Sep 19, 2017
Ayr Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2010 Coupe M6 Blade
Hi...I currently have a M6. I am planning my next vette purchase. Could anyone with manual and automatic experience give me your opinion on performance street driving one versus the other. My only experience is with paddleshifts on a Ford Edge which are useless. I think that lack of exhaust sound take away from the experience so I end up just putting it back in automatic. Is there particular driving style necessary with the paddle shifters on a vette i.e. gear selection while cornering before you turn the wheel etc.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Kevin

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I have a z51 M7. I love the manual, but if I had to get another C7, I would gravitate towards an automatic, just for the ease of driving. You can use the paddle shifters when the urge hits you. Either way, awesome car, enjoy.

Hi Kevin,

I am on my 3rd Z06. The first one was a 13Z with the M6. 2nd and 3rd Zs have the M7. I chose a manual simply because it's what I want. I drove an 18 Stingray for a week with the A8 and fully admit the in town driving was terrific. However the paddles felt kind of useless in town as it seemed to be a lot of work. I know that must seem weird to read but they were a PITA unless I was really getting into it. With the manual I drive in 2nd and 3rd pretty much everywhere in the city. For me with the M7 in the city its actually is less shifting with gobs of power available than the A8 on paddles.
In heavy city traffic you can't beat the A8 in full auto. It's a very smooth transmission and responds quick.
On the highway it think they would both be great and see no real performance advantage in either. On the track.... no idea. Haven't tried (yet). I would think any Corvette would be fun as hell on a track. I will confirm that at the end of March.
I know most C7s are being built and sold with the A8 and the numbers are climbing. I suggest you drive them both before you buy as the C7 M7 and A8 are unique transmissions to any other generation of Corvette.

So apples to apples..... what is your favorite... red delicious or macintosh?

Not a bad problem to have Kevin... Not bad at all. :Biggrin:

Derek

My 91 year old grandmother just bought a C7. It's an automatic. ....

Sorry.... that was mean.... There's nothing wrong with the A8 and it is a faster shifting tranny than the M7. You buy what you're gonna be happy with Kevin, no matter what we say... :D

Needless to say I will buy what appeals to me..right now that is a Manual. I guess I was wanting to hear people’s experience's with a paddle shift. It sounds as if it may be more work than benefit. The right question might be how many people with autos use the paddle shift option and how often.

Thanks for all your replies.

Cheers
Kevin

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I bought the 15' Z51 M7. No regrets here. Always a blast banging through the gears, and with active rev match and dual mode exhaust, it's an experience that never fails to put a smile ear to ear every outing. I do have to mention that 98% of all miles I drive with my Vette are highway. If I drove it mostly in the city I could see the A8 to be more practical. I don't believe either choice is a bad one, depends on your preference and where you live and drive mostly. JMHO

I bought the 15' Z51 M7. No regrets here. Always a blast banging through the gears, and with active rev match and dual mode exhaust, it's an experience that never fails to put a smile ear to ear every outing. I do have to mention that 98% of all miles I drive with my Vette are highway. If I drove it mostly in the city I could see the A8 to be more practical. I don't believe either choice is a bad one, depends on your preference and where you live and drive mostly. JMHO

I only drive my vette on Saturday....but being retired means everyday is Saturday! I drive for fun not traffic. So manual I stay.

Cheers

Well, I have to fess up that I have pretty much been a manual guy, but, My 17' G.S. has the A8. It just made more sense to me for the auto when driving around in Vancouver traffic - Using the paddle shifters with the exhaust in sport mode can still be pretty fun.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
The majority of the milage on my car is highway, a traffic jam where I live is a school bus stopping every couple of miles. That said I have been stuck in traffic for hours on end with it and find the clutch surprisingly light. My last car used for business was a Nissan Maxima with a manual. Brute for punishment I guess.

Our traffic is typical to yours as well Murray. The few times I drive in Edmonton or Calgary, I have been lucky I guess for the most part. I have been in a few traffic fiascoes and really still don't have problems with the clutch. I don't sit with my car or my truck (it's a standard as well) in gear with the clutch depressed though. I pop it into neutral and wait until there's a reason to move ahead instead of the way some people bumper chase the car in front every time it moves 2 feet.... Most drivers are kewl with that as they all seem to wave at me.... Ever notice how many people nowadays have lost three fingers off their right hand? Must be a lot of machinery accidents in the big cities...:rolleyes:

Needless to say I will buy what appeals to me..right now that is a Manual. I guess I was wanting to hear people’s experience's with a paddle shift. It sounds as if it may be more work than benefit. The right question might be how many people with autos use the paddle shift option and how often.

Cheers
Kevin

Kevin, to answer your question, 3 of my 4 cars are automatics with paddle shifters. I would say that I drive in sport mode using the paddles prob abt 35% - 40% of the time.

Reactions: ddgermann
I would have went a manual for anything under the Z06 but, well I guess there is a reason that such a high volume of Z06 sales are A8. That would be my Auto shifter in that pik...

121A6560.jpg

Cheers
Kevin
Auto lover all the way here Kevin -- just turned 70 so not exactly a youngun' any more lol -- but had many of each over my 'tenure' ....... ( btw snow on the roof but still lots of fire in the furnace LOL) ......

Have auto and paddles in my vette , my Mkz and my Escape and love the versatility and performance in all three --- and as has been suggested: the latest autos are slightly quicker than manuals so nothing lost in performance .......not that that is of a lot of concern. If you love manuals then there's nothing like them. I just prefer shifting without a clutch now than with and have just as much fun doing so.

As to how often I use manual mode -- I would say quite often even in the escape which also adjusts throttle response and shift quality quite noticeably -- love that too.

Not sure about your Edge -- if an older one then prob not same as newer programming and not so much fun. I can tell u the '17 Escape I have is awesome -- with the auto and 2.0 twin turbo 4 making 245hp/275tq. not too bad for an suv 4 banger .......

Like wise with newer auto such one in C7's -- I'd have one of those in a heartbeat -- they are reported to be excellent and as suggested quicker than the manuals and even has one more gear lol ........ but that's me ....... it's what i like -- as suggested it's what you want that's important -- you're driving and u have to live it ....
but take my word for it: there's much to love in an auto these days .......as well as the manual trannys.

GL with your choice -- in my humble opinion there is lots of fun whichever way u go.

Colin.

PS....Riley when u read this: you're not alone in having Fords along with chevs in the family -- love and am proud of all my cars. Roll on brother..........

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I have had a new model Escape 2.0 Ecoboost (fast little car)with the paddle shifters. The Edge is a 2016...paddle shifts have done nothing for me but waste my time on either one. I was hoping the vette would be different, but the more I think about it, for a toy I should stick with the manual. Plus what would I do with my driving shoes and gloves ? lol

Cheers

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread