Good morning MADDOX,

I'm just uploading the video now, silly satelite sometimes takes a long time. I sure miss ADSL.

OK, I'll bite. Why use 100% over 50% methanol? Does it adjust itself if you go from 50% one day to 100% the next or will it be tuned with one type and I should stick with that? What happens if you run out under boost?

Using windshield washer fluid???? Wow I newver even considered that. Is this common for methanol injection systems??

Manny mentioned using the windshield washer fluid tank or I could get a second one. Would you still use the windshield washer fluid reservoir if you were to do this all over again?

Now to watch the video...............pretty cool! Is that a shift light under it? Digital tach? I told my son I was getting that and he was pretty excited! He said don't get a large SC as the weight will slow the car down but it is OK to get a medium sized one! And the ceramic coated header so the exhaust doesn't catch on fire. He is so much fun at this age!

Windshield washer fluid, I suppose it makes sense but I'm still kind of shaking my head over it........

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning MADDOX,

I'm just uploading the video now, silly satelite sometimes takes a long time. I sure miss ADSL. The video is better in full screen

OK, I'll bite. Why use 100% over 50% methanol? It's safer Does it adjust itself if you go from 50% one day to 100% No it doesn't adjust the next or will it be tuned with one type Yes and I should stick with that? Yes My car was tuned with fuel and 50/50 meth but then changed to 100 % just to be on the safer side What happens if you run out under boost? The Alky Sys will take timing out if that happens thats another reason I use the washer tank when the tank get low the light comes on
Using windshield washer fluid???? Wow I never even considered that. Is this common for methanol injection systems?? Very common

Manny mentioned using the windshield washer fluid tank or I could get a second one. Would you still use the windshield washer fluid reservoir if you were to do this all over again? Yes very clean look and looks stock

Now to watch the video...............pretty cool! Is that a shift light under it? Digital tach? Boost gauge and Wideband air/fuel gauge I told my son I was getting that and he was pretty excited! He said don't get a large SC as the weight will slow the car down but it is OK to get a medium sized one! And the ceramic coated header so the exhaust doesn't catch on fire. He is so much fun at this age!

Windshield washer fluid, I suppose it makes sense but I'm still kind of shaking my head over it........ :eek:lol do the test poor some on the floor and light it (nice slow burn)be careful it's a whit flame hard to see :nono:

Cheers,

Garry

Im sure Manny can put more light on this :D

Good evening MADDOX,

How do you keep the 100% meth from boiling at 150 degrees F? I know some people keep the system in the drunk area for this reason but if we're going to be using the reservoir in the engine compartment how do you keep it cool? I thought that these pumps would not be able to handle a boiling liquid???

I had thought that having the fill reservoir light soming on was a good reason to use the fluid reservoir!!

Odd, I never knew windshield washer fluid was so flamable! Poison I knew but no that it would burn. I'll have to pour some on a piece of wood and watch this.

So what constitutes a "It just might be STOCK" for a 2005 Z51??!! It sure is a fine sounding car...............

Cheers,

Garry

Good evening MADDOX,

How do you keep the 100% meth from boiling at 150 degrees F? I know some people keep the system in the dark area for this reason but if we're going to be using the reservoir in the engine compartment how do you keep it cool? I thought that these pumps would not be able to handle a boiling liquid??? Only the neck of the tank is acutely in the Eng bay .The tank sites on the outside of the frame and the pump gets installed just under the tank

I had thought that having the fill reservoir light soming on was a good reason to use the fluid reservoir!! If you use regular wash fluid you can still use your whipper and window washer like normal

Odd, I never knew windshield washer fluid was so flammable! Poison I knew but no that it would burn. I'll have to pour some on a piece of wood and watch this.

So what constitutes a "It just might be STOCK" for a 2005 Z51??!! It sure is a fine sounding car............... Thanks :D

Cheers,

Garry

This should be a fun build

Good morning MADDOX,

I guess that would mean that I never filled the fluid reserviour this summer! But then again after June 8th it never rained again either!

Now that is something that is attractive, being able to use the same reservoir for the windows and for cooling the intake air.

