• Total voters

Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
I'm in talks with the folks over at TMP (Cayuga) Race Track to possibly organize a CCF Corvette event. Need a rough idea of numbers to negotiate better rates for our members.

Please VOTE if you're interested in participating in a CCF Group Event in the future (whenever permissible) over at TMP (aka Cayuga) located at 1040 Kohler Rd, Cayuga, ON N0A 1E0.

No dates and no commitment at this stage. Just a count of whether you'd want to do the drag strip or road course.

You can vote for both if you're ambivalent.

Thanks.

Reactions: Robert gaudino
I'm not much of a drag racer myself. Definitely a road course guy. If it meant supporting the park and this community, I would do both or either.

I had the opportunity to be a passenger around the track during a rack day a number of years ago. The guy is a pro-am drifter now and competes in Formula D, so I got a taste of what it's like to sit with someone who can go REAL fast. He was keeping up with all the other fast cars in his NA Miata with all 100 factory-stock ponies under the hood. A real blast!

Definitely want to run the course myself someday in the not-so-distant future.

EJ, you would have a blast slalom driving around potholes on our roads. But in all seriousness, there was a group that did autocross on the big parking lots (Vinland motorsports???) and not far away we have the Avondale speedway. It has an oval and an 1/8 mile dragstrip. Up until last summer it was busy. Have to wait and see what happens this year with the virus madness going on

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Atlantic Motorsport Park in NS. I grew up 20 miles away

Ok, let me rephrase that.

There are virtually no tracks, but that's true with anywhere else around the country.

There are 6 within driving distance of Toronto:

Grand Bend Motorplex, 2-hours 30-min drive from T.O., 2.2 km, 15 turns, 4 layouts
Calabogie Motorsports Park, 4-hour drive, 5.05 km, 20 turns, 3 layouts
Toronto Motorsports Park, 1-hour 20-min drive, 3 km, 14 turns, 3 layouts
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (formerly Mosport), 1-hour drive, 4 km, 10 turn, 1 layout
CTMP Driver Development Training Centre, same location as Mosport, 2.88 km, 2 layouts
Shannonville Motorsports Park, 2-hour drive, 4-km, 14 turn, 4 layouts

Two of these are within an hour of where I live. Can't give that up! lol.

EJ, you would have a blast slalom driving around potholes on our roads. But in all seriousness, there was a group that did autocross on the big parking lots (Vinland motorsports???) and not far away we have the Avondale speedway. It has an oval and an 1/8 mile dragstrip. Up until last summer it was busy. Have to wait and see what happens this year with the virus madness going on

I do enjoy me some autocross. The local club uses a local speedway as well for their events. Much fun to be had! Definitely going to have to see what we do with the events this year. I think there is currently a limit of 50 people in group settings right now. They might be able to continue with the autocross as the biggest turnout we've seen was around 35 cars.

EJ, I do envy you with the tracks nearby. I did 1/4 mile for a while with my old Camaro. Thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie of the other racers and had a blast at it as well.

When I was young, I had a friend whose father raced a drag car. He did it because he used to do stock car racing. Competitors in the latter always physically fought each other in the pits because they didn't like losing. Said he tried drag racing once and the people were so awesome, he switched right over.

There's several more tracks around S Ont. Without looking up....there's 1 in Oshweegan - Tony Stewart usually makes an annual appearance. You got the new one - Jukasa....Pintys series goes there. I think there's a place near Innisville that I can't recall the name. St Thomas is another, etc etc.

I've been using the strip at Cayuga for decades.
There were a couple yrs I didn't have a purpose built car, or bike. One memorable day I took my 15 yr old winter beater. A friend was also there. My plan was to hot lap my '86 5 speed Honda Accord, with 460,000kms on it until it blew up, and get a ride home with buddy. I bought the thing for $400.
So. Pass after pass. I was running solid 18's. The clutch wouldn't even fade. I kept hammering it beyond red line, every gear. At least 25 passes, all back to back. The car loved the abuse, sucked it right up, wanting more.
I wound up driving it home. Sold it for $800.

