Have you tried Costco: they carry Michelin tires and both my wife and I put new replacements on our SUVs -way cheaper than anyone else. I believe they have, or can get, HP tires as well.
I haven’t checked them JCWP. I think I’ll either go with another set of PS2s or the Nitto Invo’s to be honest. If I go PS2 (pending availability) I’ll go with the non ZP. Only reason I check out Kal-tire is the 10% discount my job provides. Mind you,it’s not always the best deal. I’ve got my G/F checking some Pilots when she goes back to Montana as well.

Reactions: ddgermann
I haven’t checked them JCWP. I think I’ll either go with another set of PS2s or the Nitto Invo’s to be honest. If I go PS2 (pending availability) I’ll go with the non ZP. Only reason I check out Kal-tire is the 10% discount my job provides. Mind you,it’s not always the best deal. I’ve got my G/F checking some Pilots when she goes back to Montana as well.

Get some tires shipped to her from tirerack.com ..... check that too for pricing.

B

Reactions: MikeysZ06
I suppose I can't criticize for cherry picking the quote since I did the same, but it clearly states that the tires just need to be warmed up gradually before use. It's completely unreasonable to sell tires for a street car that are actually damaged by being in cold weather.
Why take a chance as they also state that "Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced".... oops... guess I cherry picked again.... :Banghead:

You don't need a heated garage, you just shouldn't use them when they're cold.

For most sticky tires it's recommended to keep them warm all the time, but unless you're competing with them, you'll never notice the loss of grip, IMO.

Why take a chance as they also state that "Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced".... oops... guess I cherry picked again.... :Banghead:

We are drifting off Mikes topic a bit here; although it’s relevant for the tires he chooses as I’m not sure his garage is heated either.

For the record I have an almost new spare set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports sitting in the garage with cracks. They were on my 13 Z06 that sat in the cold garage over the winter although I didn’t own the car that winter. (Came with the car when I bought it)

My 15 Z06 came out of the cold garage in the spring last year with some small cracks on the tires. Again not sure if they were there before I put it to bed.
The nerve wracking test is now underway as my new Z06 is sitting on new Sports in an unheated garage.
Fortunately my brand new Sport Cup 2s that came on the car are in heated storage.

I’ll let you two know what I find this spring on the tires. I very well might be finding heated storage for my wheels this year... or not.

Mike this is really something to consider if your garage is cold and you don’t feel like putting the car on blocks and putting your wheels in the house. Although 335s would be nice end tables. (Michelle would never go for it other wise I...) :Biggrin:

Point noted Derek but If it were my topic I would welcome the marginal stray from price, to serviceability and warranty advice for the subject tire. Especially as it is the tire retailer's printed advisement as opposed to opinion. I'm not that familiar with the Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) tires but the Pilot Super Sport (PSS) tires that came stock on my C7 don't have the cold weather storage warnings of the PS 4 or the Cup 2 tires. And now, since Mike appears to be migrating away from the PS4 tires anyway, I will move along as well.
:worship:

Lol Eric.

I didn’t know there were no warnings issued on the Super Sports. One thing I do know is they crack.

Ziggy is running a Continental tire and loves them so may be a better way to go for Mike as well. He is our top cruiser / tourism video producer and not doing track stuff anyway.

:thumbs:

Reactions: MikeysZ06
We are drifting off Mikes topic a bit here; although it’s relevant for the tires he chooses as I’m not sure his garage is heated.

Mike this is really something to consider if your garage is cold and you don’t feel like putting the car on blocks and putting your wheels in the house. Although 335s would be nice end tables. (Michelle would never go for it other wise I...) :Biggrin:

Nope,my garage is outside air temp. My car sat on the concrete last winter and I never noticed anything out of the ordinary,aside from losing some pressure.

Looking at my rear tires this morning,they look to have quite a bit of life left in em. My fronts,allegedly are cupping and that’s why I’m looking at new for this coming summer. Kal-tire offers a warm storage for customers as well for a minimal price. If anything though,I might keep these pilots and put em back on for next winter and bring the rubber I buy this year into the house and leave em in the spare bedroom.

