Personally, I think everything is logged somewhere by something. I don't think it is reviewed by anyone but it's out there. It's just how technology has gone and being part of this time. Who knows how far this technology tracking will go in the future.

Personally, I think everything is logged somewhere by something. I don't think it is reviewed by anyone but it's out there. It's just how technology has gone and being part of this time. Who knows how far this technology tracking will go in the future.

:agree:
Tracking technology is more advanced than we know....They wont tell us everything...

I wouldn't worry about it too much.It's tower location, not GPS, and the phone companies collect this data too.

Its more then that, they can access everything you have ever done on the
phone, emails, contact, surfing, location etc, everything, not good.
When you connect your phone to the computer all the data of everything
you have done is stored on your computer, even if you just link with iTunes.
This feature is embedded in OS4 for the iphone, OS3 supposedly does not
have this feature, think I am leaning towards the BB torch.

The issue is that there's baseband location data stored in the cosolidated.db file. Nothing more. The funny thing is that it's nothing new. A different phone isn't going to have more privacy. Forensic techniques will pull things out of any of them that you'd be surprised at.

Yes the cosolidated.db (DataBase) file holds all the cell location and Wifi location
points. This file is then stored on your computer when you link the phone via
itunes etc. If a hacker gets on your computer all you data is there for them to
view. A bit different then a phone company just logging the data and flushing
on a regular interval. There is a method to stop anyone from reading the file on
your computer. You connect your phone to the computer, run itunes and then
in the Summary Window and click Encrypt ipod backup, enter a password and
then data will now be encrypted on your computer. There people working on
programs to read and port this info to google now. This have been done before
but as secret apps that run on the iphone and datalog your location etc. This
is in OS4 and from Apple even though they have said its only a bug and should
only hold the data on a temporary basis and not retain historical data?
We have enough invasion of privacy now as it is I do not think we need anymore.

If my computer was hacked, that file wouldn't be at the top of my list for things I wouldn't want them to have access to. Also, the data in consolidated.db was available prior to OS4. It's being blown way out of proportion. I would like to see something, anything horrible that's come from this file existing on the iPhone. Is a hacker going to go into your computer and use it to find where you live, or just take it out of your contacts info. I have seen no discussion about what could be done with this information, everyone keeps shouting that it's a problem.

This is just more info being blown way out of proportion by people that have a vested interest in fear mongering.

The "antennae" issue when it started was supposed to render the iPhone 4 virtually useless. Then apparently the phone was supposed to shatter is breathed on wrong.... Now this issue.

I'll bet you a million dollars that if I had the means I could prove that other phones log similar data. And what about all the malicious apps that infiltrated the Android market? Nope.... Never heard much about that either.

My advice, or opinion at least, is to forget all this non sense and get the phone that best suits you and what you want in a phone.