I can start my car but if I turn it off it will not restart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rick
Try putting the battery back on a charger over night. Also, make sure all connections are super clean and add some Kopr Kote to the battery terminals for even better contact. A battery, even off a bit on the charge, can cause problems with the computer picking up all the info from the various modules when starting the car. If it doesn't it won't let the car start. Our 2005 Corvette had a seven year old battery and was working fine. Went out for supper last week and the car wouldn't start. Fortunately, we were on a grade and I was able to coast down the grade and jump start the car on the clutch. Next morning in our garage, nothing again. Got a new battery and all is well. One more thing, if it is standard, make sure that you put it in reverse and pull on the emergency brake. That is supposed to shut all the electrical stuff down. Too complicated for my liking but we certainly enjoy our car.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Could be a bad starter or dirty connection. Check all connections to be CLEAN and tight, corrosion at a vital contact is a problem on Corvettes. All ground connections should be checked. Once the engine is running, disconnect a battery post. If the car runs, the alternator is fine. If it dies, then obviously it is not putting out current. I just had this problem, but discovered the plug in the side of the alternator was corroded. Got a new plug, spliced the pigtails into the harness, and everything works just fine now. The junction block behind the battery should be checked and cleaned, requires removal of the battery. Maybe get a load test of the battery, ( once had one that was new and it had a faulty plate inside) An older starter that gets hot from engine heat can cause problems too

Battery starts the car but the alternator recharges the battery. Wiring between alternator and battery? Have the alternator checked?
Hi Carol. Are you meaning that your getting the same issue as RTK? WHat is the vehicle doing? Not starting after the car shuts off?
If your getting a charged battery from the alternator, it COULD be a ground issue if it wont go after its warm.

Metal expands when its warm and that could cause a bad connection that goes away when you restart cold. The metal contracts and you get enough juice to complete your circuit, on a cold start. But more info is needed.

Not enough information given here to offer a diagnosis.

Year of the car? What drivetrain? Etc.

How long does it have to run before it will not reatart? Ie: immediately, after it is warmed up etc.

Has anything been done to it just before it start d doing this? Ie: new stereo, something electrical changed, etc.

How old is the battery? Has it been load tested if it’s not new?

What is the voltage with the engine running? Not what’s on the dash, measure with a multimeter.

What does it do when it “won’t start”?
Ie: totally dead, starter just clicking, turns but won’t catch, etc.

Not enough information given here to offer a diagnosis.

Year of the car? What drivetrain? Etc.

How long does it have to run before it will not reatart? Ie: immediately, after it is warmed up etc.

Has anything been done to it just before it start d doing this? Ie: new stereo, something electrical changed, etc.

How old is the battery? Has it been load tested if it’s not new?

What is the voltage with the engine running? Not what’s on the dash, measure with a multimeter.

What does it do when it “won’t start”?
Ie: totally dead, starter just clicking, turns but won’t catch, etc.

The problem was resolved back in June. (See post #54 of this thread).

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
Battery starts the car but the alternator recharges the battery. Wiring between alternator and battery? Have the alternator checked?
Hi Carol. Are you meaning that your getting the same issue as RTK? WHat is the vehicle doing? Not starting after the car shuts off?
If your getting a charged battery from the alternator, it COULD be a ground issue if it wont go after its warm.

Metal expands when its warm and that could cause a bad connection that goes away when you restart cold. The metal contracts and you get enough juice to complete your circuit, on a cold start. But more info is needed.

Could be a bad battery like mine. And it was new from the dealer! I’d check this first.

Whoops. For some reason, only the first few posts showed up when I viewed it the first time.
Lol... No worries Tourmax. We all commonly answer old threads. When we click on a thread as opposed to a recent post, it takes us to the beginning post of the thread...... Other pages of the thread are shown top left and bottom left of the thread page. :thumbs:

pages.png

Lol... No worries Tourmax. We all commonly answer old threads. When we click on a thread as opposed to a recent post, it takes us to the beginning post of the thread...... Other pages of the thread are shown top left and bottom left of the thread page. :thumbs:

View attachment 30243
Ah, that might explain it. I replied on my phone and that screen doesn’t show up on the mobile version...at least not on the one I’m looking at right now.

Gawd, I soooo despise the “baby internet” that gets pushed out to mobile devices. Everyone has such large screens on even a mobile phone these days, it’s time for “mobile versions” to go the way of the dinosaurs IMHO...

:)

Ah, that might explain it. I replied on my phone and that screen doesn’t show up on the mobile version...at least not on the one I’m looking at right now.

Gawd, I soooo despise the “baby internet” that gets pushed out to mobile devices. Everyone has such large screens on even a mobile phone these days, it’s time for “mobile versions” to go the way of the dinosaurs IMHO...

:)
Agreed... I do most of my mod work on my laptop....also becoming obsolete.... I also have a tablet which I don't particularly like for logging onto the forum... and a mobile phone which is a pain doing forum stuff... But that appears to be the way of the times....

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.