Point noted Derek but If it were my topic I would welcome the marginal stray from price, to serviceability and warranty advice for the subject tire. Especially as it is the tire retailer's printed advisement as opposed to opinion. I'm not that familiar with the Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) tires but the Pilot Super Sport (PSS) tires that came stock on my C7 don't have the cold weather storage warnings of the PS 4 or the Cup 2 tires. And now, since Mike appears to be migrating away from the PS4 tires anyway, I will move along as well.
:worship:
We’re all good here. It’s all about rubber and more rubber. And,nobody ever strays off topic here !!

I’m going to be needing new tires later this year.
Michelin PS2s again as I like them.
After some looking around i’m considering Costco. I stopped and chatted with them a month ago and got a verbal quote. I wish to check their tire handling before I make the decision. My thought is they probably do more tires than a small/medium tire shop and are very competitive price-wise.
A side note..I NEVER take my car to these places...... I will take in the wheels/Tires in a trailer to swapped-out.
Bring them back home and put them on myself.
I also have the original factory rims/Tires to put on the car for winter storage.

Graham

Need a heated garage for these tires though. Michelin warns that they will crack under -7 degrees if they are looked at sideways.

The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

I have the original cup 2 tires that came on the zr1. No cracking at all and it’s only been in a heated garage the last 2 winters.

Have you considered toyos?

Just checked Costco's site here in Saskachicken. The prices were a bit higher than what Kal Tire quoted Mike and they didn't have the P4S in the front size.
I do find it amazing that tires crack and split just sitting without moving, but I guess they would be under stress still sitting on the car. Who knows what compounds Michelin has in their tires. I am hoping they don't crack as I have a set sitting on my car in -27C temperatures as we speak and the last half of this winter (As everyone knows except for you coastal folks :p) has been freaking cold. I never worried about it before, but I usually had normal 'high performance tires' on my car, not these overly sensitive sissys tires that crack under pressure. :D

Oh, and similar to Graham, the last time I had my tires swapped, I did the same with just taking the tires and rims into Costco. I did ask, just to check, if they had experience with Corvettes, and they said they don't do Corvettes as they are too low for their lifts, which as nice to hear a shop admit their limitation instead of just pushing forward and 'making things work".

I have the original cup 2 tires that came on the zr1. No cracking at all and it’s only been in a heated garage the last 2 winters.

Have you considered toyos?

Your average climate might have something to do with that 11ZR1. And if your car was in an unheated garage,it would still stay 5 degrees warmer than outside. Or maybe you just lucked out as we have lots of members who have had cracked tire problems. I would give my left.... errrr... toe... yeah, toe.... for an average temperature graph like yours.... lol....

Average temperature per month
temperatur.eng.png

Reactions: ddgermann and 11zr1
Just checked Costco's site here in Saskachicken. The prices were a bit higher than what Kal Tire quoted Mike and they didn't have the P4S in the front size.
I do find it amazing that tires crack and split just sitting without moving, but I guess they would be under stress still sitting on the car. Who knows what compounds Michelin has in their tires. I am hoping they don't crack as I have a set sitting on my car in -27C temperatures as we speak and the last half of this winter (As everyone knows except for you coastal folks :p) has been freaking cold. I never worried about it before, but I usually had normal 'high performance tires' on my car, not these overly sensitive sissys tires that crack under pressure. :D

Oh, and similar to Graham, the last time I had my tires swapped, I did the same with just taking the tires and rims into Costco. I did ask, just to check, if they had experience with Corvettes, and they said they don't do Corvettes as they are too low for their lifts, which as nice to hear a shop admit their limitation instead of just pushing forward and 'making things work".

I know the feeling Riley. However these PSS have not cracked any further than they were after 1.7 winters on the bench. So you should be ok.
This is in the frozen hell of Edmonton. I had them in the warm garage but Michelle evicted them to the unheated garage before the first winter. Ya.... I know but some wars are just not worth the effort. :Biggrin:

8E16F291-859E-487A-81EC-F31438C7641A.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.