I have a 98 Yukon plow truck that had the same problem. Jump and it starts... no jump no start, no matter if battery as at full charge. I trimmed the cables back an inch to good copper, put new terminal connectors on and all was good. Seems when I jumped the truck, I would tweak the connectors enough to make decent contact. Maybe not in your case but worth a look.

Good point Eric. I have done the same on the tow trucks I maintained out this way. Electrical gremlins are a tough one.

Just to chime in. I suggest the track to follow is looking for a drawdown or bad wiring/connections. If it was the vats or a key problem
it would become apparent when you turn the key and everything lights up except you will not hear the fuel pump and the starter will not function. I know this from experience and there isn't enough space , it is a long story.

Good Luck.

Blown windings? Or the solenoid?
Love to see pics of your blown set up too. I also have an 87. Mines a Fresh rebuild .040 over, stage 2 cam, air foil, chipped, etc. etc.

I’ll be at Area 27 later in the summer if you make it out to wine country let me know

Get the new battery load tested. Just 'cause it's new doesn't mean it's good. But first, pull out the battery, check ALL you connections. IMPORTANT! The terminal block behind the battery is subject to corrosion. disconnect every wire on it, clean everything properly, even unscrew the block and scrub it shiny clean. Reattach all the grounds tightly, then cover all with a light coat of grease. I had charging issues also (86 Vette) that went away after performing this task. Proper ground connections are extremely important on what is essentially a plastic car.

Hey @RTK
What’s going on with your car? Did you figure it out?
Lots of good guys spent time trying to help you. Update the gang on what you checked and found.

Sorry but I’ve been away for the past few weeks. Will give the results from all the great suggestions once I find the problem.
Thanks again for all the advice.

Reactions: ddgermann
Hope this may help you RTK. A few years ago I went to a mall came back out later turned key in the ignition and nothing, as if my battery had died. Called wife to come and give me a boost, put cables on and car stared right off. I should have had problem checked then but oooooh no, I went somewhere else a few days later and same thing happened. After the wifey berating me about this I said to self, go to the garage. Told mechanic what had taken place, he checked the battery, alternator and both were okay. Then the light came on in my little head, these car came equipped with a clutch safety switch and has to be smashed right to the floor when shifting gears, or in time shortens out the switch. Over the years I didn't always do that thus the problem incurred. The mechanic by passed the switch and I haven't had a problem like that since. I was glad I knew Mark Haibeck in Illinois as he was the only one who had a Clutch Safety switch. Hope this helps. Please let me know and good luck.

Hmmm........I cant resist, lol
......if your volt meter is spiking then going down. seems to indicate a bad voltage regulator. I remember the old ones had ballast resistors (hit the gas and the headlights grew bright lol), newer one not so. But I would also look into your starter relay. See if a full field is being generated by your alternator. A shop can do this for you also.
ALSO as a general rule in ANY electrical gremilns.....good grounds! Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Just a note to all that tried to help.
I finally got the time to work on the problem and after trying some of your suggestions I took the car back to the dealer where I got the battery and they found it to be defective and under warranty so it didn’t even cost me anything but the time to charge it.
Again THANK YOU for all the help and suggestions.
Rick

Just a note to all that tried to help.
I finally got the time to work on the problem and after trying some of your suggestions I took the car back to the dealer where I got the battery and they found it to be defective and under warranty so it didn’t even cost me anything but the time to charge it.
Again THANK YOU for all the help and suggestions.
Rick

Yup well done and super happy that it came right for you.
Enjoy your car 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.