I totally disagree with you. Not that it's not great, but it's value to me and others. It's a no brainer to me. It's not worth the cost for my pleasure car.
Why do some race cars have ABS and some don't? Because it's a different kind of car with and without. It's a different racing experience.
Mostly because the rules for the racing class either allow it (or require it), or don't allow it. No question every race team would use ABS were it allowed. Even F1 cars used to have ABS until the rules changed to prohibit it. And ABS improves the safety of EVERY car on the street, whether used for performance or just cruising around.

MSRC improves EVERY Corvette, whether your goal is better performance or more ride comfort, or a choice between the two when desired.

OP, Mr. Corvette hinted at one important point. To get Performance Traction Management you need both Z51 and MSRC. Whether PTM is important to you or not I don't know, but unlike the C7 you can't get it without also ordering MSRC,

I don't got it, never had it, don't miss it. ;)
It's hard to miss something you have no experience with. I don't miss dating Kendall Jenner, because I've never had the experience. But I suspect if I had, and was no longer, I might very well miss it. :)

I suspect if you experienced it, you'd miss it if you didn't get it the next time.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
It's hard to miss something you have no experience with. I don't miss dating Kendall Jenner, because I've never had the experience. But I suspect if I had, and was no longer, I might very well miss it. :)

I suspect if you experienced it, you'd miss it if you didn't get it the next time.
IF I could afford it. (See how big the if is? ;) )

I know this topic has probably been mentioned in the past, but for those with Mag Ride option, would you recommend to someone who is not looking for the smoothest of rides? I honestly like to feel the "raw" feeling of a car in corners, just concerned the Mag Ride may provide a loss of connectivity to the road. Maybe I'm wrong... Wanted to get some real feedback from owner's if anyone is willing to share.
Thanks,
Sid

Magnetic Ride is similar to red wine. A $20 bottle of J. Lohr is fantastic, and honestly, I have never heard anyone say otherwise. In fact, you can find a lot of really great bottles of red wine for under $20 and could go your whole life only ever drinking $20 wine and live the rest of your life loving and enjoying red wine.

However, once you taste the perfect balance and full-bodied sip of a2013 Cakebread Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon, going back to the non-vintage California wine section of the LCBO seems... well, in a word, blah.

Magnetic Ride is similar to red wine. A $20 bottle of J. Lohr is fantastic, and honestly, I have never heard anyone say otherwise. In fact, you can find a lot of really great bottles of red wine for under $20 and could go your whole life only ever drinking $20 wine and live the rest of your life loving and enjoying red wine.

However, once you taste the perfect balance and full-bodied sip of a2013 Cakebread Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon, going back to the non-vintage California wine section of the LCBO seems... well, in a word, blah.
Jeff, this reinforces my point that those that have had MSRC from V1.0 in 2003 through V4.0 in 2020-2024 C8's won't order another car without it. What Sid was looking for was for feedback of driving impressions with and without FE2 or FE4 on and off the track if you have any input on that?

Jeff, this reinforces my point that those that have had MSRC from V1.0 in 2003 through V4.0 in 2020-2024 C8's won't order another car without it. What Sid was looking for was for feedback of driving impressions with and without FE2 or FE4 on and off the track if you have any input on that?
So, I don't have any comments about tracking the car, because honestly, I am not a big track guy. What I can say is, ripping the C8 into some of the tightest turning highway on and off ramps, the Mag Ride almost makes you feel like you are a better driver, similar to how the rev match on the C7 made me feel like I suddenly became a double shifting professional. If you want a slightly looser and rougher ride, I would skip the Mag Ride. If you actually plan to track the car and want to enhance your driving capabilities without using steroids or Adderall, get the Mag.

Make sense?

I did not order the Z51 or mag ride (trying to keep cost down) as my C8 is a cruiser. The ride is fantastic smoother then my Camry or Honda Pilot went from a 2010 Grand Sport (the ride was brutal) and its all I need The all season tires is a bonus as I do a lot of driving still driving it now.

I know this topic has probably been mentioned in the past, but for those with Mag Ride option, would you recommend to someone who is not looking for the smoothest of rides? I honestly like to feel the "raw" feeling of a car in corners, just concerned the Mag Ride may provide a loss of connectivity to the road. Maybe I'm wrong... Wanted to get some real feedback from owner's if anyone is willing to share.
Thanks,
Sid
I had it on my 2016 C7 and not on my 2017 and do not have it on my C8 2023. Do not see the difference. If you have the extra cash , go for it, if not , imo, it is not worth it.

Thanks,
Sid
Well, you can go by what each of us ordered, either MR or not, however, all you will hear is the natural bias that humans enjoy, by supporting our personal purchase. Or, you can do a bit of research on your own with professional and relatively unbiased reviews. It is there that you will find "unadulterated" responses and likely with some, some mechanical/electronic evidence of the value of the MR system. Some evidence of the MR enjoying a great reputation and hence value, is that as soon as GM bumped up against the patent lock they enjoyed on the technology, Ford & other manufacturers immediately developed their own MR and added the system to their own fleets. Hope this helps...Happy Motoring!

