Jul 21, 2021
Niagara Falls
VetteCoins
Car
2011 Corvette Grand
Province
ON
Last weekend, I bleed my brakes on my 2011 grand sport using a vacuum pump at the calipers. Now, when I start my car, the brake pedal sink almost to the floor and the brakes feel weird during driving. Any idea what could be wrong?

Finally bleed my brakes today using my new Motive pressure bleeder. It worked like a charm and now, my brake pedal feel the proper way, a lot better than before. Thanks for all your inputs, this forum pull through again. Might you, I know there is still air trapped in the ABS piping, therefore, in the near future, I will be shopping for a scanner that includes a automatic ABS bleeder option. Thanks again.

You might be able to cycle enough air or water out of the system just by both accelerating and locking up the ABS on ice or snow (replace the fluid in the resevoir before & after using a vacuum pump and also compress the caliper pistons & rebleed the calipers). The academic method is to use the ABS bleed function on a ThinkDiag (www.thinkcar.com) or equivalent scanner. Brake fluid is highly hygroscopic so after cycling the actuators you will notice that the fluid in the resevoir is murky rather than clear if it has absorbed enough humidity. Also check how much lining is left on your brake pads as this is proportional to the volume of fluid in the system.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned earlier, I plan to purchase a scanner with the automatic bleed option to make sure that all the brake fluid is replace during a brake bleed session. BTW, I just replaced the brake pads at the beginning of the summer.
I watch a couple videos on you tube and this automatic bleed option appears to work really good. Now my decision, which scanner to buy???

A number of years ago I had Manny DaSilva bleed the brakes on my C-6. He used an assistant for this.
Attached a small rubber hose to the bleeder and put it into a empty water bottle....then asked the fellow to gently push the brake pedal while he opened the bleeder. Shut the bleeder off after a few seconds. Then repeat.
Topped up the brake fluid after every wheel bleed. No issues. Good firm pedal. It took no more than 20min. for all wheels.

Having a GM Nano or TECH II scanner is the cat's meow. It will automatically manipulate the ABS pump and tell you when to open and close bleeders. Just have to keep the resevoir full, and having as assistant open and close bleeders on demand. By using the Nano Laptop based scanner or the hand held Tech2 will also assure that all the old brake fluid is removed from the system. I purchased the GM Nano on Amazon.ca and installed it on an old Windows 7 32 bit laptop with only 2GB of ram. Easy to follow instructions on the supplied usb thumb drive and it super easy to connect to the car. It comes with a gm license to be able to access all the systems to make any changes. The license is good until 2030 and can be upgraded when the time comes. The Nano is good for all C5, C6-C7 and C8 as well as all Chev auto's. One program within the Nano is used for up to and including 2013. The other from 2014-present.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12cents

Users who are viewing this thread