May 3, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
C7 2016 Z51Stingray
Province
USA
After using a short shifter for years in my high performance Sky Redline I am having issues with the long throw in my 2016 Z51 Stingray. I have seen short shifters advertised for the Stingray from 175-350 dollars.
Which brand does most people recommend? How much do they really reduce the throw 30-40%?
Thanks in Advance!

Luv mgw.....easy install too!

20190419_104040.jpg

Reactions: Lush134
Easy install ? I shudder when popping those plastic clips. As much as I’d like to replace mine,the fear of broken clips keeps it factory.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like the one to go with. Next I need to research how to turn off the 1st to 4th issue shift at low rpm. I have read it’s only a 25 USD part. The question is How hard is this to get to on the transmission. I do all my own work somewhat patiently too. Started on fiat 124’s and British cars 40 plus years ago rebuilding the motors and body works.

Next I need to research how to turn off the 1st to 4th issue shift at low rpm. I have read it’s only a 25 USD part. The question is How hard is this to get to on the transmission.

I got one (CAGS eliminator - $19usd) online somewhere.
Either jack up the rear end, or buy a pair of (C7 compatible) Race Ramps.
Once you get the arse end high enough to crawl under, it's a ~30 second task. Like falling off a log, and that stupid lock out gate never engages again.

Reactions: Lush134
Next I need to research how to turn off the 1st to 4th issue shift at low rpm. I have read it’s only a 25 USD part. The question is How hard is this to get to on the transmission.

I installed the skip shift eliminator today. It took me a minute to find the connector on the left side of the tranny but then it was only another minute to install it. Jacked up, installed, jacked down - all in less than 15 minutes.

Just took the vette out for a test ride with the MGW and skip shift eliminator.
If anyone with a manual has not installed this they are missing out on their cars enjoyment. The GM shifter is crap to say the least. I was worried I had gate issues going to 2nd before. All is gone now, smooth as glass.
Hard to believe the poor quality GM put into this shifter on a C7 with all the other improvements.

I couldn't believe the difference in quality between the MGW and the OEM shifter. The OEM feels and looks like it was made from tin foil compared to the MGW. Unfortunately so are many of the mass produced parts in these cars. I love the car, and I understand that GM has to keep costs down, but after replacing so many parts with after market parts, and seeing such a huge difference in quality, I think I would have paid an extra $5,000 for the car and had better quality parts. I'm sure GM would be able to get better quality pieces much cheaper then I could, given their volume and purchasing power. Enjoy your ride.

I couldn't believe the difference in quality between the MGW and the OEM shifter. The OEM feels and looks like it was made from tin foil compared to the MGW. Unfortunately so are many of the mass produced parts in these cars. I love the car, and I understand that GM has to keep costs down, but after replacing so many parts with after market parts, and seeing such a huge difference in quality, I think I would have paid an extra $5,000 for the car and had better quality parts. I'm sure GM would be able to get better quality pieces much cheaper then I could, given their volume and purchasing power. Enjoy your ride.

For anyone installing the-skip shift.....mine threw a code and engine light came on the 1st start up. P158 I think it was, it was related to the drive train. I cleared it and I has not reappeared today.

For anyone installing the-skip shift.....mine threw a code and engine light came on the 1st start up. P158 I think it was, it was related to the drive train. I cleared it and I has not reappeared today.
So nice to slowly cruise through the gears now. Best 10 buck aftermarket part I ever purchased

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.