up with about $150K+ for the upscale C8.....hmmmm.........I am loving the shots of the C8.R but my common sense and banker are telling me I'm A8 bound for a while.......LOL.

Last edited:
There are several examples of fantastic, robust and mass produced dual clutch transmissions...Audi S3, RS3, TTRS, BMW M2, M3, M4, M5, M6 etc etc

When dual clutch was in it's early days i.e. Ferrari F430's etc, it had issues... For instance, if you used launch control more than 3 times you would require a clutch replacement...Since then, the technology and testing has come a long way... The new Dual clutch transmissions are only approved after some very serious testing (think capability of handling 100+ launch controls in a day)...

I agree, BUT, every one of the vehicles you mentioned has about as much power as my modded STi or less. (400hp/380tq) We are talking about a transmission and driveline that needs to handle more than 700hp/700 lb./ft. of torque, not to mention the fact that it has to fit in a mid-engined car. Do any of those cars fit the bill? No. Neither do their transmissions. Now you are talking big $$$$$$$$$$$........ Like I said, "at what cost?"

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread