Jul 31, 2021
Manitoba
VetteCoins
Car
Red Mist 2023 Coupe
Province
MB
I'm in the process of breaking in my C8, it's been on the road for about two weeks. 500kms on it so far.
In the last few trips, I'm noticing the car will vibrate a fair bit at 70+ km/h on certain roads with a lot of expansion joints. Even my wife noticed it while in the passenger seat. This did not happen in the first few hundred kms. I'm not sure if this is normal break-in for the shocks maybe, or maybe I have one of the 2023s with the incorrect calibration.
Did anyone else notice a change in the suspension feel as the car was broken in? I'm trying not to fixate on the issue, it just seems odd.
I have a Z51 coupe, and the magnetic ride control so far has been at the softest setting.

• Wow
Reactions: MKinOntario
I am at 300km and haven’t noticed anything like that. Z51 coupe with magride here.

In fact the suspension is fantastic. It is the best combination of comfort and handling I have ever seen in a car. Even on bad roads it never feels harsh (in comparison to e.g. BMW Ms) while having very little body roll when cornering.

Very impressive.

Reactions: Red Devil
I'm in the process of breaking in my C8, it's been on the road for about two weeks. 500kms on it so far.
In the last few trips, I'm noticing the car will vibrate a fair bit at 70+ km/h on certain roads with a lot of expansion joints. Even my wife noticed it while in the passenger seat. This did not happen in the first few hundred kms. I'm not sure if this is normal break-in for the shocks maybe, or maybe I have one of the 2023s with the incorrect calibration.
Did anyone else notice a change in the suspension feel as the car was broken in? I'm trying not to fixate on the issue, it just seems odd.
I have a Z51 coupe, and the magnetic ride control so far has been at the softest setting.
Mach, there should be no noticeable difference. Go get the suspension calibration checked. It sounds like your magnetic ride control isn't working properly.

I have a 2020 C8 with Z51 and MRC. With 12000 kms. Never noticed anything like what you described in any suspension setting.

Reactions: dkw
Is it possible it's coming from the steering wheel (tire balancing issue) especially if it's while doing exactly 70. Just a thought.

Is it possible it's coming from the steering wheel (tire balancing issue) especially if it's while doing exactly 70. Just a thought.
I thought about that, I will be jacking the front end up and inspecting the wheels. It does ride well if the road is smooth so tire balance might not be the issue.

Update: My issue happens under light acceleration between 40 and 60 kmh, with the engine running around 1500 revs. It no longer appears to be a suspension issue. I'm reading that this shudder is not that uncommon but the reasons behind it are unclear. I'm at 600km now and will wait until the break in is complete to see what happens.

Update: My issue happens under light acceleration between 40 and 60 kmh, with the engine running around 1500 revs. It no longer appears to be a suspension issue. I'm reading that this shudder is not that uncommon but the reasons behind it are unclear. I'm at 600km now and will wait until the break in is complete to see what happens.
The only other thing I can think of is the DCT having trouble understanding what you are doing. If you slow before you lightly accelerate the DCT alternate clutch could be in a lower gear at that time. When you accelerate it has to switch it to the next higher gear quickly.
So you are in 3rd at the time, let's say, and the alternate clutch is in 2nd because it thinks you are going to come to a stop (or slow). When you accelerate it has to quickly switch that alternate clutch to 4th instead. That could cause a shudder. Especially at lower RPM's

• Wow
Reactions: Rruuff Day
The issue happens when you accelerate lightly enough that no downshift occurs, usually in 6th gear or higher. It might be an engine lugging issue, I understand torque is limited below 800km...hope to rule that out or in soon.
It won't lug. That's the one thing it just won't do. I wish it would especially in manual. It shifts well before it can lug.

The issue happens when you accelerate lightly enough that no downshift occurs, usually in 6th gear or higher. It might be an engine lugging issue, I understand torque is limited below 800km...hope to rule that out or in soon.
Another possible cause is the switching between V4 and V8 mode. Mine (22 HTC, mag ride, non Z51, 15,000 km) makes some funny noises as it switches back and forth between V4 and V8 mode under very light driving conditions. As soon as I put a little pressure on the accelerator it switches out of V4 mode quickly and smoothly but under very light throttle it seems to have trouble deciding on V8 or V4 sometimes.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Another possible cause is the switching between V4 and V8 mode. Mine (22 HTC, mag ride, non Z51, 15,000 km) makes some funny noises as it switches back and forth between V4 and V8 mode under very light driving conditions. As soon as I put a little pressure on the accelerator it switches out of V4 mode quickly and smoothly but under very light throttle it seems to have trouble deciding on V8 or V4 sometimes.
Ya, it seems to vary greatly between cars. Mine is never noticeable, but I've heard that (^^^) a lot

Ya, it seems to vary greatly between cars. Mine is never noticeable, but I've heard that (^^^) a lot
Murray has a nonZ51 and I have a Z51 and I must say the switch between 4and 8 is imperceptible. I only know by looking at the dash. All of this to say it’s not related to the Z51.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Update to the Update: My last few trips have not had this issue occur. Not sure why the problem is gone for now. I'm trying not to fixate on the issue and just drive the car as I normally would. I'm at around 740 kms, I will report back after 800 clicks...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.