Since you're doing such a great job of answering questions, why would people use something other than windshild washer fluid, assuming they are going to be going with a 50/50 mix? Or if people do not use 100% methanol does everyone uyse windshield washer fluid and I'm just in the daisies about this whole business?

What is the function of the wideband A/F gauge?

Playing your cards close to your chest??!!

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning MADDOX,

I guess that would mean that I never filled the fluid reserviour this summer! But then again after June 8th it never rained again either!

Now that is something that is attractive, being able to use the same reservoir for the windows and for cooling the intake air.

Since you're doing such a great job of answering questions, why would people use something other than windshild washer fluid, assuming they are going to be going with a 50/50 mix? Or if people do not use 100% methanol does everyone uyse windshield washer fluid and I'm just in the daisies about this whole business? Not sure how to put it into words but here it goes.
50/50 mix washer fluid is like running half pump gas and half race fuel
this = less boost which = less timing which = less HP
100% meth = more timing = more boost = more hp
:rofl:

What is the function of the wideband A/F gauge? It tells you if the air fuel mixture is right or lean
Playing your cards close to your chest??!! Yes lol never show your full hand :nono:

Cheers,

Garry

I'm no expert here so you might want to do some research on this

Good morning MADDOX,

I'm surprised that some claim that the difference between 50/50 and 100% is 3% hp. Doesn't sound like much but for a say 700 hp engine that would be 21 hp. Considering that the Pfadt header will probably result in 40 hp this is an interesting conundrum. Not often that using a different liquid and tune will result in that kind of a gain.

I guess I need to think about which way to go. Manny I'm sure will have an opinion and I think I'll throw up another thread to see if any others want to share their experiences...........

Cheers,

Garry

From the little bit of reading I've been doing:

According to Snow Performance:

While all components of Snow Performance systems are designed to be able to handle pure methanol, it is not recommended for a number of reasons.

• Safety: Pure methanol is easy to ignite witha low 140F degree flash-point and burns with an invisible flame.
• Performance: Water absorbs almost twice as much heat as methanol in the intake and inside the combustion chamber. Water cannot be flash-ignited, so has what is almost an infinite octane number. In the government studies for WWII piston-powered aircraft, 50/50 water-methanol was found to be the best fluid to use for auxiliary fluid injection.

If you're comfortable with 100% meth, Cool! If not, Cool!

Ok guys , way over thinking this .......................:rofl:

I have Alky system's on all our cars , and most run in the summer only , and boiling has never occured , even with our hot summers here .
Julio , who developed this system in Mami Florida has never had this issue either ., and we know who hot it gets down there .

Some of my clients do long hauls with their supercharged and meth injected system's, and have had zero issues. These guys are driving up to 6 hours at a time .

All the cars that we we do run 100% meth in the washer tanks . If anything I would use a second tank for the washer fluid if you were really concerened about being able to wash the windows .

As for the the meth running out . We move the IAT sensor behind the the Tb and in the intake , so that if you do run out , it will be seen right away on the sensor and timing will be cut back right away.

Ok carry on :D

Last edited:
Manny its our job to overthink this and your job to bring us back in line again! Besides think how much fun we have thinking about this and learning and sharing and swaping and posting. Thus is the value of this forum, to have the best time possible enjoying our Corvettes and getting the most of the experience modded or not..........

Cheers,

Garry

Manny its our job to overthink this and your job to bring us back in line again! Besides think how much fun we have thinking about this and learning and sharing and swaping and posting. Thus is the value of this forum, to have the best time possible enjoying our Corvettes and getting the most of the experience modded or not..........

Cheers,

Garry

Thats for sure Garry , I don't mind all the questiions at all :D

I'll be honest, if I would have been sitting on the fence on way or the other MADDOX's video would have had me out picking bottles to get one of these installed! Flashing lights are always an appeal!

What about MADDOX's AF meter reading? I know it varies under boost but after teh car had been done and tuned what would be the advantage of knowing this? I'm assuming once everything is set it is not easy to adjust without re-tuning it. Is it more just for information's sake???

