Hey Derek,

Now that you mention it, that is exactly what it was, an interview. He asked me more questions than I asked him. Upon my second visit to pick up the car he wrote out a page of instructions on dos and dont’s including a lecture on Corvette etiquette. At the end of the page in large letters was “take care of my baby’”. He and his wife could not have been more gracious or helpful, he even accompanied me to the DMV to register the car. The wives stayed back for coffee where I was later told by my wife that they even discussed the car and all the fun that was had over the years. It seems Corvette owners are a special breed- nice people! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Reactions: ddgermann
Well then. Another congrats on what sounds like a great find. My first was similar. It was a 2009 coupe, 6 speed manual also in show room from the original owner. He was about my age which is fairly ancient but he wanted the new C7 in a bad way and ordered one a year in advance. So he advertised his C6 in March 2013 and I had been shopping since December and happened upon his ad the first day he posted. Him and his wife both had tears in their eyes when I took possession. And even worse, it was a year before he would take possession of his C7. And like you, I installed a Corsa exhaust and loved it. Another thing I did with mine was have the front end camber and castor adjusted to a close to zero set point. The front tires on mine when I got it showed the inside edges wore off right to the cords.... Common with track performance front end set up. I did this with my C7 right away. If you're not tracking your Vette, this will double the life of your front tires. Just a tip.... If you need any help posting pictures, let me know.

Eric
Thanks for the offer of help, Eric, and the great tips on the set-up. Currently trying to decide on tire type. Leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sports and whether to go run flats or not. My current stock Goodyear’s produce tons of road noise and i’m not sure if it’s the run flats or hardness of the tire. Anyway, I would like to try to reduce the road noise and was thinking non- run flats would help? There must be a C6 forum on that topic i’ve not found yet. Much to discover!

Upon my second visit to pick up the car he wrote out a page of instructions on dos and dont’s including a lecture on Corvette etiquette.

With all due respect,at this point it’s getting a little too much man. This is where I take the keys from him and I’m outta here.

You’re buying a car,,,not babysitting his bed ridden mother.

Reactions: G-ForceJunkie
Hey Derek,

Now that you mention it, that is exactly what it was, an interview. He asked me more questions than I asked him. Upon my second visit to pick up the car he wrote out a page of instructions on dos and dont’s including a lecture on Corvette etiquette. At the end of the page in large letters was “take care of my baby’”. He and his wife could not have been more gracious or helpful, he even accompanied me to the DMV to register the car. The wives stayed back for coffee where I was later told by my wife that they even discussed the car and all the fun that was had over the years. It seems Corvette owners are a special breed- nice people! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Nothing wrong with an owner who cares about his car and where it's going Jim. And some do's and don'ts can be helpful as well. Will never forget what my C6 owner told me. He had the car for a few weeks and thought to himself that just once he was going to light it up just to be able to say he did. He said he shut all the traction controls off hit the go pedal and dumped the clutch and by the time he got control back and the car stopped, he had faced enough different directions and scare the bjesus out of himself.... lol.... He never shut of the nannies again.... ... And etiquette is certainly appreciated among Corvette owners as well. Often I wish everyone had more of it.

I passed my interview a few years ago to get our 2003 Vert.
I knew the owner and the car since he purchased it new, as we used to enter
our Vettes in the same shows over the years.
My friend Gil knew me but still asked a few questions when it came time to purchase.
I didn’t mind at all, knowing that Gil was a perfectionist and cared was OK by me.
He said a few times “Look after my car.”...... I turned that around a bit and said “Thanx for looking after MY car!”
We would laugh.. He then knew it was going to a good home and I knew it had been looked after.
He usually comes out to my Father’s Day Show and sometimes hangs by the car talking to visitors.
That’s cool by me.

Believe it or not I bought a turntable this same way.... an acquaintance had a top-end turntable he was thinking of selling.. The deal took place over a couple of visits checking out each other’s audio systems before The table changed ownership. I even gave him visitation rights! LOL

Veteeple...I think you are lucky to be part of this experience.
Graham

Thanks for the offer of help, Eric, and the great tips on the set-up. Currently trying to decide on tire type. Leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sports and whether to go run flats or not. My current stock Goodyear’s produce tons of road noise and i’m not sure if it’s the run flats or hardness of the tire. Anyway, I would like to try to reduce the road noise and was thinking non- run flats would help? There must be a C6 forum on that topic i’ve not found yet. Much to discover!

