What type of event would you participate in at TMP

• Total voters
Thanks for the link Axe.

Allan Brown writes a yearly book called the National Speedway Directory and it is a wealth of information on North American race tracks.

Wondering if anyone has heard any recent stories/rumours on the "Super Speedway" that was to be built near Niagara Falls, Ontario? Lots of NASCAR drivers money initially invested Jeff Gordon for one, lots of obstacles from politicians of course, but I have heard nothing about it for years. Despite work being done it may in fact be dead in the water.

Maybe they are secretly building it as a surprise for everyone Murray...Much like the Alberta Motorsports Park and Resort that was scheduled to open in 2019 near Drumheller.... Wonder if they are still selling memberships....:Banghead:

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Found this, re Ft Erie:

So when is the speedway well and truly dead?

The project can officially be declared dead on Sept. 13, 2020. That was the sunset date provision imposed on the zoning bylaw change in September 2012. That gave the developers eight years to purchase three pieces of land and apply for a building permit. If they fail to do so by then, the zoning bylaw change is nullified, and the entire area reverts back to its original agricultural designation.

Maybe they are secretly building it as a surprise for everyone Murray...Much like the Alberta Motorsports Park and Resort that was scheduled to open in 2019 near Drumheller.... Wonder if they are still selling memberships....:Banghead:

Eric were they not building a similar complex in British Columbia, seem to remember Mikey talking about it. Anything automotive racing related is such a tough go especially with politicians involved.

It is old history but the Canadian National Exhibition grounds in Toronto had a famous race track. Third mile completely flat. Started up in the early 1950's and ran to the early sixties. Huge community involvement, it was big business the papers at the time had reporters covering the racing and back stories on drivers and sponsors. They ran "stock" cars that morphed into modifieds and eventually supermodifieds. NASCAR, USAC and some midget racing groups from the midwest. Toronto was the place to be for competition. Friday nights the place would be packed with 23,000 fans, yes 23,000 the big specials brought in even more. Richard Petty ran his first NASCAR race in Toronto. Canadian Lloyd Shaw, a sprint car racer, with a few road races tossed in qualified his Jaguar for that NASCAR event (he put the same car on the poll of a NASCAR race at the famed one mile circular Langhorne Speedway in New Jersey).

Then the politicians got involved and decided what Toronto really needed was a running track. As it turned out, this running track that could of been built anywhere drew crowds of absolutely no one. The race track did reopen years later ran a couple of years but the glory was interrupted and sadly gone. The only time this facility approached the crowd levels of the Speedway was when the Toronto Blue Jays played their first seasons in the open park.

I suspect this is not uncommon for speedway promoters and owners across the country. Tough business.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Eric were they not building a similar complex in British Columbia, seem to remember Mikey talking about it. Anything automotive racing related is such a tough go especially with politicians involved.

It is old history but the Canadian National Exhibition grounds in Toronto had a famous race track. Third mile completely flat. Started up in the early 1950's and ran to the early sixties. Huge community involvement, it was big business the papers at the time had reporters covering the racing and back stories on drivers and sponsors. They ran "stock" cars that morphed into modifieds and eventually supermodifieds. NASCAR, USAC and some midget racing groups from the midwest. Toronto was the place to be for competition. Friday nights the place would be packed with 23,000 fans, yes 23,000 the big specials brought in even more. Richard Petty ran his first NASCAR race in Toronto. Canadian Lloyd Shaw, a sprint car racer, with a few road races tossed in qualified his Jaguar for that NASCAR event (he put the same car on the poll of a NASCAR race at the famed one mile circular Langhorne Speedway in New Jersey).

Then the politicians got involved and decided what Toronto really needed was a running track. As it turned out, this running track that could of been built anywhere drew crowds of absolutely no one. The race track did reopen years later ran a couple of years but the glory was interrupted and sadly gone. The only time this facility approached the crowd levels of the Speedway was when the Toronto Blue Jays played their first seasons in the open park.

I suspect this is not uncommon for speedway promoters and owners across the country. Tough business.
FREE MIKEY!!

Race fans.........
Here's an awesome link. Shows every "race" track that is, or ever was in Canada, several with history. Click the link below, and click your favorite province....

Many thanks for the link. The remains of Knight's Speedway is not far from where I live. I think there might even be a bit of asphalt left there still

Atlantic Motorsport Park in NS. I grew up 20 miles away

I’m VP of one of the clubs at AMP and been instructing there for years.
I could possibly coordinate with a club organizer to host an event.
it’s the cheapest lapping in the country, nice accommodations are :30 away, we have a caterer that comes to the event, and we’ve done quite a bit of repaving for this season.
The downside is there’s approximately 5kms of dirt road leading into the track.
AMP isn’t the fastest track but considered the most technical.... and a lot of fun!

I’m VP of one of the clubs at AMP and been instructing there for years.
I could possibly coordinate with a club organizer to host an event.
it’s the cheapest lapping in the country, nice accommodations are :30 away, we have a caterer that comes to the event, and we’ve done quite a bit of repaving for this season.
The downside is there’s approximately 5kms of dirt road leading into the track.
AMP isn’t the fastest track but considered the most technical.... and a lot of fun!

I use to race at Sackville's International Speedway's drag strip way back before it closed..After that we went to Oyster Bed Bridge in PEI to race. Also worked at a Yamaha dealer in Wellington before they went out of business in the mid 70's. One year Yamaha's racing team came up... watched Stevie Baker wow the crowd at AMP lap after lap in every class.... Do they still hold a music festival at AMP?

I use to race at Sackville's International Speedway's drag strip way back before it closed..After that we went to Oyster Bed Bridge in PEI to race. Also worked at a Yamaha dealer in Wellington before they went out of business in the mid 70's. One year Yamaha's racing team came up... watched Stevie Baker wow the crowd at AMP lap after lap in every class.... Do they still hold a music festival at AMP?
They don’t unfortunately. Super bike nationals still run in August. The rest is racing, Time attacks, schools and club HPDE.

By “Sackville International” do you mean the oval or the drag strip?
My father drag raced at Drag City in Sackville area in the late 60s with an E/Gas dragster running high 9s.

Sorry. I meant the Drag City Raceway track. Got the name confused. Can't remember the year... It closed shortly after I started going there. Your dad was quick for NS in those days. We had an H modified Falcon running mid to high 10's. Was a lot of fun but just a hobby for us.

News from Cayuga is we'd be looking at July earliest for reopening and a group event if there's sufficient interest to make this happen. I'd like to see at least 10, ideally 20 per category for this to get a great event going at a discount for all.

Reactions: Phil

Users who are viewing this thread