I've posted these before (from TMP Cayuga) the bike was a 10.25 run, and the car was a 12.5. I bought the car thursday, and took it there the next day.

There's several more tracks around S Ont. Without looking up....there's 1 in Oshweegan - Tony Stewart usually makes an annual appearance. You got the new one - Jukasa....Pintys series goes there. I think there's a place near Innisville that I can't recall the name. St Thomas is another, etc etc.

I've been using the strip at Cayuga for decades.
There were a couple yrs I didn't have a purpose built car, or bike. One memorable day I took my 15 yr old winter beater. A friend was also there. My plan was to hot lap my '86 5 speed Honda Accord, with 460,000kms on it until it blew up, and get a ride home with buddy. I bought the thing for $400.
So. Pass after pass. I was running solid 18's. The clutch wouldn't even fade. I kept hammering it beyond red line, every gear. At least 25 passes, all back to back. The car loved the abuse, sucked it right up, wanting more.
I wound up driving it home. Sold it for $800.

I've posted these before (from TMP Cayuga) the bike was a 10.25 run, and the car was a 12.5. I bought the car thursday, and took it there the next day.

I wasn't counting drag strips or speedways. I like my tracks long and twisty.

• Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I was.
I like all forms of racing.

Found this interesting tidbit about an old track I visited a time or two.
Others from the area might remember Speedway Park?

I wasn't suggesting I don't like all forms of racing, I do. Often, the crazier, the better, but I'm not about to take my 'Vette racing around an oval and, although I enjoy spectating drag racing, I'm not keen on participating.

Wow some great "historical" tracks being mentioned. Sunset Speedway is near Innisville (sp) north of Toronto, pretty popular place. Flamboro Speedway north of Hamilton is still running. Jukasa Speedway is the revamped Cayuga Speedway (not to be confused with the drag strip) a 5/8th mile pave oval that used to belong to the Slack Family. Much history at that track. Lots of $ upgrading the place. Special shows only there and some good ones.

There has been a few Speedway Parks over the years one on Highway 7 it was a dirt oval and right across the street was Pinecrest Speedway the other one near Hamilton. Delaware Speedway near London still runs weekly and special shows. To the south of there is, as axe mentioned, St. Thomas Dragway, which might just be the oldest race facility in Ontario. Sauble Beach still runs stock cars weekly. Dirt tracks to the east of Toronto at Brighton and I think Cornwall. Peterborough still has a few ovals running and of course the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park ex Mosport has many options for racing. And of course the multi use Shannonville.

Lots of race track history in Ontario and for certain all across Canada.

Reactions: 12cents and AxeZ06
Race fans.........
Here's an awesome link. Shows every "race" track that is, or ever was in Canada, several with history. Click the link below, and click your favorite province....

Thanks for the link Axe.

Allan Brown writes a yearly book called the National Speedway Directory and it is a wealth of information on North American race tracks.

Wondering if anyone has heard any recent stories/rumours on the "Super Speedway" that was to be built near Niagara Falls, Ontario? Lots of NASCAR drivers money initially invested Jeff Gordon for one, lots of obstacles from politicians of course, but I have heard nothing about it for years. Despite work being done it may in fact be dead in the water.

Thanks for the link Axe.

Allan Brown writes a yearly book called the National Speedway Directory and it is a wealth of information on North American race tracks.

Wondering if anyone has heard any recent stories/rumours on the "Super Speedway" that was to be built near Niagara Falls, Ontario? Lots of NASCAR drivers money initially invested Jeff Gordon for one, lots of obstacles from politicians of course, but I have heard nothing about it for years. Despite work being done it may in fact be dead in the water.
This development was initially announced in 2009.
I'd never heard of 'development hell', but that's where it's said to be.

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06

Users who are viewing this thread