My first C8 had Magride and my current C8 does not (dealer mistake). If there is any way that you can add it without blowing your budget get it! You wont regret it!

When you put a C8 with Magride and Z51 in Track mode its like a different car. The way it changes direction is like a go kart! I miss it.
Is there ANY way you can add it? I think the answer is yes, but not without a lot of difficulty and expense. Aside from the shocks, you'll need the accelerometers and their mounts on the suspension, all the wiring harnesses, and a way to modify the software to add all the code related to it. I wouldn't be surprised if the parts alone cost more than the option. I think someone on Corvette Forum did that, but he had access to the GM computer and software and encryption. For the typical garage mechanic, I think it would be nearly impossible.

Reactions: PapaSmurf
Well, you can go by what each of us ordered, either MR or not, however, all you will hear is the natural bias that humans enjoy, by supporting our personal purchase. Or, you can do a bit of research on your own with professional and relatively unbiased reviews. It is there that you will find "unadulterated" responses and likely with some, some mechanical/electronic evidence of the value of the MR system. Some evidence of the MR enjoying a great reputation and hence value, is that as soon as GM bumped up against the patent lock they enjoyed on the technology, Ford & other manufacturers immediately developed their own MR and added the system to their own fleets. Hope this helps...Happy Motoring!
Ferrari used to license the technology from GM to use in it's own cars. Once the patent expired, they developed their own version, but they though it important enough to pay GM.

Reactions: KTJF and Murray20c8
Is there ANY way you can add it? I think the answer is yes, but not without a lot of difficulty and expense. Aside from the shocks, you'll need the accelerometers and their mounts on the suspension, all the wiring harnesses, and a way to modify the software to add all the code related to it. I wouldn't be surprised if the parts alone cost more than the option. I think someone on Corvette Forum did that, but he had access to the GM computer and software and encryption. For the typical garage mechanic, I think it would be nearly impossible.
Most people can’t or don’t change their own oil.

• Wow
Without bias, I prefer to find out from engineers how the systems work for all driving applications and reach out to engineers to ask about the technology. Here is a bit of a conversation today:
I'm a mechanical engineer who did suspension testing and development work for Suzuki racing GSXR-1000s in Japan. Skyhook, groundhook, a bunch of different algorithms available for magride. I can tell you the switch in the C8 to individual accelerometers on each corner is a big leap forward, skyhook is the predominant algorithm, and unsprung weight makes a bigger difference with magride than passive.
Question-I keep reading people say they don't need it and don't understand the difference it makes even on softer surfaces over the base suspension. I have read MSRC improves over the base suspension as well correct?
Different principle completely. Passive suspension works on Force vs. Velocity curves for the dampers where the damper generates a certain amount of resistance to motion depending on shaft speed. I can get into linear vs digressive curves/pistons and the whole thing.
With Magneride I believe almost all programs in all cars are now using "skyhook" which is an algorithm that is designed to minimize chassis acceleration (stabilize the platform), as opposed to "groundhook" which aims to maximize tire contact. I think it was either the C5 or C6 where the more aggressive (sport or performance) setting was groundhook and many found it harsh (because the algorithm is working to maximize tire contact, not reduce chassis motion) and the cars were actually faster around a track using the "softer" tour setting because it was using skyhook and drivers found it more predictable. Randy Pobst commented on that at Laguna where once he selected the softer setting the car was way better - he didn't realize it was the magride algorithm he was changing. GM later updated the software which essentially replaced the groundhook algorithm with a second, "sportier" skyhook one.

Passive dampers can be excellent, but 2 areas where magneride will excel are in weight transfer into corners, and over rises. Because the damper FV curves can be adjusted on the fly damping can be added as needed to both comp and rebound to stabilize the chassis.

Bilstein IMO has had it right with their damper curves which tend to be digressive. At low shaft speed the damping force is high in situations like loading into a corner, under access or braking- giving good stability - but then it kind of flatlines limiting feedback at higher shaft velocities from things such as cracks, bumps etc. Depends on the driver as well as some prefer liner curves. The shake rigs provide great baselines because you can set what is called "critical damping" - one full sinusoidal motion to rest - at a variety of velocities, which in theory should be ideal.

With skyhook as the algorithm prioritizes chassis stability it can lead to some underdamped "wheel hop" over surface irregularities (the priority is a stable chassis), and to work would ideally would require an unsprung mass of 0. This is why I believe with the Z06 they opted for the carbon wheel option. It addresses this minor weakness of magride tuning. I think now though GM/BWI has possibly gone to a hybrid of skyhook with a minimum passive damping available at all times. They keep their latest developments pretty guarded.

BTW-his car is ordered with FE4 and Z51.
Scott

Question-I keep reading people say they don't need it and don't understand the difference it makes even on softer surfaces over the base suspension.
No! You ASSUME that!
Many are just as smart as you even though they don't have an engineering degree!
Damn! Jack is rubbing off on me. lol.
Many do NOT need it or will EVER need it. Is it marvelous? Sure, but that doesn't make it worth the money for many?

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.