Jim. I had Eagle F1 run flats on my C6 as well. I have Pilot Super Sports ZP (zero pressure) on the C7 and they are a world of difference quieter than the Goodyear's. The Pilots corner great and have all kinds of summer traction but you do have to stay off the pedal in cold temperatures.They are not an all season tire by any stretch and have zero traction in the snow. (I had to back out of my garage a couple winters ago on a skiff of snow and had to push her back in...lol). Some will say the non run flats are quieter again but i don't notice any noise from the Pilot run flats and if you can afford the couple hundred extra, I like the security of knowing that most times I won't need to trust a tow truck jockey who has neither the experience or the knowledge of how to load a Corvette. I also carry a tire plug kit and a mini air compressor in case I am able to plug the run flat tire and not drive 100 miles without air which will probably result in replacing that tire. That's my take but you will get lots of opinions on tires here.... ;)

And etiquette is certainly appreciated among Corvette owners as well. Often I wish everyone had more of it.

I can agree,to a point. The guy I bought mine from has never seen it after he watched me drive down his street. I’ve never called him,he’s never called me. Him and his wife are not my friends.

And had he started a “you should do this” “ you should do that” spiel,I would just given him a “yeah ok”. I don’t know. It’s just a car in the big picture. Sorry to be the buzz kill on the excitement. That’s why I keep saying. It’s for sale. If the right $$$ amount comes my way,it’s sold.

Haha- true enough- at that point I was a Corvette buying virgin and greatful for his advice and insights.
It has to feel tremendous with those positive Seller gestures before you get to drive away.
Maybe strength in knowing a bit of how that "soon to be your gem" had been generally treated.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeysZ06
Each to their own. I am not joined at the hip but am still friends and keep in touch with Ken, who I bought my C6 from, Luis who owns my C6 now, and Tim, who bought my Corsa exhaust for his C6.

I have attended funerals for several friends lately. I like having some spares.

I was a novice Corvette buyer when I bought my 13 Z06. Despite all the reading and forum mining I still was in awe when I arrived at Corys house to look at the car. He asked me straight out after a few minutes if I was new to Corvette. I admitted I was and he then proceeded to show me every little flaw on the car. There was nothing but a little expected paint chip and a little repair on the seat leather. He told me all about the tires cracking and showed me carefully the new tires he put on the car. He gave me the cracked set to burn off. He even delivered them weeks later. He had the oil change records. The car was still on warranty and he went through all that. The guy would not let me drive away with the car until he lubricated the door hinges. His wife is really cool and Michelle got along well with her too. We are still friends and he almost bought the car back before I traded it.
I find Many of the Corvette folks are like the people I've met through the Hummer club. Just a little bit more than mini-van drivers. (no offence to any hot soccer moms out there)
They spend big $$ on the cars and care about them and where they are going. Like minded I guess.

My first corvette buying experience. Door hinges getting lubed and meeting very nice folks.
IMG_4728.jpg
IMG_4725.jpg

With all due respect,at this point it’s getting a little too much man. This is where I take the keys from him and I’m outta here.
You’re buying a car,,,not babysitting his bed ridden mother.

Hahahaha. Too funny. I, myself would chat all day about the car and the do's and don't from the old owner. My wife has more your attitude Mike of "He's your cheque, give me the keys, have a great day, good bye". (I put that have a great day in there just to be polite to my wife :rofl:). She's a very straight forward, get it done and move on person, where I am a very willowy, it'll take as long as it takes, let me think about it person. So it's a blessing that I have her around otherwise I'd never get anything done. :rofl:

That;s a damn nice Z Derek! No wonder the old owner was considering getting it back.

Hahahaha. Too funny. I, myself would chat all day about the car and the do's and don't from the old owner. My wife has more your attitude Mike of "He's your cheque, give me the keys, have a great day, good bye". (I put that have a great day in there just to be polite to my wife :rofl:). She's a very straight forward, get it done and move on person, where I am a very willowy, it'll take as long as it takes, let me think about it person. So it's a blessing that I have her around otherwise I'd never get anything done. :rofl:

That;s a damn nice Z Derek! No wonder the old owner was considering getting it back.

Thanks Riley.
I loved that car. If it had a targa top I would probably still have it.
I’m often more like Mike generally.... ya ya here’s the $ ... give me the keys kind of guy and Michelle is the one who likes to take time... think about it... well we will let you know person. After meeting these folks and spending a few hours with them and the car Michelle said “get your check book and give them a deposit”
I wasn’t going to argue!
Next day we picked up the car.
That was a really great experience and left me with some terrific memories.

And the car was bought in Calgary by a guy who only wanted it for using on the track. Bet he’s having fun.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Hey Derek,

We bought our 2005 Corvette from an OPP officer who lived in Bradford. With their 12 hour shifts, he found that he just wasn't using the car enough to warrant having that much money tied up. He used Q-tips to clean the engine. The car was cleaner than new. Seven years old, 13,300 miles on the odometer and priced right, it was a quick sale. First car that we looked at and it was a six speed, the only mandatory option that we had to have. Over the years we had three silver '69 Chevelles and a silver '69 el Camino so the silver fit right in too. This will be our seventh summer coming up and no regrets at all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.