you need to tell us abit more info. What year of C4 / engine ? define " will not restart " ? , do you mean it won't turn over anymore, or turns but does not fire ?

you need to tell us abit more info. What year of C4 / engine ? define " will not restart " ? , do you mean it won't turn over anymore, or turns but does not fire ?

Sorry I’m new to this.
It is a 96 coupe.
Once I jump the car it will keep running but if I turn it off I can not restart it. It doesn’t even turn over.

....hmmmm, you state you have a new battery which does start the engine but later it will not crank over or very poorly my guess. It could be a bad battery and I would have it load tested by a shop to confirm that it is a good battery. Now, when it was running, did you look at the volt guage on the dash ? it should show approx 13 - 15 volts which indicates that the alternator is charging. If you put the headlights and a/c fan speed on full blast it still should show 13 V or more but if goes way down to say 10 or something then the alternator is not charging enough thus draining the battery. The ignition system / electrical of these cars require alot of juice and if the alternator can't supply more than the demand then the battery goes down and won't have enough energy to start the engine again. You can double check you cable connections on the battery for no corrosion and being tight ( don't overtighten as easy to strip the threads.

....hmmmm, you state you have a new battery which does start the engine but later it will not crank over or very poorly my guess. It could be a bad battery and I would have it load tested by a shop to confirm that it is a good battery. Now, when it was running, did you look at the volt guage on the dash ? it should show approx 13 - 15 volts which indicates that the alternator is charging. If you put the headlights and a/c fan speed on full blast it still should show 13 V or more but if goes way down to say 10 or something then the alternator is not charging enough thus draining the battery. The ignition system / electrical of these cars require alot of juice and if the alternator can't supply more than the demand then the battery goes down and won't have enough energy to start the engine again. You can double check you cable connections on the battery for no corrosion and being tight ( don't overtighten as easy to strip the threads.
Thanks for all the information.
Once I turn the car off i have nothing when I go back to restart it. Seems like no battery at all.
Thanks I will check it out in the beginning of the week.

......Hmmmm again. it should not be totally dead so fast. Do this , right after you stopped it and say there is nothing.......put the headlights on....do they light up bright or nothing ? If the lights work ok and other things work with key on like the windows, radio etc, then the battery may be good and problem could be a relay/breaker in the start circuit is hot and won;t engage. When cold it works but as soon as it warms up it dies. keep looking, good luck.

Last edited:
Sorry I’m new to this.
It is a 96 coupe.
Once I jump the car it will keep running but if I turn it off I can not restart it. It doesn’t even turn over.

I have a 98 Yukon plow truck that had the same problem. Jump and it starts... no jump no start, no matter if battery as at full charge. I trimmed the cables back an inch to good copper, put new terminal connectors on and all was good. Seems when I jumped the truck, I would tweak the connectors enough to make decent contact. Maybe not in your case but worth a look.

I’m a bit puzzled here. So you started the car fine with a new battery... shut it off and it had nothing for power? (Dash buzzer etc) or it had dash power but wouldn’t turn the engine?
Then what? You charged the battery and did it all over again? Same cycle?
How many times did you go through this?

I’m a bit puzzled here. So you started the car fine with a new battery... shut it off and it had nothing for power? (Dash buzzer etc) or it had dash power but wouldn’t turn the engine?
Then what? You charged the battery and did it all over again? Same cycle?
How many times did you go through this?
Yes I did it over three or four times before I decided to give it up. No power at all.
I recharged the new battery and started all over again still nothing.
I even tried the next day and the same thing happens again.

Yes I did it over three or four times before I decided to give it up. No power at all.
I recharged the new battery and started all over again still nothing.
I even tried the next day and the same thing happens again.

By my understanding of this it sounds like you got a bad battery.
The guys above are giving good advice. I’d take the battery back and get a replacement. Start the car and check your voltage as suggested. A battery tester and a meter would be the best but start with the voltage on your gauge when it’s running.
Let us know what you find and we go from there.

By my understanding of this it sounds like you got a bad battery.The guys above are giving good advice. I’d take the battery back and get a replacement. Start the car and check your voltage as suggested. A battery tester and a meter would be the best but start with the voltage on your gauge when it’s running.Let us know what you find and we go from there.

I agree lots of solid advice. I am with Derek and the others that I suspect you got a bad battery. It happens too often these days with new batteries.

By my understanding of this it sounds like you got a bad battery.The guys above are giving good advice. I’d take the battery back and get a replacement. Start the car and check your voltage as suggested. A battery tester and a meter would be the best but start with the voltage on your gauge when it’s running.Let us know what you find and we go from there.

I agree lots of solid advice. I am with Derek and the others that I suspect you got a bad battery. It happens too often these days with new batteries.
Thanks
I’ll let you know what happens.

Thanks
I’ll let you know what happens.

So let me correct a few things.
First I got the car in 2008.
About 2 years ago this problem started with the old battery.
I bought a new battery last summer because I thought it was bad and that would correct it.
It would keep a charge for the first few weeks and then it struggled to start and finally it wouldn’t keep a charge at all.
In order for it to start I had to have it jumped.
The battery would not keep a charge.
That’s when the problem of not being able to get restarted began again.

The car has about 46,000 miles on it.

As for the volt gauge it would start all the way to max and after the car ran for a while it started to go back to the 13 - 15 point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.