Feb 15, 2012
Wellesley,ON
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Z06
What the f--- is wrong with me?! I have a nicely modified C5 Z06 that is a blast to drive and that I love. Why is then, that I keep looking at Vipers?? :screwy: I've never driven one so it could be a horrible car to drive/live with. Anyone else ever get the bug for something completely different?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
What the f--- is wrong with me?! I have a nicely modified C5 Z06 that is a blast to drive and that I love. Why is then, that I keep looking at Vipers?? :screwy: I've never driven one so it could be a horrible car to drive/live with. Anyone else ever get the bug for something completely different?

I see your frustration, Justin, but ..... a Viper? -- Why not wait and go for a what promises to be a better car and get the new ZR-1 ?

In the meantime, you've got a little time to enjoy what you have and find an appreciating purchaser of what is one great car.

Yikes......You'd probabaly find a hell of a decent deal on a new '13 ZR-1 for that matter.....which is, from what I've read, at least an equal to Dodge's Viper.

Wow - A new '13 ZR-1! Go for it. At least look around and good luck.

You only get one go round.:D

Colin.

yup......50 bulletnose studebaker racecar arriving in the spring !!! :D

Justin,
nothing wrong with you ! As you may have observed, as Wayne
put it, one of us has gone over to 'the dark' side. From my perspective the
manufacturers of sports cars all have a different interpretation as to what
makes a sports car. Thus there is a remarkable variety of 'sports cars' out
there. Was there anything wrong with my C6 ? Absolutely not ! But the
thought of driving a Porsche was intriguing; no different to your interest
in checking out the Viper. Is there an ideal sports car for each person,
I don't know.
But why not take a Viper for a ride ? As I understand it you need to try
the latest editions, as they are much more civilized. Even models as late
as 2010 are real brutes and need an experienced hand. [ not that you can't
get in trouble in a 'vette; but overall the 'vette is much more forgiving ]
So...don't feel that you're being dis-loyal to corvette. You may even come
back to your Z06 with a new found appreciation as to what you have got!

Apologies for the rambling.

Tony,
welland

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do very much love my Vette. I have just had a bit of a wandering eye lately. A new Viper or '13 ZR1 is way out of my pricepoint. I'd be looking at an earlier RT/10, GTS (which has always been a favourite of mine), or a '03-05 roadster. I'm not 100 percent on this decision by any means. I just don't understand why I keep lookingvat these when I have a perfectly fun and capable Vette at my disposal.

I say take one for a drive and test it out! You may love it or you may hate it but at least you'll know. For myself, the power would be great and they are mean looking machines but I don't think I could ever get past the sound of the V-10, just not my cup o tea.

Good evening Justin,

Don't feel bad. Why do I look at vehicles when I have three pickups (one of which I have not even driven in three years) my Z06 and my Sentra SER. And I find myself looking at C5 and C6 verts, FD's, Skyline GTR's and so forth. God soon I'll have enough vehicles in the yard it will look like a used car dealership!

Maybe a case of over consumption and not being satisfied and feeling the need to consume further??

I've heard poor things about early Vipers, especially compared to similarly aged Corvettes. Thinking about taking a step down???!!!!

I agree though, test drive one and get it out of your system............and let us know what you think of the experience.

Cheers,

Garry in combining mode......

Guys are we talking "cars" or "woman"? Either way.....always take one for a test drive before committing to a relationship....see how they handle and whether or not they are a rough ride......just sayin'......

I think for me because I now own a Vette and have met so many great Vette owners, being surrounded by them frequently, they feel more common to me. It's crazy, I know. I have people giving me compliments, randim stares from strangers, thumbs up amd the like. I guess the Viper thing appeals to me because it "seems" a bit more exclusive. I've always liked the styling and how obnoxious they are. The sound of a V10 is NOT a very nice sound by any means. I don't know. I guess a test drive would settle any doubts I have regarding Vette ownership. Sometimes I think that I should just be happy with what I have, and enjoy it.

If you think the interior of a vette is cheap and plastic-like trash, go ride a Viper.

The best place to experience a Viper is from the outside looking in. They're beautiful and surely more rare, although more rare for a reason.

The best place to experience a vette is from right behind the wheel.

If you think the interior of a vette is cheap and plastic-like trash, go ride a Viper.

The best place to experience a Viper is from the outside looking in. They're beautiful and surely more rare, although more rare for a reason.

The best place to experience a vette is from right behind the wheel.

Good (valid) point. I've heard that the Viper interiors are terrible. I do really love driving my Vette. It makes me smile everytime. My cam upgrade is the single best mod I have done and I should just enjoy it. This forum is the best I've been on and I should just enjoy that too!
Brian had a great point with the grass is always greener. It could be a huge disappointment in everyway. Thanks again everyone for your input.

Last edited:
Good morning Justin,

When I bought my Z06 they also had a Viper for sale and the salesman told me, as they were priced close, if I could afford the Z06 for the extra few 1000 to buy it as it was a much better car. No doubt close in performance but I think usually in any head to head the Corvettes were always considered better........

And for me the buy was not just about looks but also about not coming in 2nd place to cars I would encounter!!

I still say test drive one and then give us your experience.

Cheers,

Garry

Good (valid) point. I've heard that the Viper interiors are terrible. I do really love driving my Vette. It makes me smile everytime. My cam upgrade is the single best mod I have done and I should just enjoy it. This forum is the best I've been on and I should just enjoy that too!
Brian had a great point with the grass is always greener. It could be a huge disappointment in everyway. Thanks again everyone for your input.

Glad to hear it Justin. What you have is really nice and is exactly the way you like it.

C.

My wife gave me a gift certificate for an exotic car tour out of Toronto. I drove Porsche, Viper, Lamborghini, Ferrari and back to the Porsche again all in one day. The roads were amazing that he had chosen and I think the cars may have been tuned down a little if that is possible. That might give you an idea of how some of the other cars feel like to drive. I you are at all like me, as a vette owner, at the end of the day the corvette is the best overall value for fun, dollars spent, ride and performance out there. It was a good experience and a very fun day and makes you realize how fortunate you are to own a Corvette!!

My wife gave me a gift certificate for an exotic car tour out of Toronto. I drove Porsche, Viper, Lamborghini, Ferrari and back to the Porsche again all in one day. The roads were amazing that he had chosen and I think the cars may have been tuned down a little if that is possible. That might give you an idea of how some of the other cars feel like to drive. I you are at all like me, as a vette owner, at the end of the day the corvette is the best overall value for fun, dollars spent, ride and performance out there. It was a good experience and a very fun day and makes you realize how fortunate you are to own a Corvette!!

Good call. My gf bought me a 1/3 hr ride in an Aston Martin. Nice car! It was easy to drive, nice power delivery, elegance and a beautiful exhaust note. As much as I liked it, I liked my Z06 better, and it cost me less to buy and will cost me less to repair.
The experience that you did is still on my bucket list and getting that kind of seat time in each vehicle gives a better impression of what each car offers in a good and bad way. Thanks for your input. Always appreciated.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.