Cheers,

Garry

I'll be honest, if I would have been sitting on the fence on way or the other MADDOX's video would have had me out picking bottles to get one of these installed! Flashing lights are always an appeal!

What about MADDOX's AF meter reading? I know it varies under boost but after teh car had been done and tuned what would be the advantage of knowing this? I'm assuming once everything is set it is not easy to adjust without re-tuning it. Is it more just for information's sake???

Cheers,

Garry

At the speed you are going to be going , the last thing you need is to take your eyes off the road to watch a little gauge . Its just eye candi , and not needed at all . You try and watch a 2" gauge at speeds of 200kms , good luck . Looks neat Garry ,l but thats about it .

Once the car leaves my hands there is nothing to adjust , just point and mash the throttle .

All our cars are tuned and set up when they leave , noting to adjust .

Oh be assured, there will be throttle-maashing aplenty! Colins mule will never be the same after this!

If there is no point in seeing the data while the car is in motion then probably not an issue.

MADDOX had a second display mounted showing when the car was actually injecting the methanol.

Again, is there value outside of eye candy?

What about a boost gauge?

Is there ever any maintenance to be performed with a SC??

Cheers,

Garry

Oh be assured, there will be throttle-maashing aplenty! Colins mule will never be the same after this!

If there is no point in seeing the data while the car is in motion then probably not an issue.

MADDOX had a second display mounted showing when the car was actually injecting the methanol.

Again, is there value outside of eye candy?

What about a boost gauge?

Is there ever any maintenance to be performed with a SC??

Cheers,

Garry

Boost gauge falls in the same area , just eye candi , and someting your not going to see at speed .

Your head unit is a V3 , which means its a self contanined oiling system . It will need to have an oil change every 2500 miles . There is a light that shows when you are spraying , but it can be seen out of the corner of your eye , allowing you to stay focused on the road .

Last edited:
Good evening Manny,

Just watching the extras in Wall-E and UP, if you haven't done so dig the movies out, Burn-E and Dugs Special Day are really funny.

Well, let the questions continue!

Do I have to check the oil in the SC like in the engine?

What type of oil does it take? Same as the engine?

Is there a filter to change as well?

Wow this car will be a real sleeper without a brace of gauges adoring the A-pillar.

Cheers,

Garry

Good evening Manny,

Just watching the extras in Wall-E and UP, if you haven't done so dig the movies out, Burn-E and Dugs Special Day are really funny.

Well, let the questions continue!

Do I have to check the oil in the SC like in the engine?

What type of oil does it take? Same as the engine?

Is there a filter to change as well?

Wow this car will be a real sleeper without a brace of gauges adoring the A-pillar.

Cheers,

Garry

No filter to change , and yes there is a dip stick on the head unit .
The oil can be purchased at your local GM dealership . Nothing to really check , just change it via the drain plug that is easily accessable . Every 2500miles and your good to go :D

Good morning Manny,

I wonder why they didn't plumb into the engine oil system, isn't that more common?

How much oil does it hold?? Sort of reminds me of a grain auger engine, no oil filter so you have to change the oil more often.

I had another question this morning too. I now have an understanding why you add the methanol or even water injection system for forced induction engines. But if I'm not mistaken, the ZR1 does not have this. Am I correct and if so why didn't they elect to do this too??

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning Manny,

I wonder why they didn't plumb into the engine oil system, isn't that more common?

How much oil does it hold?? Sort of reminds me of a grain auger engine, no oil filter so you have to change the oil more often.

I had another question this morning too. I now have an understanding why you add the methanol or even water injection system for forced induction engines. But if I'm not mistaken, the ZR1 does not have this. Am I correct and if so why didn't they elect to do this too??

Cheers,

Garry

Garry , alot of the centri superchargers are engine oil fed , the self-contained are better way to go becuase if a part breaks on the head unit, in an engine oil fed application , the metal bits could end up in your nice engine cause a major failure .

The head units hold 4 onces.

As for the ZR1 no using Meth , well there are a lot of things that people think GM left out of these cars .
GM would never add something like meth injection, as a matter of fact no manufacture would . Its considered " Racing Application " .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.